or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Ask me about Eyewear!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask me about Eyewear! - Page 180

post #2686 of 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironist View Post

So I just got my glasses from *gasp* Lenscrafters. I bought them there because of my insurance policy but I probably didn't end up saving much overall. Each pair was like $400 each with the high index lenses, coating, roll and polish. I did stick to the Persol and Rayban as per city's recommendations.

My prescription was OD -650 -025 130 and OS -750 -025 055 SV Distance. I took the sales associate's suggestion for 1.67 index, AR, and roll and polish. She said I wouldn't gain that much more by going 1.74 over 1.67 with rolled edges and at the cost of 1.74 I didn't think twice. I was wondering if she was right though in recommending that I get smaller, rectangular, plastic frames in order to hide the lenses. I originally wanted to get one pair with large, round lenses and she said that even if my eyes were in the center, my lenses would be noticeably thick and look bad even with 1.74. She also recommended against wire frames so it seemed like my options were very limited. Would you agree with this sentiment? I guess I could still return my glasses if need be but that would be uncool so I probably won't. I can post pictures showing the thickness if that helps. Thanks.

Also, anyone have opinions on Dailies Total1? Worth the premium? I have dry eyes that usually get red after a day of wearing contacts.

Dailies total 1 is pretty awesome, really comfortable... worth the price? depend on how you can tolerate other lenses I suppose...
post #2687 of 2706

Do you know the Brand/model of these glasses?? I've looked everywhere and can't find them.

 

 

post #2688 of 2706
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughter95 View Post

CityConnection,

How did I do on my purchase in terms of price to quality/value?

Location: MyEyeDr (local B&M)
Vision: R - 2.75/-0.50/175, L -2.25/-0.50/180

1. Oliver Peoples Follies 1281 - $225 http://goo.gl/0Ju0nD
2. Polycarbonate single vision - $40 (I recognize that you don't like poly, but these were what the optometrist recommended to me...)
3. Crizal Alize (the best coating they can provide, sapphire was unavailable) - $68

TOTAL OTD: $333

Thanks!

That's super cheap by any standard that I've seen. Haven't seen prices like that, period.
post #2689 of 2706
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyindarkness View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironist View Post

So I just got my glasses from *gasp* Lenscrafters. I bought them there because of my insurance policy but I probably didn't end up saving much overall. Each pair was like $400 each with the high index lenses, coating, roll and polish. I did stick to the Persol and Rayban as per city's recommendations.

My prescription was OD -650 -025 130 and OS -750 -025 055 SV Distance. I took the sales associate's suggestion for 1.67 index, AR, and roll and polish. She said I wouldn't gain that much more by going 1.74 over 1.67 with rolled edges and at the cost of 1.74 I didn't think twice. I was wondering if she was right though in recommending that I get smaller, rectangular, plastic frames in order to hide the lenses. I originally wanted to get one pair with large, round lenses and she said that even if my eyes were in the center, my lenses would be noticeably thick and look bad even with 1.74. She also recommended against wire frames so it seemed like my options were very limited. Would you agree with this sentiment? I guess I could still return my glasses if need be but that would be uncool so I probably won't. I can post pictures showing the thickness if that helps. Thanks.

Also, anyone have opinions on Dailies Total1? Worth the premium? I have dry eyes that usually get red after a day of wearing contacts.

Dailies total 1 is pretty awesome, really comfortable... worth the price? depend on how you can tolerate other lenses I suppose...

Best shape and size for minimal edge thickness is small and round, not square. The radius from the middle of your eye will determine thickness.

Total1 are definitely worth the premium. Feedback is good from wearers. And they allow a lot of oxygen to the eyes.
post #2690 of 2706
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxgenius View Post

Any updates to this FAQ?

5. What are some frames that have a good bang for the buck?

-As of Jan 2012, I feel that Kio Yamato, O&X, Urband, Cheap Monday, MODO, Spectacle Eyeworks, Prodesign and Lightec are all brands that provide good bang for the buck.

New list based on frame quality vs price vs style vs overall business practice vs customer service:

Kio Yamato: design features and price are super good bang for the buck
Modo: new plastic/metal combo frames are good and light
Prodesign: for under $220, hard to beat
Brooklyn Spectacles (pretty good for Made in China and price is reasonable
Lindberg Plastics:rimless mounting system isn't that great
Minima: excellent bang for the buck and really good quality and they stand behind their products 100%
Kazuo Kawasaki: very durable and well made
Tag Huere: quality is good for the price, made in France and comfortable for big heads

Honorable mentions:
RetroSuperFuture's quality and attention to fit is significantly better than previous releases.
Paul Smith, yes it is from Lux, but the styles are good and they use a very nice color palette.
Viktor & Rolf: I met the man behind the operation and the amount of work they put into the design is incredible, small details like the rivets that pay homage to their fragrance bottles and their overall image. there are also plastics with nose pads.
Tom's shoes makes Tom's glasses, good bang for the buck and their designers and staff are super down to earth.
Dior Homme: yes it is from Safilo but the styles are good with textures and lots of mattes. Actually quite innovative considering it is a "mass brand"

So you ask why companies like Dita, Oliver Peoples, Belliger, Face a Face, Barton, Mykita, IC Berlin, Kirk Originals, Rayban, Persol... are not on the list. In my opinion, a lot of these brands and frames can be replace with other brands. If it can be replace with something with equal style but lesser price tag, I say go with the cheaper on. After all, this is a bang for the buck list.
post #2691 of 2706
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rannibal View Post

Do you know the Brand/model of these glasses?? I've looked everywhere and can't find them.

 

 


Not sure but I'd look into vintages. Early 90s and late 80s. Might find a very unique pair.
post #2692 of 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityConnection View Post


Not sure but I'd look into vintages. Early 90s and late 80s. Might find a very unique pair.

What type of glasses are these though? What style? Frame style? 

post #2693 of 2706

Hi, CityConnection,

I'm going to order an eyeglasses from framesdirect. The frame is Persol 2425V ($235) with 1.67 index lens ($119) from Essilor and Transitions coating ($70) and Premium AR coating ($75). After 30% discount for lens, total price is around $424.

Do you think the price is reasonable?

And I'm curious about the effectiveness of Transitions coating. What's your opinion on that?


Edited by hoxuantu - 9/12/14 at 10:24pm
post #2694 of 2706
Anyone know anything about BP?

I got in an argument / debate with tho guy over some other person in my class or the class above me having the same glasses but matte black with lighter tortuous shell side.


Now I very specific with my eyeware and I've never scene anyone with anything remotely close.


Anyone know if those matte black wilmots saw any distro outside Boston?


When I talked to the guys at newton wellsely optical they made it seem of that particular model got anywhere outside of Boston?


Literally 4 people in 2015-16 from Boston. So highly unlikely.
post #2695 of 2706
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rannibal View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityConnection View Post


Not sure but I'd look into vintages. Early 90s and late 80s. Might find a very unique pair.

What type of glasses are these though? What style? Frame style? 


I don't know about particular styles but everyone made them from Jean Paul gaulthier to Alain mikli to Cartier.
post #2696 of 2706
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoxuantu View Post

Hi, CityConnection,

I'm going to order an eyeglasses from framesdirect. The frame is Persol 2425V ($235) with 1.67 index lens ($119) from Essilor and Transitions coating ($70) and Premium AR coating ($75). After 30% discount for lens, total price is around $424.

Do you think the price is reasonable?

And I'm curious about the effectiveness of Transitions coating. What's your opinion on that?


Price is not the issue. Are you sure those frames will fit the same as your last ones? Will the pd and height be correct? Will the fitting and able of the frame be the same? How is the wrap and curvature of the lenses? Not everything is created equally.

Transitions are goo for 2 yrs. after that they don't turn as dark and as clear. As well, they won't change colors in the car due to your windshield.
post #2697 of 2706
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniscientCause View Post

Anyone know anything about BP?

I got in an argument / debate with tho guy over some other person in my class or the class above me having the same glasses but matte black with lighter tortuous shell side.


Now I very specific with my eyeware and I've never scene anyone with anything remotely close.


Anyone know if those matte black wilmots saw any distro outside Boston?


When I talked to the guys at newton wellsely optical they made it seem of that particular model got anywhere outside of Boston?


Literally 4 people in 2015-16 from Boston. So highly unlikely.

I don't really understand what you're asking.
post #2698 of 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityConnection View Post

I don't really understand what you're asking.

Did the black and tortoise shell Wilmot make it into other stores or was it specifically released for this place on Newbury st in Boston.
post #2699 of 2706
why do you care so much?

be more pedantic
post #2700 of 2706

What is the link of CityConnection's blog ?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Ask me about Eyewear!