or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official RRL Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official RRL Thread - Page 860

post #12886 of 20927

Anybody getting this dandy?

1000

post #12887 of 20927
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobearH View Post

Anybody getting this dandy?
1000

........no.
post #12888 of 20927
Cone denim is nice, but feels a bit basic to me. Comparing it to something like say, Sugar Cane Okinawa, there's just no comparison. Japanese denim always felt better, and I'm sad they're departing from it.
Edited by stickshift - 12/13/12 at 4:24pm
post #12889 of 20927

I'm not usually into pre-distressed denim, but thinking of getting the Low Straight Tinted Denim currently part of the sale.

 

Opinons?

post #12890 of 20927
Why don't they release that left hand twill in raw or rinse....
post #12891 of 20927

I was waiting for RRL to switch to Cone. It's the obvious choice and good for the economy. I always assumed they were using Cone for some of their one-off washes they did in the past that didn't say Japan denim on the inside pocket and for the non-selvedge zip fly models and some women's models from the past and present collections. 

 

It's getting hard to compete and offer raw Japanese selvedge denim for $250. I don't know how they're going to justify charging $450 for premium washes made from Cone denim nor do I think that Cone denim will have the same depth and color variations from the lab washes.

 

On the other hand Raleigh has no problem moving tons of their Cone raw jeans at $300+ so maybe there is a bigger market for White Oak then we think, especially in Japan. Time will tell whether or not the switch will be a success, if at all, or maybe they're just doing a few SS '13 jeans this way and not messing with the core denim.

 

Also I read somewhere that the RRL denim labs are somewhere Midwest, not LA.

post #12892 of 20927
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRL CLOTHING View Post

I was waiting for RRL to switch to cone. It's the obvious choice. I always assumed they were using Cone for some of their one-off washes they did in the past that didn't say Japan denim on the inside pocket and for the non-selvedge zip fly models and some women's models from the past and present collections. 

It's getting hard to compete and offer raw Japanese selvedge denim for $250. I don't know how they're going to justify charging $450 for premium washes made from Cone denim nor do I think the denim will have the same depth and color variations.

On the other hand Raleigh has no problem moving tons of their Cone raw jeans at $300+ so maybe there is a bigger market for White Oak then we think. Time will tell whether or not the switch will be a success, if at all, or maybe they're just doing a few SS '13 jeans this way and not messing with the core denim.

I really doubt RRL is just going to suspend the Japanese denim, which I would say are a staple icon of the brand.
post #12893 of 20927
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRL CLOTHING View Post

I was waiting for RRL to switch to Cone. It's the obvious choice and good for the economy. I always assumed they were using Cone for some of their one-off washes they did in the past that didn't say Japan denim on the inside pocket and for the non-selvedge zip fly models and some women's models from the past and present collections. 

 

It's getting hard to compete and offer raw Japanese selvedge denim for $250. I don't know how they're going to justify charging $450 for premium washes made from Cone denim nor do I think that Cone denim will have the same depth and color variations from the lab washes.

 

On the other hand Raleigh has no problem moving tons of their Cone raw jeans at $300+ so maybe there is a bigger market for White Oak then we think, especially in Japan. Time will tell whether or not the switch will be a success, if at all, or maybe they're just doing a few SS '13 jeans this way and not messing with the core denim.

 

Also I read somewhere that the RRL denim labs are somewhere Midwest, not LA.

As of very recently, all of their denim is made at denim tech in LA. I don't know if that changed with the Cone denim sourcing but I don't see why it would. 

post #12894 of 20927
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoit1981 View Post


They going to be using Cone for all denim?!

I've seen nothing to suggest this---it looks like they're using cone for a couple of items so far, and everything else is still Japanese.

post #12895 of 20927
I guess its true that good things come to those who wait, got that Fair Isle Cardigan for $165.
post #12896 of 20927

I'm lucky to have a bit of inside info on the switch to Cone denim.

RRL have been working with Cone for a number of seasons to develop an exclusive fabric. My understanding is that its heavier than any other stock denim they produce for all the other brands. RRL always have exclusive fabric even from their Japanese suppliers. They've also been holding off on this for a number of seasons as they felt the development wasn't good enough. It will only be used on seasonal washes with the core carrying on as the Japanese fabrics. I for one am looking forward to seeing it.

post #12897 of 20927

Just out of curiousity, what makes the Japanese denim "better" than Cone? Is it a quality, durability, fade properties, etc.?

 

Note, my only selvedge experience has been with Cone (Levi selvedge 501 and Tellason) so I don't have a frame of reference.

post #12898 of 20927
Did anyone buy the fair isle sweater? Or fleece? ... Was thinking about getting it but wasn't sure if it actually felt like a legit sweater or felt like a fleece/sweatshirt you'd throw on with sweatpants.

Anyone have the fair isle sweater?
post #12899 of 20927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denim View Post

Did anyone buy the fair isle sweater? Or fleece? ... Was thinking about getting it but wasn't sure if it actually felt like a legit sweater or felt like a fleece/sweatshirt you'd throw on with sweatpants.
Anyone have the fair isle sweater?

If by you mean this one...then IMO definitely more a true sweatshirt over a sweater. I have been wearing it in the evenings with my RRL slouch pants.1000

 

1000

post #12900 of 20927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost01 View Post

I'm lucky to have a bit of inside info on the switch to Cone denim.
RRL have been working with Cone for a number of seasons to develop an exclusive fabric. My understanding is that its heavier than any other stock denim they produce for all the other brands. RRL always have exclusive fabric even from their Japanese suppliers. They've also been holding off on this for a number of seasons as they felt the development wasn't good enough. It will only be used on seasonal washes with the core carrying on as the Japanese fabrics. I for one am looking forward to seeing it.

That actually sounds very intriguing. Kind of interested in seeing this Cone fabric - sounds like it might be pretty solid. Of of interest, where do you get your info?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official RRL Thread