• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson 256 or 257

milosh

Reaction score
I just ordered a Lenovo 15" notebook and want to get something to carry it in. I'm trying to decide between a 256 and 257. I have a feeling the 257 would be too large/heavy for everyday use(college).

I'm also unsure which colour to get. I'm leaning towards tan. Any owners willing to share some pictures and help me?

stylemaven

Reaction score
I'd be interested in seeing some pictures as well - am a few days (weeks) away from pulling the trigger on a 256.

Thanks!

b-ill

Reaction score
257. I have the same laptop for work and the 257 is perfect.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What else do you need to carry with you? If that's mostly the laptop and a few papers, go with 256. If you need to carry a lot of books, documents, etc... go for 257. Otherwise 257 is just too much capacity for a simple laptop

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're going to use a padded laptop sleeve, consider the 257. I use a tan 257 to carry a 15-inch Macbook Pro, and with a Waterfield padded sleeve, it takes up quite a bit of space.

--Andre

milosh

Reaction score
I usually cary an a4 notebook and a few books.

I didn't plan a sleeve. Is there padding in the Filsons?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no padding in the 256 or 257 beyond the natural give of the cloth (which is not much). The much bigger 258 has padding.

--Andre

agavilanes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Copying PG on this:

Choose the one that goes better with RLBL suits
rimshot.gif

Dob

Reaction score
I went with the larger, which I use every day in law school. Works great and I don't find it too large at all. I really like the extra zipper pocket set-up on the larger bag as that is where I store my wallet, keys, sunglasses, pens, etc.... I carry a laptop but a small thin one (MB Air) bit still would not want the smaller version of the bag....

milosh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
There's no padding in the 256 or 257 beyond the natural give of the cloth (which is not much). The much bigger 258 has padding.

--Andre

I didn't know that. I think I will get the larger 257. Thank you all for helping!

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at the aiport last week when a guy noticed my 257 and said "Great little messenger bag you got there. I need something like that to go riding with!"

milosh

Reaction score
My 257 arrived yesterday and it's great. It looks great and is definitely the right size. I snapped a few pictures today:
_DSC6047.jpg

_DSC6051.jpg

_DSC6058.jpg

fatty15

Reaction score
My 257 arrived from Crane's last week.

FWIW, I find it to be just the right size, much smaller than the Tumi laptop bag that I used when travelling for business. In fact, I originally ordered the 256 and found it way too small for my needs as a grad student (laptop, couple of notebooks, 1" binder or two, sunglasses, headphones, etc.). It also looked a little "mursey" on my frame when I wore it over my shoulder (6'1" 170).

The 257 is a great bag.

jesask

Reaction score
I use the 257 with my laptop as well. I have no complaints.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads