Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- **NWT RRL Ralph Lauren Jeans Sizes 34x32, One Pair Left* Last post on 5/1/11 at 7:49pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- CDG, RRL, EG, Gitman, W+H, DIOR Last post on 6/1/11 at 11:36pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- RRL jeans - Black on Black Slim-fit 32/34 and Black Dust Low-Straight 34/34 Last post on 10/15/12 at 10:21pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- Momotaro x Blue Owl Collaboration Series Last post on 12/3/13 at 6:37pm in Streetwear and Denim
- MEGATHREAD - SHIRTS, SHIRTS, SHIRTS - 80+ Shirts for Sale - Every Size!!! Last post on 5/5/12 at 7:39am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Official RRL Thread - Page 742
Styleforum Top Picks
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
This is a great vest. Very heavy, very legit... perfect for hunting, fishing, or disarming a bomb. I was checking it out next to the fair isle cardigan, which incidentally is not quite as nice in person. There was a chunky brown wool sweater (cardigan I think) that I actually liked better.
Yes the peacoat is a bit roomy but it's meant to be worn with a thick sweater underneath. I would not say it's crazy big though. It's a pretty faithful military repro so it doesn't fit quite as slim as the Polo version. The wool is like a super thick army blanket so it's not like your average gap or jcrew peacoat. It blocks winter winds like a champ!
Given the retail of $1k, I think that ebay pea coat is the made in Italy one from a couple years ago.
More recently, there was a made in China version that was a few hundred dollars less.
I think the made in China version fits bigger than the Italian one.
ok, the main differences between the julian and new style engineer boots. All of this is just IMO...what I consider good you may consider bad and vice/versa. I am not a leather expert or a boot expert.
Julians I think are better made as far as detail and craftsmanship. The leather is thicker and stiffer-reminds me of some steerhide motorcycle wallets I have. Disadvantage- they just don't fit well. Even with years of use I doubt they would be as comfortable as the new style.
New style- more sleek and refined. The fit is amazing. The boots are lighter in weight. The leather is 4/5 as thick as the julians, but WAY, WAY softer. I don't know enough about leather to know if it is inferior/superior. The fit compared with the julians though is like night and day.
new on left, julians on right- you can see the new are more narrow, different heels, stitching is better on the julians
The buckles are sturdier on the julians, but keep in mind the leather is also thicker and tougher. I like the new buckles better as they are different than the usual style and I've only seen some like it on vintage boots. Notice the strap placement is different. The new style let's you strap in tighter to your foot. Both have double row stitching- notice it's very narrow on the julians and wider on the new style.
Notice the flaps are opposite. Julians on left- shaft is a little wider and about half inch shorter, natural leather inside. New style on right- shaft is about a half inch taller and more narrow, I can't tell if the leather is dyed on the inside or if it is dyed all the way through. Actually a reinforcement going up the back inside also
New style on left- heel is more narrow and has more of a curve. new style is more natural finish while julians are darker covered in more dye. Notice the julian sole is cleaner
New style on left, julians on right
logo is so generic on the new ones, nice logo on julians
again shaft is more curved=wider on julians
instep of the new style, again showing how narrow. They fit more like shoes than boots
instep of julians, not as curved of pronounced
Hope this helps. Like I said I like the new style better, I'm just hoping the softer leather will hold up for a few years. The julians are built like tanks, they just don't fit (ME) well
It is not really that thick, but even more the wool felt flimsy and a bit scratchy. It may have started pilling while I was looking at it.
That said, it you like it I'd grab it when it goes on sale. It is still pretty nice by normal standards. But... If the blue cable knit is anything like the Lighthouse hooded sweater from a few seasons back, it's much nicer.
- The Official RRL Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros slim fit Japanese double rider MTO 14 seconds ago
- › Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Part II 44 seconds ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 1 minute ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 2 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 4 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 4 minutes ago
- › Obenauf's LP: It works 5 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan
- › Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the Blue
- › Clothing for Hard Work
- › Sakura Season
- › A Brief History of Indigo
- › The (Red) Thread Connecting Italy and Japan
- › Two Japanese Words Every Clothing Dork Should...