or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Ask me about Eyewear!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask me about Eyewear! - Page 145

post #2161 of 2724
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank88 View Post

What is your view on Monoqool?  The hinge design reminds me of the Lindberg Air Titanium I used to have.  I am attracted by the German (industrial) and Danish (clean, simple) designs and have owned Mykita and IC Berlin.  Currently I'm looking at either Monoqool NXT or Markus T Me collection.  I like my next frame to have a bit of volume but lightness is also paramount to me.  Would appreciate your opinion.

 

Monoqool and Markus T are a very specific style. Personally, I don't think they are clean or simple at all. They are quite funky and they stand out. It is not my personal style. For the price of the frames, I think they are expensive. Afterall they are made of a polycarbonate mold (I think). But Monoqool or Markus T ( I can't remember which) have an interesting spiral mounting for the hinge onto the front. Personally, I think the Lindbergs are more classy.
post #2162 of 2724
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick James View Post

Can someone recommend me a pair of glasses that are not only sturdy enough to function on a factory floor, but simple and classic enough that they can also work while I am back in the office?

Do you require CZA or CSA approved safety glasses for the factory floor?
post #2163 of 2724
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

How active is this thread still? Need help ID my face shape
I think it is oblong
6977388374_4cbb516193.jpg

I would say to pick a frame that has a little bit more depth to it. It will shorten the height of your face. In terms of color, stay away from yellowish browns, it will make you look washed out. Get something that is relatively narrow as well, if it is too wide, it will make your face look longer. Other than that, you shouldn't have nay problems.
post #2164 of 2724
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafont View Post

I'm kind of a fastidious perfectionist - sometimes obsessive - and I like my
glasses to look straight. It also might bother me if, when I put them down,
either rightside up or upside down, if the earpieces/temples do not touch the
surface. I've been told by opticians no human face is symmetrical so there's no
reason to expect a frame to be perfectly level to be ideal for the individual.
Other opticians seem to go along with the idea the earpieces, when the frame is
on a table or counter, should each touch the surface.
With my current Lunor frames I've had them perfect level, both rightside up and
upside down, when lying on a surface. At the moment, however, they seem to look
fairly straight on my face but, from my perspective, the right temple is higher
than the left - it doesn't touch the surface when I put the frame on a surface
rightside up. However, if the frame is upside down, the temples do indeed touch
my desktop. I went for months not having the frame adjusted but recently I
noticed one side did come out higher than the other, so I had an optician adjust
them, only to find after I walked out the right side is still higher. I had the
frame adjusted three times since by different opticians and, when they finished,
the right side was still higher (though the last time, only, the temples both
touch the surface when the frame is upside down. I also noticed the optician
tested the level with the frame rightsie up but not upside down.
So is that what opticians are instructed to do - check that the frame is level
rightside up (only)? Or only check the frame on the person's face - checking the
proximity with the ears, etc? As usual, my ears typically hurt or itch at least
when I wear the frame a while though, as I've written here, I think some of this
has to do with my ears becoming more sensitive in recent years.1159[1].gif

Bench Alignment is a good starting point when adjusting a frame. It gives you a starting point. In terms of the bottom of the temples touching the table, that is subjective. I could probably fit the frame on someone and adjust it in several ways to make it sit straight on the face and not on the table, or straight on the table and not on the face, or I might even be able to make it straight on the face and straight on the table. BUT, keep in mind that making adjustments in different ways could affect your vision as well. Adding a tilt to the frames should cause prism. Bending out the temples too much could cause the glasses to look straight, but actually be angled, causing prism. If you are wearing progressives, this is even more important because a slight adjustment may make you look out of the distortion areas.

Keep in mind as well, that every time you take your glasses off with 1 hand, it will twist and skew. When lenses are made, they are made to the 1/100th of a mm. When they are adjusted, they are adjusted my mms. When they are measured, they are measured in mm. You may think that a slight adjustment is easy to do but there are a lot of other factors behind those slight adjustments.

For the average person, this post will have no relevance because most people could care less if their frames were a little lopsided.
post #2165 of 2724
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meso View Post

Not true, there were quite a few fake NDG-1s up on ebay until recently. Really obviously fake. "Sorry no case," shipping from China, visibly different shape than authentic ones.

That is pretty sad. Why wouldn't they just put a different name and sell it for less. BUT I guess people buy fakes, so they make them for those people. Like anything else that you buy, buy from those who you trust.
post #2166 of 2724

No, not necessary.

post #2167 of 2724

Thanks for your opinion, City Connection!  I can see why you think these 2 brands are expressive (and expensive!).  With closer look, Markus T can sometimes come across as being over-styled!  Will certainly revisit my old favorite brand of Lindberg.
 

post #2168 of 2724
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityConnection View Post

I would say to pick a frame that has a little bit more depth to it. It will shorten the height of your face. In terms of color, stay away from yellowish browns, it will make you look washed out. Get something that is relatively narrow as well, if it is too wide, it will make your face look longer. Other than that, you shouldn't have nay problems.

Thanks for your input! I will be heading back to my optometrist this weekend. I had the right idea before.

It is funny because the associates working there kept recommending me wide and rectangular shaped glasses and I was a bit put off by it, 1) Because I already own two similar pairs from years ago that still assist in my vision and 2) I wanted to try something new

The younger associates kind of had an idea but the older one kept pushing for wide rectangular frames with zero depth.

What do you think of clear frames for my face and complexion?
clear-glasses-gar.jpg

I tried a pair on and liked the fit and shape. FWIW I only wear glasses as needed though it may compliment me more now that I know what to exactly look for. Just got to be weary in choosing too much depth and curve shaped frames or I might end up looking like a hipster. foo.gif
post #2169 of 2724
I had a chance to try on a pair of Ic! Berlin Nameless 5 recently and really like the fit. I however was not in love with the metal arms. I would much prefer something more classic, but similar shape and dimensions.

Can someone recommend plastic frames with similar shape and dimension as Ic! Berlin Nameless 5?

49 - 19 - 133
B measurement - 31

Thanks in advance.
post #2170 of 2724

Get t,  If that's you in the photo, it appears that the temples are too short.  The color/shape look fine. I'll differ to the expert opinion.

post #2171 of 2724
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank88 View Post

Thanks for your opinion, City Connection!  I can see why you think these 2 brands are expressive (and expensive!).  With closer look, Markus T can sometimes come across as being over-styled!  Will certainly revisit my old favorite brand of Lindberg.

 

If you are looking for a cleaner and more sophisticated look, you should put heavy consideration into a pair of Lindbergs.
post #2172 of 2724
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

Thanks for your input! I will be heading back to my optometrist this weekend. I had the right idea before.
It is funny because the associates working there kept recommending me wide and rectangular shaped glasses and I was a bit put off by it, 1) Because I already own two similar pairs from years ago that still assist in my vision and 2) I wanted to try something new
The younger associates kind of had an idea but the older one kept pushing for wide rectangular frames with zero depth.
What do you think of clear frames for my face and complexion?
clear-glasses-gar.jpg
I tried a pair on and liked the fit and shape. FWIW I only wear glasses as needed though it may compliment me more now that I know what to exactly look for. Just got to be weary in choosing too much depth and curve shaped frames or I might end up looking like a hipster. foo.gif

IMO, "hipsters" wear low quality fashionable disposable frames. Step up your game and get something that is well made and you're golden.

Is this you in the picture? If so, or if youe complexion is similar, I don't see a problem with them. Crystal is a real hit or miss, depending on your skin tone.
post #2173 of 2724
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailwind View Post

I had a chance to try on a pair of Ic! Berlin Nameless 5 recently and really like the fit. I however was not in love with the metal arms. I would much prefer something more classic, but similar shape and dimensions.
Can someone recommend plastic frames with similar shape and dimension as Ic! Berlin Nameless 5?
49 - 19 - 133
B measurement - 31
Thanks in advance.

In all honesty, if you are not concerned about the hinge or don't care for metal temples, you have an abundance of choices. Tons of frames come in that style with a keyhole bridge. There are many options in many brands in many price points. Sorry I can't tell you model numbers but there are tons.
post #2174 of 2724
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgein View Post

Get t,  If that's you in the photo, it appears that the temples are too short.  The color/shape look fine. I'll differ to the expert opinion.

You are correct, the temples are a bit short. I didn't notice it. Slightly longer temples would be a better fit though.
post #2175 of 2724
Hi, I found an old pair of pro design titanium frames that I'm thinking of re-lensing. They're in pretty good shape aside from a small paint chip on the edge. Do you think it would be alright to reuse a frame, because a lot of opticians suggest getting new frames.

Also is it better to go to a high end store to get lenses, or would a BJs or Walmart optician produce a similar quality? My eyesight is pretty bad and I would def opt for the 1.74 high index. Please advise, thanks.

Edit: more questions for the expert. I have prescription sunglasses with polarized lenses, which I get a lot of compliments on, but the sides are super duper thick which makes me self conscious. Granted, theyre blacked out a little with some sort of paint, but it's pretty obvious they're thick. I was told that that.s the best that can be done, other than getting a narrower lens, but why can't they make sunglasses lenses with high index?

Ad what can of nose piece do you recommend people buy with oily complexions? My glasses start to slide down my face towards the middle of the day, so I find my self washing the nose pads frequently. Is there a stickier nose pad out there that I don't know about?

Lastly, what kind of frame would you recommend for someone with visible bags? I love the trendy nerd glasses, but it would just expose my bags totally. Should I get a chunky frame, or a more attention grabbing pattern to distract from my luggage?

Sorry for all the questions,
Edited by JunyaYamamoto - 8/2/12 at 12:24pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Ask me about Eyewear!