or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Handshakes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Handshakes

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
I don't quite get when I should be shaking someone's hand (especially women). What is some proper etiquette? I am clear about the regular stuff; firm handshake, look at other person (in eyes), not clammy, but what about shaking a woman's hand? When is that appropriate? What if it is someone I am attracted to - would she think I am a weirdo if I shake her hand (as it should be up to her if she wants to extend her hand to me)? Do women regard handshaking the same as men? I read somewhere that one shouldn't shake a woman's hand unless she extends it. That seems a bit old fashioned and (especially in business) should it matter if one is shaking hands with a man or woman? In addition, what about friends or strangers? With good friends, it seems almost silly to shake their hands everytime I see them but if we don't see each other for a while it seems to re-aquaint us. I have also read that it is rude not to shake someone's hand if it is extended, even if you don't like the person.
post #2 of 35
hmm... i extend my hand when i meet people. i dont shake peoples hands every time i see them. and i HATE when guys give me a weak handshake and they do the turn thing so your hand is like to the side, just cause i'm a girl. its gross. i mean you dont have to do the superman grip of steel and crush my hand, but just a NORMAL handshake is just fine thanks.
post #3 of 35
Interesting avatar, shellshock.
post #4 of 35
Refusing to shake a proferred hand is obviously rude.

I do not impose a handshake upon women in social situations. This may be out dated.

Friends either get nothing, a hug, or a light kiss. A handshake for some manly finality on occassion. These days some sort of hand clasp seems common among men.
post #5 of 35
I like to punch new people in the mouth instead of shaking their hands. Not because I am angry or hate them, but to teach them a life lesson. Strangers are dangerous. With flesh eating disease, ebola, bird flu, faux-thugs, frat boys, wiggers, nazi's, those to the far left or right, rapists, gay people who think they are straight, people in the under 20k income bracket, people with rough hands, people who wear socks with sandals, people who listen to boy bands, fast food employees, and people who don't sanitize themselves after they use the restroom, you never can be too careful.

I didn't punch Shellshock in the mouth when I met her but she looked relatively clean. Plus I was afraid of chipping a nail.
post #6 of 35
I missed you, Slim. Hope you have been well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I like to punch new people in the mouth instead of shaking their hands. Not because I am angry or hate them, but to teach them a life lesson. Strangers are dangerous. With flesh eating disease, ebola, bird flu, faux-thugs, frat boys, wiggers, nazi's, those to the far left or right, rapists, gay people who think they are straight, people in the under 20k income bracket, people with rough hands, people who wear socks with sandals, people who listen to boy bands, fast food employees, and people who don't sanitize themselves after they use the restroom, you never can be too careful.

I didn't punch Shellshock in the mouth when I met her but she looked relatively clean. Plus I was afraid of chipping a nail.
post #7 of 35
I missed me too... I just couldn't bring myself to post anything fun on AAAC.
post #8 of 35
I live in China. I try to avoid shaking hands since soap in bathrooms seems to be an alien concept.

Sara
post #9 of 35
slim that's an old-school avatar...couple years at least.
post #10 of 35
Yeah, its like a new beginning!

My hair is like a foot and a half longer than that now.
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I didn't punch Shellshock in the mouth when I met her but she looked relatively clean. Plus I was afraid of chipping a nail.

damn right
post #12 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I like to punch new people in the mouth instead of shaking their hands. Not because I am angry or hate them, but to teach them a life lesson. Strangers are dangerous. With flesh eating disease, ebola, bird flu, faux-thugs, frat boys, wiggers, nazi's, those to the far left or right, rapists, gay people who think they are straight, people in the under 20k income bracket, people with rough hands, people who wear socks with sandals, people who listen to boy bands, fast food employees, and people who don't sanitize themselves after they use the restroom, you never can be too careful.

I didn't punch Shellshock in the mouth when I met her but she looked relatively clean. Plus I was afraid of chipping a nail.

Ummm. That wasn't the answer I was expecting. Do you have trust issues?

I am curious, are you from Tokyo? I have never been there but is it true that one shouldn't look into another's eyes when greeting as it is considered offensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellshock
hmm... i extend my hand when i meet people. i dont shake peoples hands every time i see them. and i HATE when guys give me a weak handshake and they do the turn thing so your hand is like to the side, just cause i'm a girl. its gross. i mean you dont have to do the superman grip of steel and crush my hand, but just a NORMAL handshake is just fine thanks.

I understand you can't speak for all women but... A general consensus of women might be that a handshake upon meeting is normal?

Funny, I just spoke to a customer and she shook my hand.
post #13 of 35
Yeah that avatar rules, Tokyo. ~ Huntsman
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tck13

I am curious, are you from Tokyo? I have never been there but is it true that one shouldn't look into another's eyes when greeting as it is considered offensive?


It isn't offensive. It's just difficult to maintain eye contact while bowing.
post #15 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter
It isn't offensive. It's just difficult to maintain eye contact while bowing.


I think I like bowing better than handshaking.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Handshakes