• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boston Men's Shops

Nescio

Reaction score
Next week I am heading up to Boston.
Which men's clothing shops do you recommend visiting?

acconrad

Reaction score
Louis

Actually...just walk up Newbury St and see what you like.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Louis Boston in Back Bay. Depending on where you are coming from you may like the Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers and Barney's stores near by. They aren't much different or better than anything in other decent size cities, but have a good selection and are better than many of the mall versions out there. If you get over to Cambridge, I have heard good things about Drinkwaters, but have not been.

pred02

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Louis Boston in Back Bay. Depending on where you are coming from you may like the Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers and Barney's stores near by. They aren't much different or better than anything in other decent size cities, but have a good selection and are better than many of the mall versions out there. If you get over to Cambridge, I have heard good things about Drinkwaters, but have not been.

Barneys in completely is ridiculously expensive. I went in during the 40% still felt I could not afford anything worthwhile.

VacheronMD

Reaction score
If you have a car, go down to wrentham outlets, they have a barney's outlet w/ sales going currently, burberry, ferragamo, off saks, lauren, etc. You can get some good deals if you look around, some hits, some misses.

acconrad

Reaction score
I second the wrentham outlets. Just go down 95 S to 495 N and its like exit 14 or something...very easy to get to.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Stone Street' in Cambridge.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
'Stone Street' in Cambridge.
I would add Alan Bilzerian on Newbury, and the Andover Shop in Harvard Square. If you've never have been in a J Press, there's one in the Square. - B

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
If you're from NYC, there is NOTHING in Boston worth seeing (except maybe the Andover Shop in Harvard Square). That disclaimer aside, check out:

For "Trad":
- J.Press
- Andover Shop
- Brooks Bros. on Newbury (second store in US after 346 Madison; beautiful building)
- Ralph Lauren on Newbury
- Hermes near Newbury (not really trad, unless you wear the ties with OCBDs and Aldens).

For "Italiano"/"My shirt buttons cost more than your suit", check out:
- Louis Boston (really not that great, IMO)
- Borrelli (on Newbury St.)

For other:
- Stel's (great SW&D type clothing -- APC jeans and other stuff which is even cooler. A great store...also carried Trickers Country Range shoes at some point)
- Drinkwater's (the only stockist of Hilditch & Key slim fit in the US, do great MTM shirts from several makers including Individualized, stock Southwick suits/jackets, also stock the high-end stuff discussed on the Streedwear & Denim forum, like Engineered Garments, they also stock Paraboot)
- There's a great glasses store about 2/3 of the way down Newbury St (going East to West) on the south side of the street. They have a great selection of Anglo American frames and Persol sunglasses

For bespoke (if you're so inclined):
- Rizzo Tailor

For shoes:
- RL on Newbury has C&J and EG branded for Polo/RLPL
- BB on Newbury has Alden, C&J, and AS (the latter two as Peal)...and also Paraboot
- The Tannery on Boylston for Alden (some models not carried at BB)
- Allen Edmonds (though they have one of these stores in just about every city)
- Barney's in Copley Mall has some C&J (sometimes models made exclusively for Barney's, also often on sale)
- Neiman Marcus in Copley Mall has Lobb Paris
- Saks in the Prudential Mall might have JM Weston and/or Church's

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Time machine?

For stores that actually exist, I would add Alan Bilzerian on Newbury, and the Andover Shop in Harvard Square. If you've never have been in a J Press, there's one in the Square.

- B

1. Stonestreets was not a great store (sorry)
2. One of the salesmen from Stonestreets is Gary Drinkwater, who opened his own (MUCH better) store north of Porter Sq. in Cambridge, called (guess....) DRINKWATER'S!

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
If you're from NYC, there is NOTHING in Boston worth seeing (except maybe the Andover Shop in Harvard Square). That disclaimer aside, check out:

- Saks in the Prudential Mall might have JM Weston and/or Church's

+1 on the NYC > Boston... the selection is meager, the prices are higher, and I just feel like there is a general lack of style and sophistication in Boston.

As for the Saks in Prudential Mall, the best shoes they carry are AE's and Ferragamos, no JM Weston, C&J, Lobb, etc. etc. Polo, Tannery, BB and AE are your best bets for shoes (the Polo store carries some ~$2000 shell cordovan made in Italy shoes, if that's your cup of tea).

boston009

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
For "Italiano"/"My shirt buttons cost more than your suit", check out:
- Louis Boston (really not that great, IMO)
- Borrelli (on Newbury St.)

Also Zegna, Loro Piana, and Giorgio Armani on Newbury St.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Much of the actual or aspirational dressing on this forum can be traced to Louis, since that shop introduced or helped to establish brands like Barbera, Rubinacci, Kiton, Borelli, Vass, etc in the US.

But the store is not what it once was. See it before its lovely building is sold.

- B

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is very little in any American city that cannot be found, and one-upped, in NYC.

One place I forgot to mention is Achilles Project downtown on Summer St. I have not been, but it looks like it's worth a visit. Very stylistic, especially for Boston.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics