Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- **NWT RRL Ralph Lauren Jeans Sizes 34x32, One Pair Left* Last post on 5/1/11 at 7:49pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- CDG, RRL, EG, Gitman, W+H, DIOR Last post on 6/1/11 at 11:36pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- RRL jeans - Black on Black Slim-fit 32/34 and Black Dust Low-Straight 34/34 Last post on 10/15/12 at 10:21pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. Last post on Today at 6:47 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Momotaro x Blue Owl Collaboration Series Last post on 12/3/13 at 6:37pm in Streetwear and Denim
A Passion for Denim: The Story of Rivet & Hide
Last edited: 12/7/15
- Fok's Picks: The Five Best Denim Stores (That You Can Also...Last edited: 12/9/15
- What I Learned from Slim DenimLast edited: 12/21/14
- Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?Last edited: 1/27/16
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?Last edited: 1/27/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Official RRL Thread - Page 742
Styleforum Top Pickspost #11117 of 255697/31/12 at 2:15pmpost #11118 of 255697/31/12 at 2:25pmpost #11119 of 255697/31/12 at 3:18pmpost #11120 of 255697/31/12 at 3:46pmpost #11121 of 255697/31/12 at 4:05pmpost #11122 of 255697/31/12 at 4:08pmpost #11123 of 255697/31/12 at 5:41pmpost #11124 of 255697/31/12 at 6:53pmpost #11125 of 255697/31/12 at 7:17pmpost #11126 of 255697/31/12 at 7:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by Opermann
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Quote:
This is a great vest. Very heavy, very legit... perfect for hunting, fishing, or disarming a bomb. I was checking it out next to the fair isle cardigan, which incidentally is not quite as nice in person. There was a chunky brown wool sweater (cardigan I think) that I actually liked better.Quote:
Yes the peacoat is a bit roomy but it's meant to be worn with a thick sweater underneath. I would not say it's crazy big though. It's a pretty faithful military repro so it doesn't fit quite as slim as the Polo version. The wool is like a super thick army blanket so it's not like your average gap or jcrew peacoat. It blocks winter winds like a champ!
Given the retail of $1k, I think that ebay pea coat is the made in Italy one from a couple years ago.
More recently, there was a made in China version that was a few hundred dollars less.
I think the made in China version fits bigger than the Italian one.post #11127 of 255697/31/12 at 11:42pm
ok, the main differences between the julian and new style engineer boots. All of this is just IMO...what I consider good you may consider bad and vice/versa. I am not a leather expert or a boot expert.
Julians I think are better made as far as detail and craftsmanship. The leather is thicker and stiffer-reminds me of some steerhide motorcycle wallets I have. Disadvantage- they just don't fit well. Even with years of use I doubt they would be as comfortable as the new style.
New style- more sleek and refined. The fit is amazing. The boots are lighter in weight. The leather is 4/5 as thick as the julians, but WAY, WAY softer. I don't know enough about leather to know if it is inferior/superior. The fit compared with the julians though is like night and day.
new on left, julians on right- you can see the new are more narrow, different heels, stitching is better on the julians
The buckles are sturdier on the julians, but keep in mind the leather is also thicker and tougher. I like the new buckles better as they are different than the usual style and I've only seen some like it on vintage boots. Notice the strap placement is different. The new style let's you strap in tighter to your foot. Both have double row stitching- notice it's very narrow on the julians and wider on the new style.
Notice the flaps are opposite. Julians on left- shaft is a little wider and about half inch shorter, natural leather inside. New style on right- shaft is about a half inch taller and more narrow, I can't tell if the leather is dyed on the inside or if it is dyed all the way through. Actually a reinforcement going up the back inside also
New style on left- heel is more narrow and has more of a curve. new style is more natural finish while julians are darker covered in more dye. Notice the julian sole is cleaner
New style on left, julians on right
logo is so generic on the new ones, nice logo on julians
again shaft is more curved=wider on julians
instep of the new style, again showing how narrow. They fit more like shoes than boots
instep of julians, not as curved of pronounced
Hope this helps. Like I said I like the new style better, I'm just hoping the softer leather will hold up for a few years. The julians are built like tanks, they just don't fit (ME) wellpost #11128 of 255698/1/12 at 3:45ampost #11129 of 255698/1/12 at 6:33am
It is not really that thick, but even more the wool felt flimsy and a bit scratchy. It may have started pilling while I was looking at it.
That said, it you like it I'd grab it when it goes on sale. It is still pretty nice by normal standards. But... If the blue cable knit is anything like the Lighthouse hooded sweater from a few seasons back, it's much nicer.post #11130 of 255698/1/12 at 6:36am
- The Official RRL Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- Fok's Picks: The Five Best Denim Stores (That You Can Also...
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 10 seconds ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 1 minute ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 1 minute ago
- › Tailor in London for a classic navy three piece wedding suit 5 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 8 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 10 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments SS 16 12 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 13 minutes ago
- › Adidas Horween Veg Tanned Leather Stan Smith 10.5 New 16 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What products do I use and how to I care for...
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.