or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Ask me about Eyewear!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask me about Eyewear! - Page 172

post #2566 of 2705

Hey Guys! I hope someone can help and direct me here. I am looking for a glasses store with someone who has the expertise and ability to look at your face and find you the perfect pair of glasses that accentuate your face. Everything from color to thickness shape and size. I also would like the store to have a unique selection not just the standard prada DG and gucci that everyone carries.I live in central New Jersey but would travel anywhere in the tri state area. Any recommendations?

post #2567 of 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityConnection View Post


]]

Kio Yamato or O&X? What kind of frame?


O&X, OP-154, I think it's been discontinued or something not sure, but I liked its look the most even though the nosebridge slips just so slightly.

post #2568 of 2705
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordion View Post


O&X, OP-154, I think it's been discontinued or something not sure, but I liked its look the most even though the nosebridge slips just so slightly.

OP154 is relatively new. Probably within a year or so.
post #2569 of 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityConnection View Post


OP154 is relatively new. Probably within a year or so.


Is there any way to adjust the nosebridge or put something on it to decrease the slippage? It's a fixed nosebridge.

post #2570 of 2705
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingusberry View Post

My temples bend outwards when I put on my glasses, and the temple screw or end joint squeal a little bit. However, they are completely new and I am not sure if this is a bad thing or not. Is the frame size too small? I usually wear 49mm, but these are 47mm.


I wouldn't know without seeing them on you. But sounds like they are a touch small but that can be adjusted as well.
post #2571 of 2705
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordion View Post


Is there any way to adjust the nosebridge or put something on it to decrease the slippage? It's a fixed nosebridge.

You can get silicone stickers put on. They are a temporary relief. You can also get pad arms mounted and that would be a permanent solution. But if it is simply slipping, you might be able to get away with just an adjustment.
post #2572 of 2705

City Connection, can you recommend any decent shops in the GTA either central or east carrying SALT and Nikon lenses?

post #2573 of 2705
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilWagon View Post

City Connection, can you recommend any decent shops in the GTA either central or east carrying SALT and Nikon lenses?

I'm from the GTA but I'm not entirely sure. I don't follow Salt too closely anymore. Their prices have increased over the past few years and I find that there are other brands that provide similar or better quality at a similar or lesser price.
post #2574 of 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityConnection View Post

I'm from the GTA but I'm not entirely sure. I don't follow Salt too closely anymore. Their prices have increased over the past few years and I find that there are other brands that provide similar or better quality at a similar or lesser price.

From your reply above and others of yours it seems like the value/style/quality balance is a constant moving target. At the risk of having you repeat yourself can you give current suggestions of the brands you're referring to above and if there's any locations that carry them and nikon lenses suggest a store or two? Now that I've read this thread and started to pay more attention to the eye strain I experience and reflect that my prescription is 5 years old I'm more urgent to resolve it.
post #2575 of 2705
Try Salt's store locator: http://www.saltoptics.com/retailers.php
post #2576 of 2705
Is a zylonite plastic any worse quality than acetate?
post #2577 of 2705
What brands (hopefully available online) should I be looking at if I need wider glasses? I typically wear 56 and up. I'm currently using a pair of acetate Hugo Boss glasses but they pretty quickly discolor due to sweat. What material should I be looking at to avoid this? I typically wear rectangular tortoise frames.
post #2578 of 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterglow View Post

What brands (hopefully available online) should I be looking at if I need wider glasses? I typically wear 56 and up. I'm currently using a pair of acetate Hugo Boss glasses but they pretty quickly discolor due to sweat. What material should I be looking at to avoid this? I typically wear rectangular tortoise frames.

Most acetate frames will do that. You could investigate manufacturers who use higher quality acetate to avoid this discolouration, or use your current glasses as a "spare pair" you use for when you exercise, etc.

These are 56mm eye size, and beautiful, IMO - http://www.cutlerandgross.com/collection/Opticals/1135-Dark-Turtle-06/
post #2579 of 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityConnection View Post


Quote:


Originally Posted by laughter95 View Post

Hello,


I have a pair of prescription sunglasses from what is probably the 80s. It was my dad's. They're tortoise color, and say "Esselarc 86" on the left side of the temple, and "Frame France" on the right side.


Do you know anything about these frames?





I haven't heard of that frame. Does it say Essilor? I can't recall if they made frames, but if it from that era and made in France, chances are it was well made with thick hinges. That seems to be the norm from what was made in France. Sorry I can't be of much more help.

CityConnection,

I finally realized what these are... They say, "ESSEL ARC 86". Essel was the firm that merged with Silor in the 70's = Essilor. So the only thing that came up in a Google search was http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-50s-eyeglasses-frames-brown-gold-filled-ESSEL-ARC-86-made-in-France-/130907869167

Wondering if you knew anything more about these smile.gif

Also surprised that you're still very active on this thread through the years, as the quote above was from 2010. Thanks!
post #2580 of 2705
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilWagon View Post

From your reply above and others of yours it seems like the value/style/quality balance is a constant moving target. At the risk of having you repeat yourself can you give current suggestions of the brands you're referring to above and if there's any locations that carry them and nikon lenses suggest a store or two? Now that I've read this thread and started to pay more attention to the eye strain I experience and reflect that my prescription is 5 years old I'm more urgent to resolve it.

I think all brands go through their ups and downs. Some stay in the downs for longer than others while some just get better. Like anything else, all companies change their direction, style and so on.

When I have some more time, I'll make a list of brands that I like as of now...

As for your rx, if it has been 5 years, I would suggest getting a new eye exam. Nothing to lose and chances are that your rx has changed. Remember, when they do the eye exam, it isn't only for the rx but also the overall health of your eyes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Ask me about Eyewear!