• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Match.com

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My roomate has banged a lot of ugly girls using match.com. I woudln't call it a success story though...

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine met her current bf through there. They've been dating for a year now, and seem happy. But before him, there were a lot of douchebags, however.

Oh, if by "success" you meant hookups, then I know of none.

graphite

Reaction score
i'm on it. not working out great for me. maybe it's just me, though.

seems the vast majority of girls in my area are christian and only looking for white guys. if you're christian and white maybe you're good to go.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know three couples who got married off of match, and numerous friends who use it for dating with varying levels of success (both in terms of hookups and just meeting people they actually like).

Match and the other online dating services are a great way to just get yourself out on dates. If you're looking to get married, match or eharmony are good and there are numerous specialty sites that are lifestyle specific. Ones I've heard about include - people who are democrat leaning, republican leaning, christian, jewish, professionals, etc.

Most of the gals I know that are really serious about meeting someone are on multiple sites.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by graphite
seems the vast majority of girls in my area are christian and only looking for white guys. if you're christian and white maybe you're good to go.

Even in Baghdad?
crazy.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Even in Baghdad?
crazy.gif

Those dudes don't tend to blow themselves up.
rimshot.gif

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are their actually good looking women on these sites? I've always figured they're full of girls who don't get asked out enough in real life.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually just got out of a year-long relationship that originated on match. Definately need to be selective, not too many good looking girls on there and the decent looking ones tend to be crazy (probably not just a match.com thing...) No complaints about the ex though, great girl.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Are their actually good looking women on these sites? I've always figured they're full of girls who don't get asked out enough in real life.

I'm sure there are, but they are probably checklist crazy because they can be (cause the attractive ones get asked out by hundreds of guys). Anyway, online dating is too much trouble. First you have to email, then chat, then phone, then actually meet. And even then, you don't know what they really look like, so you could be sorely disappointed. It's so much less trouble the old-fashioned way. If you get rejected you know right away, and you haven't wasted all that time chatting and emailing.

auto90403

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278

You'd be surprised.

A few years back, when I was single, I was meeting the hottest women on dating sites. All of them claimed that the men they were meeting via routine social encounters were not datable -- married, gay, too old, whatever. Dating sites exposed them to a pool of eligible men. Sure, they ended up meeting men who in real life did not measure up to what they claimed in their ads. But they met many guys who were just right for what they were seeking. And who they would not otherwise have met.

My sense is, if you're good (or bad) at meeting/chasing/seducing girls in real life, you'll do exactly as well online. Online just gives you more at-bats.

But if you're batting .157 in real life, you're likely still to be a .157 hitter online.

Then again, hitting .157 on 100 dates is a lot better than hitting .157 on 10.

Asterix

Reaction score
A few ladies I know met their boyfriends there and one is actually getting married in September.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads