or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Networking for College Students
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Networking for College Students

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
As a rising senior in college, I have really begun to understand the importance of networking. All of my internships (4) have been through school, fraternity alumni (I probably would not have had them if it wasn't for networking) and I am very appreciative of the social network I have been able to attain. What I'm really trying to do though is hone in on my skills and I have a couple of questions. Obviously straight-up asking for a job will likely not get you one, but what is the correct way to go about it? You more experienced fellows please chime in. If you had a younger person such as myself who was looking for job experience, what would you want to see out of us? What qualities impress you? What sticks out the most in a candidate? My field is broadcast journalism so networking is very important, if not downright essential.
post #2 of 23
I've "talent scouted" at university networking events and such. I like when students aren't afraid to introduce themselves to me, when they show some drive and motivation, but aren't total asskissers, I also look for the ones that balance things like school, jobs, extracurricular stuff, etc. If I hire the person, I've got to work with them. . . I sure as shit don't want a boring person in the office, so show some personality. 4.0 with no job doesn't impress me, it says you are a nerd. I want the solid 3.5 that worked a job or volunteered heavily with the same org for a few years, etc.

But that is me. I don't actively try to be unconventional about these things, it just comes naturally for me. I've seen many asskisses get hired.

In more general terms, people always like to talk about themselves. Thus the easiest way to network is to call someone up and say "hey, I'm interested in learning about what you do. . . could we talk about that sometime?"
post #3 of 23
Confident Good suit (almost never) Eloquent and sociable (don't be a goddamn creep) Smart (good resume/decent GPA) Manages to say something intelligent (almost impossible) For girls, if she is hot and intelligent, she is in. For guys you have to do a little bit better. That's what I look for anyway when I do recruiting.
post #4 of 23
I'm entering college this fall, so this thread will be a tremendous help.
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorMatador View Post
As a rising senior in college, I have really begun to understand the importance of networking. All of my internships (4) have been through school, fraternity alumni (I probably would not have had them if it wasn't for networking) and I am very appreciative of the social network I have been able to attain.

What I'm really trying to do though is hone in on my skills and I have a couple of questions.

Obviously straight-up asking for a job will likely not get you one, but what is the correct way to go about it?

You more experienced fellows please chime in. If you had a younger person such as myself who was looking for job experience, what would you want to see out of us?

What qualities impress you? What sticks out the most in a candidate?

My field is broadcast journalism so networking is very important, if not downright essential.



1. Look through your schools alumni network database (ask through career services).
2. Find about a dozen people who are in careers or studied fields you are interested in.
3. Email them. When doing so, introduce yourself and explain how you found them. Explain why you are reaching out to them - here ask about how they got into their field and you are interested in breaking into it when you graduate. Attach your resume for their reference.

Outcome:
1. They know you want a job but you aren't going to tell them that. The plan is to create a dialog with them where they can help you build a better resume (almost all would provide suggestions if your resume is shitty), and also point you in a positive direction in figuring out what you want and how to attain it.
2. People love to talk about themselves, and also love to feel valuable (you reaching out to them). So they will do all they can to explain to you how they got in their fields and how you can begin to think about doing the same.
3. Eventually, they will tell you (those in a field you are interested in) they will pass your resume along. Or maybe even email you contacts. But do not ask for this! If they are able or willing to help they will suggest it.

If you have more questions PM me.
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
I'm entering college this fall, so this thread will be a tremendous help.


People will be highly impressed if as a freshman you begin to reach out to them.
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodum5 View Post
People will be highly impressed if as a freshman you begin to reach out to them.

+1. Being that young makes you seem much less threatening and simply more eager to learn. Enjoy it while you can. lol
post #8 of 23
Thread Starter 
So the impression I'm getting (which is what I've been doing) is just be a real person, and noone likes kiss asses with 4.0's and no activities. Looking at it from the other side it makes total sense. You're going to be working with this person, you don't want a weirdo or a total dunce. Thanks for the replies, if anyone else has something please contribute to the thread. Gotta mind those lurkers.
post #9 of 23
College Job Bank is a really good website that I've used. Also looking at your Alumni network is a good way to network. And having a LinkedIn profile is almost a must nowadays.
post #10 of 23
What about 4.0's with tons of activities, and a great personality?
post #11 of 23
Bump this thread for those who've just started their semesters. Any additional advice would be gladly appreciated.
post #12 of 23
Don't forget to have fun.
post #13 of 23
fraternity +++
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post
fraternity +++
And invite alums for lunch.
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodum5 View Post
Don't forget to have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post
fraternity +++

Quote:
Originally Posted by unjung View Post
And invite alums for lunch.

Thank you. x3

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Networking for College Students