• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The UK is THE BEST country EVER and anybody who isn't an Anglophile is a small timer!

Chase Hamilton

Reaction score
There, I've said it.

Kind Regards,

Chase

Chase Hamilton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brogue
Have you been keeping up with recent events? The UK is a shadow of its former self; tabloids, yobbery, thought control, and Royal Marines who smile ear to ear while wearing plastic suits given to them by Iran's president after a week in captivity.
Oh, please. The Duke of Windsor. Savile Row. Ascot. The Tower of London. William Shakespeare, John Milton and Samuel Pepys. The Victoria and Albert Museum. Please don't muddy the issue with your scandal sheet histrionics, Brogue. --Chase

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My family shed a considerable amount of blood fighting for America's independence from Britain. I couldn't own my guns in Britain. I could not have owned my beautiful, magnificent dogs in Britain, thanks to a lot of cowardly hysteria largely stirred up by the girlie-stripping Sun newspaper.

When I was student at Oxford, some of my British friends recommended I stay in England. They thought I might be happier there. At the time, I wondered if maybe they had a point. However, as time has gone by and with the loss of freedoms in Britain, I'm glad I bound my destiny with the good ol' USA!

Chase Hamilton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
My family shed a considerable amount of blood fighting for America's independence from Britain. I couldn't own my guns in Britain. I could not have owned my beautiful, magnificent dogs in Britain, thanks to a lot of cowardly hysteria largely stirred up by the girlie-stripping Sun newspaper. When I was student at Oxford, some of my British friends recommended I stay in England. They thought I might be happier there. At the time, I wondered if maybe they had a point. However, as time has gone by and with the loss of freedoms in Britain, I'm glad I bound my destiny with the good ol' USA!
Jan, all that may be true, but aren't you forgetting the great plays of George Bernard Shaw and Richard Brinsley Sheridan? --Chase

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am so ill-informed I don't even know who Sheridan is. Probably a reflection of my Cruiser-esque philistinism.

Can't the plays of GBS be seen here? Besides, he wasn't a Briton, he was an Irishman, was he not?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nominate for DT.

Also, the UK has too many surveillance cameras.

jkw

Reaction score
Not much time to complain, but becoming a nanny state... too many chavs - the redundant underclass left over now that we have no heavy industry etc.

Oh yea, terrible government... we need an election

Beginning to wish i had time to go on

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Italy is the only real rival to the UK for the title of greatest country ever...

Britain today isn't the greatest place in the world by a long measure though, there's been steady decline post WWII.

We still punch above our weight in the creative arts (music, literature, fashion..), everywhere else we're not doing so well.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love living in London, and Oxford was great, but there is no way I could live anywhere else in the UK. But that said, everytime I go back to the US I feel like there is no way I could live in most American cities.

Originally Posted by JLibourel
My family shed a considerable amount of blood fighting for America's independence from Britain. I couldn't own my guns in Britain. I could not have owned my beautiful, magnificent dogs in Britain, thanks to a lot of cowardly hysteria largely stirred up by the girlie-stripping Sun newspaper.

When I was student at Oxford, some of my British friends recommended I stay in England. They thought I might be happier there. At the time, I wondered if maybe they had a point. However, as time has gone by and with the loss of freedoms in Britain, I'm glad I bound my destiny with the good ol' USA!

I gave up my guns when I moved to Europe in 2002. Oddly I havent missed them, even my Glock which I carried regularly.

I wasnt as involved in them as you are though.

K

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chase Hamilton
Oh, please. The Duke of Windsor. Savile Row. Ascot. The Tower of London. William Shakespeare, John Milton and Samuel Pepys. The Victoria and Albert Museum.

Please don't muddy the issue with your scandal sheet histrionics, Brogue.

--Chase

Originally Posted by Chase Hamilton
Jan, all that may be true, but aren't you forgetting the great plays of George Bernard Shaw and Richard Brinsley Sheridan?

--Chase

Although clearly a troll, I can't help but notice that you haven't cited anything that's less than a century old.

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Although clearly a troll, I can't help but notice that you haven't cited anything that's less than a century old.

Harold Pinter.

I don't think there's a country out there that isn't interesting culturally, ergo this thread is ****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads