• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need help with buying a watch

shyguy9786

Reaction score
I would like to get a watch. I never had a real watch, except for my running watch. I want to get a watch that you can wear with a suit or for a casual attire. I don't know if i should get steel or leather. I have really small wrists though, like 6 1/4 inches. Is that going to be a problem? Also i'm not looking to get something ridiculously expensive either. Where should I go to find one? What brands do you think would be good for me? Thanks.

Trendy Sing Sing

Reaction score
Price Range?

Trendy Sing Sing

Reaction score
Bulova? Fossil? Those are around your price range. If the watch is too big, you can always get some links removed on a steel watch, I prefer steel anyway. I hope this helps

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
$200? go to a thrift store and buy a vintage watch

kontai69

Reaction score
This forum is also helpful...
http://forums.watchuseek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71

To get an idea of what watches are out there, go to overstock.com and search watches there. Also, go to the mall and try stuff on to get an idea of what fits and doesn't.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
I recommend Christopher Ward. I just ordered a C3 and used the chrono10 coupon code and got mine shipped for about $220 USD. It's a quartz movement, but hard to get an automatic for around this price. I have their C5 Malvern automatic and it's a nice watch that I paid about $250 for before the prices went up.

East Oakland

Reaction score
Don't get a mechanical watch at this price point. Anything new will be terrible quality, and vintage mechanical watches can take a lot of effort to keep running--blowing your budget.

Fossils have **** Chinese quartz movements. Your best bet at this price point will be something with a Japanese quartz movement, like a Seiko.

If you go slightly over your budget you could get something with a sapphire crystal, which is much more difficult to scratch than glass. Something like this:

http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-...z_SBQK085.html

If you just want a decent quartz watch that looks modern and not like something off the shelf at Costco, I have always liked the looks of Mondaine Swiss Railway Watch:

fullsize1.jpg

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Skagen in your price range. Well, some of them, anyway. The simpler designs with the steel mesh bands.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads