• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*UPDATED* A problem with high end shoe maker minor job.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently took a pair of shoes from one of the English shoe makers in the highest tier to the shop (whom I shall not name because I do not want them publicly ousted) in order to have a very minor job performed upon them - putting metal tips on them. I took them to the shop so I could have the peace of mind that a quality job would be performed.

The problem is, that when they returned from the job, along the sole were two deep long incised marks, as well as a very nasty burn / scuff mark on one of the toes.

I have been refunded for the job, and the shoes are being returned to the factory in an attempt to get the mark out - though I think both they and I know that it is quite futile and the whole process will probably take about two months.

What should I do about this? Do I have a right to ask for a new pair of shoes? Or is the fact that they are potentially going to refurb the whole shoe (although I doubt they will get the mark out) enough?

*SEE UPDATE BELOW*

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The damage is to both the sole (which cannot be seen when worn), and the toe (which is quite evident when worn).

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
OK, by "toe" I wasn't sure if you meant the front edge of the sole or the upper itself.

Were these new? If so and the upper is damaged, I'd say they owe you a new pair of shoes. If they wouldn't sell them that way in the shop, they shouldn't foist them upon you.

If they're worn, I guess compensation would depend on the wear and the severity of the damage.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They had been worn once, which is the advice I was given as regarding putting metal toe taps on them.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You took them to the shoemaker's own shop? If I understand that point correctly, and they irreparably damaged the shoes, they should replace them. Absolutely.

whistle&flute

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
I recently took a pair of shoes from one of the English shoe makers in the highest tier to the shop (whom I shall not name because I do not want them publicly ousted) in order to have a very minor job performed upon them - putting metal tips on them. I took them to the shop so I could have the peace of mind that a quality job would be performed.

The problem is, that when they returned from the job, along the sole were two deep long incised marks, as well as a very nasty burn / scuff mark on one of the toes.

I have been refunded for the job, and the shoes are being returned to the factory in an attempt to get the mark out - though I think both they and I know that it is quite futile and the whole process will probably take about two months.

What should I do about this? Do I have a right to ask for a new pair of shoes? Or is the fact that they are potentially going to refurb the whole shoe (although I doubt they will get the mark out) enough?

If the shoe was new I would demand a new pair, but if not then give them a chance to rectify the mistake which I doubt they will, then demand a new pair

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is unacceptable that you have to wait upwards to two months for your shoes to return. I would politely ask for a new pair seeing as you only used the shoes once. And I think the argument Doc makes, that they wouldn't give your shoes to a new customer will serve you well.

nioh

Reaction score
Unless they manage to successfully repair the damages, I wouldn't except anything but a new pair of shoes.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
You took them to the shoemaker's own shop? If I understand that point correctly, and they irreparably damaged the shoes, they should replace them. Absolutely.

Def +1 here i wouldnt have thought there was any doubt even in their minds surely ???

Have you asked for a new pair ??????

marin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
It is unacceptable that you have to wait upwards to two months for your shoes to return. I would politely ask for a new pair seeing as they only used the shoes once. And I think the argument Doc makes, that they wouldn't give your shoes to a new customer will serve you well.

+1. If they have any pride in serving their customers, this will be a simple decision for a high-end store

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't asked for a new pair yet - no. They were very accommodating but the overall experience is that ultimately I'm probably going to end up with a ruined pair of shoes, unless I get rather aggressively upset and demand a new pair.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
I haven't asked for a new pair yet - no. They were very accommodating but the overall experience is that ultimately I'm probably going to end up with a ruined pair of shoes, unless I get rather aggressively upset and demand a new pair.

You my boy need a "northern" friend to look after you , this will be solved very easily , where do we meet for this showdown? you will go to the ball Cinders and in unmarked shoes !!!!!! Get tough my friend they takin the piss even trying to mend em !!!!!

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
It is unacceptable that you have to wait upwards to two months for your shoes to return. I would politely ask for a new pair seeing as they only used the shoes once. And I think the argument Doc makes, that they wouldn't give your shoes to a new customer will serve you well.

Absolutely agree. I would contact them immediately. Why should you have to wait 2 months for their mistake?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads