or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Saphir Shoe Care Products
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Saphir Shoe Care Products - Page 2

post #16 of 68
Quote:
(now undoubtedly lost in the ether of cyberspace--the thread that is, not Ron)

Actually, I have been....

Quote:
1. Tell us the ways in which the Saphir products are superior to those in common use in North America?

Avel is the manufacturer of both Saphir and Medaille D'Or. Medaille D'Or is the higher line which uses turpentine as a base. Saphir is water based. Both use a higher percentage of beeswax than most other polishes on the market. By comparison, Kiwi is 90% Stoddard Solvent. Allen Edmonds is re-labeled Collonil (German), and is also very good.

As for the leather 'drying out', it does not happen from the outside, but rather from the inside. Cleaning/conditioning/polishing concerns the 'finish' of the leather, not the leather itself. If an upper cracks (dry rots), it happens from perspiration, not the elements. This is the reason for wooden shoe trees - to absorb perspiration from the linings and not allow it to ruin the more vulnerable flesh side of the uppers.

Can't add a thing to sysdocs regimen...
post #17 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
Doc, do you apply conditioner during each regular shoe-care session--i.e., to be then followed by polish--or only before the first wearing?

I don't condition often, and have found that my better quality shoes require infrequent doses. Essentially, I give them a shot if the leather starts to feel tougher/dry, usually across the vamp. Maybe once every six months or so? More often if the shoe is of lesser quality.

Essentially all I'm trying to do is keep the leather as flexible as possible. It just seems to make sense. I imagine that recrafting involves a good dose of conditioner, don't you?
post #18 of 68
Does anyone know where I can get Saphir polish in NYC? I am around Columbus Circle area. Thanks in advance.
post #19 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolecho
Does anyone know where I can get Saphir polish in NYC? I am around Columbus Circle area. Thanks in advance.

From what I understand, JM Weston just across the park has rebranded Saphir. I think it's a nice 15-20 minute stroll.
post #20 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolecho
Does anyone know where I can get Saphir polish in NYC? I am around Columbus Circle area. Thanks in advance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SAPHIR-WAX-BEST-...QQcmdZViewItem
post #21 of 68
I'm new to the Forum. Where can I buy these products in the USA? Online if possible.
post #22 of 68
I buy mine from Franco's at www.francos.com.
post #23 of 68
Thanks. I'm ordering them now.
post #24 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER View Post
As for the leather 'drying out', it does not happen from the outside, but rather from the inside. Cleaning/conditioning/polishing concerns the 'finish' of the leather, not the leather itself. If an upper cracks (dry rots), it happens from perspiration, not the elements. This is the reason for wooden shoe trees - to absorb perspiration from the linings and not allow it to ruin the more vulnerable flesh side of the uppers.

My apologies in advance for resurrecting a thread of such age, but given what Rider said about leather drying out from the inside, would it be prudent to apply leather conditioner to the inside of the shoe as well?
post #25 of 68
I think the problem with that logic is that most shoes are lined, and you won't be conditioning the flesh side of the upper by conditioning the lining.
post #26 of 68
I still cannot seem to justify paying over $9 in shipping for one or two cans of polish. If only there were someone to provide these fine products and ship them via cheap USPS mail (or even priority mail). The MOST polish I could possibly order is two or three cans/ jars!
post #27 of 68
I miss sysdoc
post #28 of 68
I need the Special Reptile, but it has been unavailable for some time now.
post #29 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Foxx View Post
I still cannot seem to justify paying over $9 in shipping for one or two cans of polish. If only there were someone to provide these fine products and ship them via cheap USPS mail (or even priority mail). The MOST polish I could possibly order is two or three cans/ jars!

Oh come now. The Renovateur is excellent for most leathers -- I'd order it in bulk were I you.
post #30 of 68
The Renovateur has that strange smell, but it is a nice general purpose cream.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Saphir Shoe Care Products