• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nerd glasses

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont know what else to call them, but Im looking for a pair of frames like this for some rx lenses:
3sixteen-spectacles-eyeglasses-2009-250x300.jpg
t86372845.jpg
5309.jpg
iwj71h.jpg
So far, these are the frames I like and am trying to decide between, but I am sure there are plenty of frames that I am unaware of. Recommendations/opinions would be appreciated. Rayban Wayfarers (although i dont like the fact that they are so obligatory, or that they say 'rayban' on the side)
wayfarer_black.jpg
Shuron Sidewinder (these should be cheap, and their customer service is supposed to be great)
SIDEWINDER-BL-SIDE-CAT.jpg
Moscot Vilda
med_vilda_blk_clr_side_4228.jpg
Moscot Nebb (i like the hardware on these more than the hardware on the Vildas)
med_nebb_blk_clr_side_4185.jpg
Moscot Lemtosh (i think these deviate too far from what im looking for)
med_lemtosh_blk_clear_side_3179.jpg
I really like these Oliver People x NDG frames (im a NDG whore), but judging from the second picture below, I think they may be too big for my face. Or maybe this guy is just a pinhead.
493cce1fae389
nom-de-guerre-oliver-people-eyeglasses-03_01.jpg
They seem to fit this dude ok
15.jpg
Are there any other brands/models I should be looking at?

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the ndg-1's the most.. just check your glasses size (e.g. 58[]14 140), if they're relatively close to a pair that fits you well then they'll probably fit you fine.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're not 'nerd' glasses, they're vintage inspired, thats one of the original glasses shapes from decades past. 90% of the posts on this thread refer to a vintage inspired pair of glasses.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As opposed to one of the "original glasses shapes" from the present or the future?

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mazda
As opposed to one of the "original glasses shapes" from the present or the future?

There are many original glasses in the present, original doesn't mean necessarily mean old, merely the first of its kind, your thinly veiled attempts at mocking me only work to prove how much of an idiot you are.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not "nerd glasses" its the geek chic look. We use those terms so that it gives off the idea of being more stylish. hahaha...

Also try on Salt Optics Oslo. I can vouch for the quality ( I wear them)
yhst-50888373590496_2027_421573948.jpg

Also keep in mind that not all of them will fit well. If you have a low nose bridge you will be very limited. Also if your cheeks stick out a bit, limiting. Also depending on where your ears are in relevance to your nose.

Lots to keep in mind.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
I would really try on some pairs before making the jump.

I researced all of these cool "nerd" glasses I thought would look great on me.. in the end the vast majority of them made me look like a tryhard (or I just didnt have the balls to wear a few). I actually went with a toned down pair of nerd glasses from Oliver Peoples that I love.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KaiserSose

I researced all of these cool "nerd" glasses I thought would look great on me.. in the end the vast majority of them made me look like a tryhard (or I just didnt have the balls to wear a few). I actually went with a toned down pair of nerd glasses from Oliver Peoples that I love.

Yes, a lot of people are unsure if they like the look. People try on a bunch and then decide that they can't pull themselves together to wear them every day. Some people just can't rock the look. My suggestion, go for the dive. I didnt think I would wear the style, but I got them anyways. At first I laughed everytime I looked in the mirror. Now people just know me to have big geek chic glasses....

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would really recommend looking at Paul Smith's glasses. They're made by Oliver Peoples. I have a pair of I'll post later.

If you have a big or wide nose watch out for the size of the bridge on the glasses. This style tends to have a thicker bridge and you can go from "cool nerd" to "Elliot Gould circa Oceans 11" really fast.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
Yes, a lot of people are unsure if they like the look. People try on a bunch and then decide that they can't pull themselves together to wear them every day. Some people just can't rock the look. My suggestion, go for the dive. I didnt think I would wear the style, but I got them anyways. At first I laughed everytime I looked in the mirror. Now people just know me to have big geek chic glasses....
Exactly and to go further, why do you even need to wear them all the time? I love glasses. I have poor eyesight and I absolutely need them. Why shouldn't I buy a few different pairs and just rock the nerd glasses when I think they suit the occassion. I think glasses can change your appearance more so than any clothing item. With them kind of being "in" right now, I'm surprised there aren't more threads like this sprouting up.

StarterStyle

Reaction score
What are the measurements of those NDG-1 frames? I've been looking for them without knowing it for a very long time.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly and to go further, why do you even need to wear them all the time? I love glasses. I have poor eyesight and I absolutely need them. Why shouldn't I buy a few different pairs and just rock the nerd glasses when I think they suit the occassion.

I think glasses can change your appearance more so than any clothing item. With them kind of being "in" right now, I'm surprised there aren't more threads like this sprouting up.

I agree. I have about 5 pairs that I rotate while I have another 5 lying around places. I have somewhere around 10 pairs of sunglasses too.

A different pair for a different occasion/time. It's like clothes you can never have too many pairs...

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Im doing a trial from Shuron. Im trying the Sidewinders in 3 different sizes, and their Sportivo which is a tortise shell aviator (im looking for sunglasses as well). They can send you up to 4 pair in different sizes for like $112 shipped, and depending on how you like them you can either send em all back for a refund or place an order with lenses.

Originally Posted by CityConnection
Also try on Salt Optics Oslo. I can vouch for the quality ( I wear them)
yhst-50888373590496_2027_421573948.jpg

Those look great. I may have to try to find a pair. I think I want exposed hardware, though.

Originally Posted by Aaron
I would really recommend looking at Paul Smith's glasses. They're made by Oliver Peoples. I have a pair of I'll post later.

If you have a big or wide nose watch out for the size of the bridge on the glasses. This style tends to have a thicker bridge and you can go from "cool nerd" to "Elliot Gould circa Oceans 11" really fast.

Will do.

I dont have a big or wide nose, so I guess Im in luck.

Originally Posted by StarterStyle
What are the measurements of those NDG-1 frames? I've been looking for them without knowing it for a very long time.

These were posted on SUFU for the NDG-1's. For those familiar with this type of thing, do these seem like big glasses, or average-sized?

* Rim to rim width across the front = 137mm
* Eye = 50mm
* D.B.L = 19mm
* Temple = 144mm

ndg1_2.jpg

Originally Posted by LabelKing
The heavier the better, in my opinion.

Ive read that Shurons are on the heavy side.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads