or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official RRL Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official RRL Thread - Page 1070

post #16036 of 21414
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRL CLOTHING View Post
 

I love all the cloak and dagger bullshit that goes on in this thread.

 

Seriously every developer has "exclusively" made "1940s" Cone denim. Roy, Rising Sun, RRL, LVC, etc. Those are nothing but industry buzz words. America is incapable of producing a top tier denim like the Japanese. It's like comparing a ZR1 to an LFA.

 

This was a switch to save money. Any denim that was "specifically designed" the Japanese mills could have designed even better versions of the same denim, hands down. Any speculation that RRL broader goals are to be "Made in America" will also never happen given that the brand is becoming mass produced, unless labor here somehow becomes cheaper than in China, India, or Turkey.

 

They can't even get half the descriptions right on their website. It makes me wonder if the "team" even cares about RRL at all. Cone is good denim (More specifically White Oak.. because Cone has mills in Mexico and China that make cheap mass produced denim..) but Japanese denim is light years better. Lets just all agree to disagree.

I agree with you on a number of points.  I've always rated Japanese denim extremely highly and I always felt the LVC White Oak denim was pretty poor. But you talk to the LVC guys and they'll disagree. What annoys me most of all is the fanboys that instantly see Japanese Fabric and automatically believe its superior to anything other countries make without fully understanding the total picture.

 

And I'm sure price as you say was a big plus as well in the switch.

 

I have to say i like the Cone fabric RRL are using for the rigids. It will be interesting to see how they fade. But then both rigid fabrics from Japan that RRL have used in the past couple of years have faded completely differently and I prefer one over the other.

post #16037 of 21414

Yeah there is a lot of overhype with Japanese denim as well. I am strictly speaking of quality brands like Samurai, Pure Blue, Oni, Momo, etc. The stuff All Saints use, Naked and Famous, Unbranded, Gap denim, PRPS Goods and Co, it's cheap Japanese denim that can be had as little as $80, but quality is in line with the price you pay.

post #16038 of 21414
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRL CLOTHING View Post

Yeah there is a lot of overhype with Japanese denim as well. I am strictly speaking of quality brands like Samurai, Pure Blue, Oni, Momo, etc. The stuff All Saints use, Naked and Famous, Unbranded, Gap denim, PRPS Goods and Co, it's cheap Japanese denim that can be had as little as $80, but quality is in line with the price you pay.

For the money i think Momotaro (especially the Vintage line) has the best Japanese denim for a "reasonable" price. Walking into those denim stores in Ueno in Tokyo can be fucking overwhelming
post #16039 of 21414
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRL CLOTHING View Post

Yeah there is a lot of overhype with Japanese denim as well. I am strictly speaking of quality brands like Samurai, Pure Blue, Oni, Momo, etc. The stuff All Saints use, Naked and Famous, Unbranded, Gap denim, PRPS Goods and Co, it's cheap Japanese denim that can be had as little as $80, but quality is in line with the price you pay.

+1

Quality is all over the place for both “Japanese” and Cone.

My ROYS from last year really impressed me with their Cone denim. Ditto for my Tellason 16.75 oz.

Had a few pair of N&F in the past and the denim was not impressive at all. My RRL low straight raws from 2012 have been my favorite pair of raws to break in.
post #16040 of 21414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost01 View Post

I agree with you on a number of points.  I've always rated Japanese denim extremely highly and I always felt the LVC White Oak denim was pretty poor. But you talk to the LVC guys and they'll disagree. What annoys me most of all is the fanboys that instantly see Japanese Fabric and automatically believe its superior to anything other countries make without fully understanding the total picture.

And I'm sure price as you say was a big plus as well in the switch.

I have to say i like the Cone fabric RRL are using for the rigids. It will be interesting to see how they fade. But then both rigid fabrics from Japan that RRL have used in the past couple of years have faded completely differently and I prefer one over the other.

And no one on this board has to run a global operation, grow an iconic brand and maintain a profitable business. I hang out with a lot of the folks who design, source and produce these products. I hear the horror stories (much worse than the shit that's being talked up here) and I'm still amazed at the passion and enthusiasm these guys put into producing every new piece. It's amazing, every detail is scrutinized over and over by RL's teams. Incredible that they get so much done season after season, year after year. Pretty impressive.. I'm personally more into artisanal brands because they represent old school, small shop craftsmanship but I really have to hand it to RL for their part in building awareness for this roots oriented "handcrafted" ethic even though they can't nearly duplicate the authenticity that others create.
post #16041 of 21414
Quote:
Originally Posted by srgprod View Post


And no one on this board has to run a global operation, grow an iconic brand and maintain a profitable business. I hang out with a lot of the folks who design, source and produce these products. I hear the horror stories (much worse than the shit that's being talked up here) and I'm still amazed at the passion and enthusiasm these guys put into producing every new piece. It's amazing, every detail is scrutinized over and over by RL's teams. Incredible that they get so much done season after season, year after year. Pretty impressive.. I'm personally more into artisanal brands because they represent old school, small shop craftsmanship but I really have to hand it to RL for their part in building awareness for this roots oriented "handcrafted" ethic even though they can't nearly duplicate the authenticity that others create.

 

And RL has been doing RRL for 20 years (and before that Polo Country). He basically invented the "Heritage" fashion industry we see now across the world.

post #16042 of 21414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost01 View Post

And RL has been doing RRL for 20 years (and before that Polo Country). He basically invented the "Heritage" fashion industry we see now across the world.

And its not only RRL. They do it for PRL, BL, Purple Label, Couture, Footwear, Women's Wear, Accessories, Home and on and on. It's really amazing.

They're in the fantasy lifestyle business. Americana, Western, Native American, Work Wear, Military, Miner, Sportsmen, Adventurer, Explorer, White Collar, Blue Collar, Executive, Captain of Industry, English, French, Italian bespoke, Turn of the Century, 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's...
post #16043 of 21414
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post


+1

Quality is all over the place for both “Japanese” and Cone.

My ROYS from last year really impressed me with their Cone denim. Ditto for my Tellason 16.75 oz.

Had a few pair of N&F in the past and the denim was not impressive at all. My RRL low straight raws from 2012 have been my favorite pair of raws to break in.

 

I've looked for low straight raw on the RRL site and don't see them. Do they still sell them?

post #16044 of 21414
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldenfan View Post

I've looked for low straight raw on the RRL site and don't see them. Do they still sell them?


http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11750061&f=Men&kw=low+straight+rigid&parentPage=search

?
post #16045 of 21414

 

Ah, thanks. Didn't realize rigid and raw are synonymous in denim lingo. I may need to pick up a pair of these now. Thanks!

post #16046 of 21414
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldenfan View Post

Ah, thanks. Didn't realize rigid and raw are synonymous in denim lingo. I may need to pick up a pair of these now. Thanks!

RRL calls them rigid, though I think once washed and rinse are more or less raw as well
post #16047 of 21414
Srgprod:


Thanks for the advice. I called around and finally found that shirt in denver, an hour before they were packing up the rest of the sale merchandise and shipping it off.
I love the shirt. I'm so stoked I was able to score it.icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Edited by sazon - 9/5/13 at 3:14pm
post #16048 of 21414
I've been wanting some RRL Slim Fits for years ever since I tried them on 2 years ago and I finally scored some RRL Slim Fit Rinsed jeans on eBay.

When I received them, I was a little surprised that the selvegde line wasn't the bold red color that I remembered but more of a subdued red color. I heard that they are using Cone denim now instead of Japanese Denim and so I was a little worried that I got the new Cone denims.

The pocket bags say Made in the USA of the Finest Japanese Selvedge Denim so I'm pretty sure that they are Japanese Denim and not Cone denim, but I could have sworn that the selvedge line was different when I tried it on a few year ago. Does anyone know if they switched Japanese denim a few years back?

Either way, the jeans are beautiful regardless, the denim is hairy and substantial and although they are a little snug (I need to lose some poundage per the doctors orders), I know they will be one of my favorites.
post #16049 of 21414
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0emama View Post

I've been wanting some RRL Slim Fits for years ever since I tried them on 2 years ago and I finally scored some RRL Slim Fit Rinsed jeans on eBay.

When I received them, I was a little surprised that the selvegde line wasn't the bold red color that I remembered but more of a subdued red color. I heard that they are using Cone denim now instead of Japanese Denim and so I was a little worried that I got the new Cone denims.

The pocket bags say Made in the USA of the Finest Japanese Selvedge Denim so I'm pretty sure that they are Japanese Denim and not Cone denim, but I could have sworn that the selvedge line was different when I tried it on a few year ago. Does anyone know if they switched Japanese denim a few years back?

Either way, the jeans are beautiful regardless, the denim is hairy and substantial and although they are a little snug (I need to lose some poundage per the doctors orders), I know they will be one of my favorites.

 

 

Wow Joe, I remember you from the AF/HF days... Nice to see you finally got around to owning some good jeans.

post #16050 of 21414
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRL CLOTHING View Post


Wow Joe, I remember you from the AF/HF days... Nice to see you finally got around to owning some good jeans.
Ha ha ha...oh those were the days...but it led me to good denim. Nudie --> APC --> Samurai --> RRL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official RRL Thread