or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Ask me about Eyewear!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask me about Eyewear! - Page 164

post #2446 of 2675

Hello everyone! I've been lurking around SF for a while, including this thread as well and with a hard decision to make soon on my 3rd pair glasses, I've come to you guys for any suggestions on the next pair of glasses.

 

To get on topic, I have quite a lot of questions, but I'm hoping CityConnection or anyone here at SF can answer them!

 

Just for some background, I'm currently a junior in college, age 21, who's trying to decide whether the next pair of eyeglasses should be conservative or somewhat trendy/hip. I have an oval face, black hair, a big nose, light brown/chocolate skin color, and dark brown eyes. I'm currently wearing a Joe by Joseph Abboud glasses in a coffee frame color in metal but looking for something different. I will still get full rimmed glasses, just saying. Along with that, I'll be using the next pair of glasses primarily for reading/computer/driving/everyday wear.

 

This is my JOE glasses:

JOE Joseph Abboud JOE519 Eyeglasses

 

1) Concerning materials, I know that plastics, metals (either stainless steel or titanium) are mostly on the market, but with my current glasses already metal, I'm wondering whether I should opt for plastic material or if I should stick to metal frames? [For glasses, I know that plastics aren't as durable and strong as metal, but with a budget on, I want to have high quality (or just quality) glasses, as I don't desire to own lots of pairs of glasses.]

 

2) Since my JOE glasses's measurements are 52-17-140, I'm also wondering whether I should go for glasses that have a bit more depth to them (like a square-ish shape) or stick with rectangular frames. [Initially my glasses didn't slip down as much on my nose in the beginning, but currently, they're slipping slightly more often with the oil on my nose.]

 

3) Regarding brands, I'm unsure as to which ones I should look out for when choosing my next pair. The optometry store I went for my JOE glasses primarily had Tom Fords, Prada, Converse, Ray-Bans, etc. But for my next pair, I want these to last as long as they can, which is why I want to ask on which particular brands, whether it be Salt, Dita or others, have good/high quality frames or lenses.

 

4) Not too much concern, but on frame color and lenses, my Joe glasses had a coffee frame color with brown tint for transition. I would like to ask for any advice on what are nice frame colors? With my brown skin and eyes, plenty of my colleagues suggested dark colors, including blue, possibly tortoise, and especially black. As for lenses, are there any other options/suggestions if I should have clear lenses or transitions again? [People noticed that my JOE glasses's transition is noticeably dark brown when I'm outside, which isn't bad.]

 

5) Lastly, with my JOE glasses's frame being somewhat thin, should I go for a more thicker frame for more protection? Or will that sacrifice field vision?

 

Sorry for all of these questions, but I'm not too knowledgeable on eyewear, so I'm hoping anyone around can give helpful responses!

 

Oh, and I know a face is really helpful for suggesting good glasses, so if anyone needs a pic, I'll PM them a photo of my face with my JOE glasses.

 

Of all of the glasses I've looked at so far, the Salt Oslos and the Kala Emerson look good.

Salt-Optics-Oslo_2411.jpg

62b357c4_vbattach39900.jpg 


Edited by CosmoV - 12/30/13 at 7:24am
post #2447 of 2675
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityConnection View Post

Where in the GTA are you located? There are a lot.

Preferably in the Richmond Hill or surrounding area. It can also be downtown around the Union Station area.

Thanks.
post #2448 of 2675
@CosmoV

I wouldn't say metal are always more durable than acetate, since a lot of acetate frames have a metal core anyways. So just get a frame that you like from a quality maker, and don't throw them around.
post #2449 of 2675

@flyindarkness 

 

Oh, well if most acetate frames are basically supported by metal cores, then I guess it makes it all the more easier for me to choose! But I must say, despite taking good care of my current glasses, I'm still unsure as to whether I should opt for different frames. the Joe glasses that I have make me look sophisticated, though I've had them since high school. I'm trying to determine which frame sets the hybrid between looking sophisticated and looking young/stylish. I know for sure that most plastic frames show the stylish look, but I'm hesitant to ultimately choosing that as my next frame.

post #2450 of 2675
ebay is the cheapest place to get some Barton P frames?...tried on the wilmot today. Liked the looks of them a spec bigger than I would like and also a little bit on the expensive side. These however will be my first every day pair of eye glasses as my eyes have changed a lot in the last 6 months or so. My stigmatism seems like its an all day thing rather than just at night and rainy days.
post #2451 of 2675

The temple on my glasses broke off. Snapped right at the hinge. 100% sure if I could source a replacement temple, it's as simple as unscrewing the part of the temple still attached. Impossible to find online so far. If I take into Cohen's Optical it's likely $100 for the temple. Online the glasses can be had for $110-130 from grey market dealers. Less on eBay for preowned. But what about smaller glass repair locations? For example http://specmedic.com/framerepair.php   

 

The glasses are used sparingly and still in excellent shape. Think Cohen's tightened the hinge excessively last time I had new prescriptions put in. I noticed this but didn't think much of it at the time.

post #2452 of 2675

I need help locating a certain pair of glasses

 

 

They seem to have the keyhole bridge, and it may be Ray-Ban, but the closest I could find was the Ray Ban RX5309, but I'm not quite sure if it is the same.

http://www.lenscrafters.com/lc-us/ray-ban/8053672122589

 

Can anyone help me locate these pair or something that is very similar with the round/square frame and keyhole bridge.

post #2453 of 2675

What makes optic glasses so expensive (for some)?

Is it the brand, glass material, frame or the brand, or everything combined?

post #2454 of 2675
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David23 View Post

The temple on my glasses broke off. Snapped right at the hinge. 100% sure if I could source a replacement temple, it's as simple as unscrewing the part of the temple still attached. Impossible to find online so far. If I take into Cohen's Optical it's likely $100 for the temple. Online the glasses can be had for $110-130 from grey market dealers. Less on eBay for preowned. But what about smaller glass repair locations? For example http://specmedic.com/framerepair.php   

The glasses are used sparingly and still in excellent shape. Think Cohen's tightened the hinge excessively last time I had new prescriptions put in. I noticed this but didn't think much of it at the time.

Which side is broken? What kind of frame? Over tightening generally doesn't make any problems depending on the design of frame.
post #2455 of 2675
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingusberry View Post

What makes optic glasses so expensive (for some)?
Is it the brand, glass material, frame or the brand, or everything combined?

Depends what frames but generally...

The cost of manufacturing, then a wholesaler has to buy thousands of frames and hold them until a local distributor buys it, distributor buys it and sell it to the stores, stores buy frames and hold it until it sells. Wholesalers need to over produce to factor in quality control and warranty. So do distributors and stores. It is not like a t-shirt that once it is sold, it is sold. With glasses there are warranties so they have to factor that in. Then there is a flip side of licensing, royalty and so on with the brands. As well you have to factor in the displays and catalogs that they provide their retailers. Then the practitioners have to go to school to get licensed, and continue to get continuing education and board fees. This is all aside from the cost of materials and machines needed to make the frames.

I know this is scattered, but you get the idea.
post #2456 of 2675
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityConnection View Post


Which side is broken? What kind of frame? Over tightening generally doesn't make any problems depending on the design of frame.

 

The right temple. Rectangular frame made out of metal. What type of metal I couldn't find anywhere. Sure it's not Titanium. I ordered a replacement for cheap from an authorized dealer. Just need to find a place that will swap the lenses without fuss that the frame wasn't bought from them. 

post #2457 of 2675
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David23 View Post

The right temple. Rectangular frame made out of metal. What type of metal I couldn't find anywhere. Sure it's not Titanium. I ordered a replacement for cheap from an authorized dealer. Just need to find a place that will swap the lenses without fuss that the frame wasn't bought from them. 

If you ordered parts from a b&m, they will have no problems putting the lenses into the new frame or putting the new parts on. It will take a minute of their time. Don't try to attempt it yourself, I can almost guarantee that you'll scratch the frame or lens.
post #2458 of 2675
Any suggestion on similar glasses such as these but with only subtle branding on the side? My head suite these frames but those have been discontinued and I would like some fresher frame choices.
Less than £200 for the frame would be ideal.


post #2459 of 2675
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylingUK View Post

Any suggestion on similar glasses such as these but with only subtle branding on the side? My head suite these frames but those have been discontinued and I would like some fresher frame choices.
Less than £200 for the frame would be ideal.



Those 2 frames are not the same. The bottom one looks a lot like an old Giorgio Armani frame. Boss,Banana Republic and Elasta has very similar frames. Notice, they are all made by Safilo. Prada Sport would have soemthing similar as well, but it will look a little bit more sporty.

If you want something similar to the one on the top, there are a lot of brands that make something similar but I can't think of anything off hand.
post #2460 of 2675
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniscientCause View Post

ebay is the cheapest place to get some Barton P frames?...tried on the wilmot today. Liked the looks of them a spec bigger than I would like and also a little bit on the expensive side. These however will be my first every day pair of eye glasses as my eyes have changed a lot in the last 6 months or so. My stigmatism seems like its an all day thing rather than just at night and rainy days.

If your prescription has changed drastically over 6 months, that is rather unusual. Sometimes it can be from high stress, sudden onset of diabetes, and sudden onset of high blood pressure...etc. Basically any big change in lifestyle or health can affect your vision.

Keep in mind that getting a well fitting frame that is good quality will last you a long time and you can change your lenses down the road as well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Ask me about Eyewear!