• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cigarettes

RamNYC

Reaction score
What do people think of smoking cigarettes...I know there will be those of you that flip out for even proosing such a question, but hell, some of us might have other opinions. I enjoy Parliament Lights, basically now just socially. I don't really smoke during the day, but occasionally I can be caught lighting up. To be honest, I think at times smoking can be quite classy.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smoking looks cool, and gives me a dizzying buzz.

but it's pretty unhealthy, and my wife hates it when i smell like smoke, so i don't do it.

that said, my favorites are (used to be) nat sherman Mints.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
If you don't do it that often, why smoke Parliaments? I go to my local tobaccy shop and pick out the most exotic brand I can find. Or I just smoke Camel Non-Filtereds so I look like a hardass.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, smoking kills. And, nicotine is as addictive as heroin. Then there's this famous one-liner: "Kissing a person who smokes is like licking an ash tray."

RamNYC

Reaction score
If you don't do it that often, why smoke Parliaments?
I never thought about that. I actually enjoy the taste of Parliament.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smoking is cool. I do it occasionally when I drink. When I'm smoking a cigarette, I feel like I'm on top of the world.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
....  And, nicotine is as addictive as heroin.  ....
not exactly. in fact it's probably easier to get hooked on cigs than on heroin, at least statistically (but that's probably partly due to the fact that cigs are milder with their effects).

however nicotine is only addictive in some people, some of the time. it depends on individual body reactions. a fifth of all smokers don't smoke every day, and don't suffer withdrawal symptoms when they abstain. i'm not sure how that compares with heroin (i have a feeling it's less discriminating about whom it addicts), but studies have shown that there's a vast difference between those who experiment with heroin and coke and those who go on to be hardcore users. that part is similar with cigarettes.

but it isn't the healthiest habit to form.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fb: From what I've seen and read about cigs, it appears they are addictive to MOST people. Not just some. Or at least a large number. I don't know how many times I've talked to smokers who say it is extremely hard to kick them. And, there is a whole line of products to help people quit. And, I got my comparison from Koop.

Please stop. It is NOT classy to have emphysema. Cancer is NOT classy. Nothing about cigs is classy. Absolutely nothing.

RamNYC

Reaction score
This is exactly what I didn't want this topic to become. People who are going to bash smoking and ramble on about cancer and emphysemia...please stop posting. We know the side effects. That's not what this topic is about. I enjoy an occasional smoke and so do others. Let us have a forum free from the surgeon general.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RamNYC: Too bad. You start a thread extolling the virtues of a deadly substance and don't want people to bash it. Then go to a smoking forum. Keep smoking. Kill yourself. Don't care about how your loved ones feel. And, don't care about the health costs of taking care of your sick dying body. Just keep thinking you're invulnerable.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you know what, i don't smoke, so don't tell me to stop. and if you're telling the smokers to stop, it ain't going to help.

besides, smoking does look cool, no matter how many times you say it doesn't. that's why kids do it. that, and because everyone is telling them not to. people do dangerous things, especially when they're kids, simply because it's dangerous.

---

it's a fact, though, that different people have different reactions to nicotine, and these reactions are in large part contributory to whether they go on to become addicts. in other words, nicotine does not enslave everyone who comes in contact with it. some have no tolerance for it at all and stop after the first cigarette. some have tolerance (and enjoyment), but not for large doses. and some (most, i suppose) have tolerance for large doses and are at risk for becoming addicted.

addiction is developmental. all smokers start out in control of their habit - the so-called "chippers". in time - it takes years - the future heavy smokers escalate their habit, while some of the chippers remain in control, the equivalent of social drinkers. they truly can stop whenever they want. it could be genetic, who knows.

(i'm getting my info from 'the tipping point' (yes, by now i am demonstrating undue influence by this book) - gladwell cites the studies involved, but it's too tedious to type all that out here.)

RamNYC

Reaction score
you know what, i don't smoke, so don't tell me to stop. and if you're telling the smokers to stop, it ain't going to help.
Exactly Faustian (sp?). You got it right, that's why many of us smoke, think its cool to, etc. Thanks for sticking up for the rights of smokers.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Smoking undeniably has glamour about it.

Besides, the accessories one can acquire for smoking are very beautiful, and sometimes fun.

Carat gold lighters, cigarette cases in enamel, gemstones, etc, cigarette holders, and all that.

RamNYC

Reaction score
I think moderation is key. An occasional cigarette will probably do some harm, but hell, if you like the taste, appeal, etc. I say go for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads