Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- **NWT RRL Ralph Lauren Jeans Sizes 34x32, One Pair Left* Last post on 5/1/11 at 7:49pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- CDG, RRL, EG, Gitman, W+H, DIOR Last post on 6/1/11 at 11:36pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- RRL jeans - Black on Black Slim-fit 32/34 and Black Dust Low-Straight 34/34 Last post on 10/15/12 at 10:21pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. Last post on Today at 9:13 am in Streetwear and Denim
- Momotaro x Blue Owl Collaboration Series Last post on 12/3/13 at 6:37pm in Streetwear and Denim
Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
Last edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- A Passion for Denim: The Story of Rivet & HideLast edited: 12/7/15
- Fok's Picks: The Five Best Denim Stores (That You Can Also...Last edited: 3/6/16
- What I Learned from Slim DenimLast edited: 12/21/14
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Official RRL Thread - Page 742post #11117 of 267737/31/12 at 2:15pmpost #11118 of 267737/31/12 at 2:25pmpost #11119 of 267737/31/12 at 3:18pmpost #11120 of 267737/31/12 at 3:46pmpost #11121 of 267737/31/12 at 4:05pmpost #11122 of 267737/31/12 at 4:08pmpost #11123 of 267737/31/12 at 5:41pmpost #11124 of 267737/31/12 at 6:53pmpost #11125 of 267737/31/12 at 7:17pmpost #11126 of 267737/31/12 at 7:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by Opermann
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Quote:
This is a great vest. Very heavy, very legit... perfect for hunting, fishing, or disarming a bomb. I was checking it out next to the fair isle cardigan, which incidentally is not quite as nice in person. There was a chunky brown wool sweater (cardigan I think) that I actually liked better.Quote:
Yes the peacoat is a bit roomy but it's meant to be worn with a thick sweater underneath. I would not say it's crazy big though. It's a pretty faithful military repro so it doesn't fit quite as slim as the Polo version. The wool is like a super thick army blanket so it's not like your average gap or jcrew peacoat. It blocks winter winds like a champ!
Given the retail of $1k, I think that ebay pea coat is the made in Italy one from a couple years ago.
More recently, there was a made in China version that was a few hundred dollars less.
I think the made in China version fits bigger than the Italian one.post #11127 of 267737/31/12 at 11:42pm
ok, the main differences between the julian and new style engineer boots. All of this is just IMO...what I consider good you may consider bad and vice/versa. I am not a leather expert or a boot expert.
Julians I think are better made as far as detail and craftsmanship. The leather is thicker and stiffer-reminds me of some steerhide motorcycle wallets I have. Disadvantage- they just don't fit well. Even with years of use I doubt they would be as comfortable as the new style.
New style- more sleek and refined. The fit is amazing. The boots are lighter in weight. The leather is 4/5 as thick as the julians, but WAY, WAY softer. I don't know enough about leather to know if it is inferior/superior. The fit compared with the julians though is like night and day.
new on left, julians on right- you can see the new are more narrow, different heels, stitching is better on the julians
The buckles are sturdier on the julians, but keep in mind the leather is also thicker and tougher. I like the new buckles better as they are different than the usual style and I've only seen some like it on vintage boots. Notice the strap placement is different. The new style let's you strap in tighter to your foot. Both have double row stitching- notice it's very narrow on the julians and wider on the new style.
Notice the flaps are opposite. Julians on left- shaft is a little wider and about half inch shorter, natural leather inside. New style on right- shaft is about a half inch taller and more narrow, I can't tell if the leather is dyed on the inside or if it is dyed all the way through. Actually a reinforcement going up the back inside also
New style on left- heel is more narrow and has more of a curve. new style is more natural finish while julians are darker covered in more dye. Notice the julian sole is cleaner
New style on left, julians on right
logo is so generic on the new ones, nice logo on julians
again shaft is more curved=wider on julians
instep of the new style, again showing how narrow. They fit more like shoes than boots
instep of julians, not as curved of pronounced
Hope this helps. Like I said I like the new style better, I'm just hoping the softer leather will hold up for a few years. The julians are built like tanks, they just don't fit (ME) wellpost #11128 of 267738/1/12 at 3:45ampost #11129 of 267738/1/12 at 6:33am
It is not really that thick, but even more the wool felt flimsy and a bit scratchy. It may have started pilling while I was looking at it.
That said, it you like it I'd grab it when it goes on sale. It is still pretty nice by normal standards. But... If the blue cable knit is anything like the Lighthouse hooded sweater from a few seasons back, it's much nicer.post #11130 of 267738/1/12 at 6:36am
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...
- › Yang Li Crinkle Viscose 'Benz' Jacket 48 seconds ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Engineered Garments FW 16 2 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL Trump v. Clinton Debate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 5 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 7 minutes ago
- › WTF over-zealous police? 8 minutes ago
- › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes,... 9 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...