or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Manhattan Sales Alert!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Manhattan Sales Alert!! - Page 248

post #3706 of 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiloVance View Post
... the same senior sales rep asks if the coat is bespoke. every time.
You're hard of hearing, what he said: "is what's inside that coat spoken for?"
post #3707 of 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiloVance View Post
Yes, definitely pre-meltdown. I went back and checked my email - I have an email from a woman who was working the register at the first one dated 4/15/2005 . . . edited for decency:

i know this is so nervy- but after you signed the 'sample sale'mailing list--- i decided to do so, too... and happened to *notice*you signed right above me... and wanted to drop you a note (perhaps as you had hoped? or am i crazy?) i hated this entire week of cashier work (first time on the other side of a cash register ever!) and the occasional interesting person definitely brightened the day.. lemme know if i'm out of line, i suppose.. enjoy those suits

did you put some creme in her coffee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiloVance View Post
Asprey was another one that was insane. I got a cashmere overcoat at 90% off for a little over $300. It has turn-back cuffs with little threads keeping the cuff together, so it looks like the sleeve has cufflinks. With Asprey's purple lining. No matter how many times I wear that coat to the Ralph Lauren store on 72nd, the same senior sales rep asks if the coat is bespoke. every time.

photos of the coat. I heard about the asprey legend, but never attended. Alas.

The Asprey store now in the city is a shell.
post #3708 of 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
You're hard of hearing, what he said: "is what's inside that coat spoken for?"

It's a she, but I suppose that could still be true.
post #3709 of 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynWeGoHard View Post
did you put some creme in her coffee?



photos of the coat. I heard about the asprey legend, but never attended. Alas.

The Asprey store now in the city is a shell.

um, no comment

I'll try to get pics up - its a pretty nice coat with patch pockets but no flap over the pockets. So it has a casual look. I've always been amazed that is lasted until the last day when everything went to 90% off.
post #3710 of 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiloVance View Post
um, no comment

I'll try to get pics up - its a pretty nice coat with patch pockets but no flap over the pockets. So it has a casual look. I've always been amazed that is lasted until the last day when everything went to 90% off.

That asprey sale might have been the best sale ever, i think aportnoy bought an entire wardrobe there.
post #3711 of 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievddr10 View Post
That asprey sale might have been the best sale ever, i think aportnoy bought an entire wardrobe there.

this will never happen again. When was the Asprey sale?
post #3712 of 5087
There were a couple of great Asprey sales. Some amazing stuff at even greater prices. There were a couple of sample sales at Soiffer Haskin, but they had a huge one when they closed down their shop in Trump Tower (replaced by a Gucci store). That sale was epic, with everything on an entire floor, with stock from pretty much every department, massively discounted. I walked away with a huge haul a couple of times that week.
post #3713 of 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
There were a couple of great Asprey sales. Some amazing stuff at even greater prices. There were a couple of sample sales at Soiffer Haskin, but they had a huge one when they closed down their shop in Trump Tower (replaced by a Gucci store). That sale was epic, with everything on an entire floor, with stock from pretty much every department, massively discounted. I walked away with a huge haul a couple of times that week.

when was the mega sale?

The new asprey shop has nothing in it unfortunately.
post #3714 of 5087
I think it was summer or fall 2006.
post #3715 of 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
I think it was summer or fall 2006.

ahhh the gold ol' days. aportnoy, grimslade, ambulance-chaser....the asprey sale in the gucci store was epic! those days are long over since all theses online flash sales came onto the scene.
post #3716 of 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievddr10 View Post
ahhh the gold ol' days. aportnoy, grimslade, ambulance-chaser....the asprey sale in the gucci store was epic! those days are long over since all theses online flash sales came onto the scene.

Asprey does not even sell stuff like that anymore - never seen overcoats at the asprey shop.
post #3717 of 5087
barney's outlet at woodbury commons has some deals...60% of lowest marked price on various jeans, ties, belts, etc

picked up a kiton tie for $40, a few zegna ties for $35, and a b&v belt for $19
post #3718 of 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievddr10 View Post
ahhh the gold ol' days. aportnoy, grimslade, ambulance-chaser....the asprey sale in the gucci store was epic! those days are long over since all theses online flash sales came onto the scene.

I think it was aportnoy who also started a frenzy at the store in the months before the big "crazy eddie"-like blowout sale, perhaps it was a PSA on this thread, they had nice EG wingtips on sale for like $300 or $350. A unique design for Asprey, it was in something like a burnt pine with a double sole and the medallion was an "A" in a nice script if I recall correctly. . .
post #3719 of 5087
Here's a link to a thread where member billiebob was selling a NIB black pair for $375 (ah, the good old days where members here flipped shoes at cost or with a small bump to cover shipping costs). A few threads came up but unfortunately none of the imageshack pics work any longer.

Its worth noting that, according to the thread, aportnoy went easy that day and only picked up the wingtips in acorn, willow oak, and mink suede Perhaps he can repost pics if he's got a second, otherwise I think these shoes will be consigned to memory.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...g+wingtip+sale
post #3720 of 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiloVance View Post
Here's a link to a thread where member billiebob was selling a NIB black pair for $375 (ah, the good old days where members here flipped shoes at cost or with a small bump to cover shipping costs). A few threads came up but unfortunately none of the imageshack pics work any longer.

Its worth noting that, according to the thread, aportnoy went easy that day and only picked up the wingtips in acorn, willow oak, and mink suede Perhaps he can repost pics if he's has a second, otherwise I think these shoes will be consigned to memory.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...g+wingtip+sale

I think aportnoy can charge an admission fee for an exhibit on all his shoes, sfers get in half price
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Manhattan Sales Alert!!