or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Ask me about Eyewear!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask me about Eyewear! - Page 110

post #1636 of 2672
Duplicate. Removed by author.
post #1637 of 2672
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafont View Post

Continuing this discussion on the "clicking frames." I have what should be a wonderful, luxury Lunor acetate frame. The first one I had kept clicking when I'd clean it, which always made me a little uneasy. I showed it to several experienced opticians associated with my shop and they both assured me that's okay - no problem. Then, when I had the frame just under a year, a crack appeared abaout 3/4 through the eyepiece in the usual place. I took it to the optician's and they arranged to have the frame replaced with a duplicate (very expensive), free of charge . They went with the idea it's a "flaw in the workmanship."

My new frame also clicked from the first day I got it. That optician said that's fine - it's just new and the sound will go away. I said it didn't the first time.... Anyway, it still clicks and I'm a bit leary. I went back to them with the idea I'd make the point, right now before the frame cracks, that it still clicks and I'm a little uneasy about the frame. That guy fiddled with it, saying he didn't hear much and, were it to crack again, once the company replaces one frame they'd never replace it again free of charge. In other words, I was afraid if it cracked I'd take it back and they'd blame me this time, but he says it doesn't matter whose fault it is; they'd never replace it. My idea was not they'd do anything drastic, like already replace the frame again - just that they might try to fasten the lenses better.

Have any of you experienced this sort of thing? Do you see an association between clicking and the cracking? The guy last night, also experienced, said he didn't.

Does it happen when you touch the hinges when you flex it or does it happen only when you are cleaning them?
post #1638 of 2672
What is your opinion on the overall quality (with a specific regard to durability, because i want my $300 glasses to last) on Gucci glasses? I recently purchased these in gold :

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod111540004

They look great in my opinion, but I'm just hoping they aren't cheap pieces of shit with "gucci" written on them.
post #1639 of 2672
I notice it when I clean them, and sometimes when I just pick them up. Naturally, last evening, there wasn't much clicking when I wanted to demonstrate with the optician - a little bit. Tried to get away from their air conditioner sound, but.... I wonder if I'm not just more sensative to the clicking in a plastic frame. I hadn't had an all-plastic frame for some time. Do you notice clicking with your plastic frames???
Edited by Lafont - 7/21/11 at 8:03am
post #1640 of 2672
I'm looking into getting a new pair of glasses in the higher end of the spectrum. What brands should I be looking out for? I'm thinking of Oliver Peoples and Salt (not even sure if they are considered high end).
post #1641 of 2672
city connection, what's your take on carerra sunglasses today? not vintage ones. what is their classic style? plastic aviator?
post #1642 of 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by hxh_killua View Post

I'm looking into getting a new pair of glasses in the higher end of the spectrum. What brands should I be looking out for? I'm thinking of Oliver Peoples and Salt (not even sure if they are considered high end).

My experience is only with sunglasses, but Salt seems to have much better build quality than Oliver Peoples IMO>
post #1643 of 2672
I have been shopping for sunglasses for a while now to replace the aviators that I have. I am a big fan of the clubmasters but they are just too small on my face. Does anyone have any recommendations on an alternative that would run a bit bigger than what ray-ban offers? I am fine with cheap sunglasses as long as they don't look like I got them at a pharmacy or at a kiosk outside a highway rest stop.
post #1644 of 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArliHawk` View Post


My experience is only with sunglasses, but Salt seems to have much better build quality than Oliver Peoples IMO>

Did a little research and read that Salt was formed by people who left Oliver Peoples.
http://www.themalcolm.com/salt-optics-the-independent-optics-company/
Quote:
You hit the nail on the head! These guys use to work for Oliver Peoples. One of the guys actually came into a shop that I use to work at and claimed he was one of the designers for Oliver Peoples. I later find out that he was in sales for Oliver Peoples and the designer from Salt use to work in production for Oliver Peoples. So yes it’s a total rip off of Oliver Peoples.

Don't know how true that is.
post #1645 of 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by hxh_killua View Post


Did a little research and read that Salt was formed by people who left Oliver Peoples.
http://www.themalcolm.com/salt-optics-the-independent-optics-company/
Quote:
You hit the nail on the head! These guys use to work for Oliver Peoples. One of the guys actually came into a shop that I use to work at and claimed he was one of the designers for Oliver Peoples. I later find out that he was in sales for Oliver Peoples and the designer from Salt use to work in production for Oliver Peoples. So yes it’s a total rip off of Oliver Peoples.

Don't know how true that is.

What is important is that SALT is still independent, while Oliver Peoples is part of the Luxottica behemoth. I'd take my chances with the independent group. I do know Barton Perreira (sic?) was formed by Oliver Peoples expats.
post #1646 of 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArliHawk` View Post


What is important is that SALT is still independent, while Oliver Peoples is part of the Luxottica behemoth. I'd take my chances with the independent group. I do know Barton Perreira (sic?) was formed by Oliver Peoples expats.

Pardon my ignorance but what is wrong with the Luxottica conglomerate?

Also thanks for the allusion to Barton Perreira; I've never heard of them until now and the frames look great.
post #1647 of 2672
Coming for some last minute advice (I have already asked for some suggestions before):

Keen on these Gant Rugger Hamblin glasses, in terms of the shape of the acetate part, not too keen on the wire temples though:

500

However CC has scared me off the quality of Viva produced goods, also it only comes in one size (small). I have a big head, and will need something that comes in more of a 53-55 sort of size.

So I want something similar, but with acetate temples (thin, not too thick) in dark tortoise.

Best I have found so far:

Persol PO2935v

500

500

But I still don't feel like they're exactly what I'm after...

Please help with any other suggestions that are similar!
Edited by lachyzee - 7/25/11 at 5:14pm
post #1648 of 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyzee View Post


Best I have found so far:

Persol PO2935v

500

500

But I still don't feel like they're exactly what I'm after...

Please help with any other suggestions that are similar!

Do they make these in black?
post #1649 of 2672
post #1650 of 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by hxh_killua View Post


Pardon my ignorance but what is wrong with the Luxottica conglomerate?

Also thanks for the allusion to Barton Perreira; I've never heard of them until now and the frames look great.

I was going to ask the same question. I scored some (by typical identifying traits and comparison with the genuine) authentic Burberry glasses for $85. As they're made in Italy by Lux under licence like so many others, I have to ask, what is wrong, if anything, with them?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Ask me about Eyewear!