or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › This interior is amazing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

This interior is amazing - Page 5

post #61 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatty8 View Post
So the Phaeton was only discontinued for the U.S. markets? Interesting. Wonder if that says anything about the immense power of brand in the United States? I am a BMW man, and could never see myself in a VW, ever. I actually doubt I'd even give the brand a chance since I can't think of a situation in which I'd find myself test driving a VW to be won over. That said, BMW earned my loyalty through terrific performance, excellent service, and what I find is pleasant styling. I don't think VW has ever had a car at my point on the demand curve. The Phaeton is nice, but I could never see myself driving it, or its closest competitors. Not me.
Yes it was discontinued in North America (in 2006) partly due to the brand name issue while its virtual twin (The Bentley Continental) sold/sells like hot cakes in North America again due to the brand name and the nouveau rich of the entertainment industry. In 2004 (it actually was launched for sales in Europe in 2002) when I heard of the Phaeton, like most uninformed, I thought VW (V.A.G) was stupid for diluting its Marques by producing an identical car that would rival its A8 but after extensive research, I realized I was mistaken so in 2006 I ordered mine without even test driving one and I still smile with pleasure when I walk past it as it sits in the garage. I'm a 4 door full sized luxo barge buyer which people sometimes find odd considering I'm in my late 30s now and have been this way forever. I used to own a 740i Sport which I sold in my quest for the stealth luxo barge and ended up with the A8L which started my love affair with the V.A.G line of cars. I have flirted with the idea of getting an M5 a few times to replace the A8L as the sidekick of the Phaeton and still occasionally do but for now I'm aiming for 100% V.A.G which means my next upgrade car purchase would have to be either the W12 A8L or V10 S8. Below is the number of high end cars that was sold in Germany during the month of February 2009 472 Benz S-Class 390 BMW 7 Series 267 VW Phaeton 149 Audi A8 112 Benz CLS 18 Bentley 2 Rolls Royce 1 Maybach and extremely few Lexus and Jaguars.
post #62 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekunk07 View Post
^test drove a phaeton when i got my touareg. was totally blown away. was seemingly killed by brand whores who as you say preferred to overpay for more expensive buy equal or inferior cars.
It did have a nice interior, but it was also about the same price as the Audi A8 and a lot heavier due to the less-interesting construction techniques/materials. And without the elegance of line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Below is the number of high end cars that was sold in Germany during the month of February 2009 472 Benz S-Class 390 BMW 7 Series 267 VW Phaeton 149 Audi A8 112 Benz CLS 18 Bentley 2 Rolls Royce 1 Maybach and extremely few Lexus and Jaguars.
That really just speaks to German chauvinism. At that level, they're all leather-and-wood-lined toasters anyway. The Lexus will at least be a more reliable toaster, though the Audi's stereo is cooler and possibly better-sounding. As for the Jaguar...it's a pity they're saddled with those Yank V8s but their new ones are interesting. And supposedly reliable. With a 2.5-3L straight six, gas or Diesel, it would probably be the pick of the class.
post #63 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010 View Post
It did have a nice interior, but it was also about the same price as the Audi A8 and a lot heavier due to the less-interesting construction techniques/materials. And without the elegance of line.
A 10K-20K price difference between comparably loaded vehicles is far from being the same price and yes the Phaeton is the heaviest car in its class at about 5200lbs. Try having an Audi A8 run into one full head on and see which one would be left standing. Also on the looks bit, the Audi A8 since 2005 has shifted direction from being the understated Luxo barge to become the official VAG challenger to BMW while the Phaeton now serves as the understated one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010 View Post
That really just speaks to German chauvinism. At that level, they're all leather-and-wood-lined toasters anyway. The Lexus will at least be a more reliable toaster, though the Audi's stereo is cooler and possibly better-sounding. As for the Jaguar...it's a pity they're saddled with those Yank V8s but their new ones are interesting. And supposedly reliable. With a 2.5-3L straight six, gas or Diesel, it would probably be the pick of the class.
I like your very apt coinage "leather-and-wood-lined toasters" but who needs a generic looking but reliable toaster aka plain Jane mistress when there are smoking hot super sexy German engineered ones?
post #64 of 79
Are the Phaetons made in Germany?
post #65 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatty8 View Post
Are the Phaetons made in Germany?

Yes, in the famous 'glass' factory. The factory is located in Dresen.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1837641
post #66 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Yes, in the famous 'glass' factory. The factory is located in Dresen.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1837641

Wow, that factory shop floor is cleaner than my living room floor!! I'd love to see a similar thread on BMW's facility.
post #67 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010 View Post
That really just speaks to German chauvinism. At that level, they're all leather-and-wood-lined toasters anyway. The Lexus will at least be a more reliable toaster, though the Audi's stereo is cooler and possibly better-sounding. As for the Jaguar...it's a pity they're saddled with those Yank V8s but their new ones are interesting. And supposedly reliable. With a 2.5-3L straight six, gas or Diesel, it would probably be the pick of the class.

There still is a huge difference in the look and feel of a well engineered German car or a Lexus. A lexus is a pretty good luxury car, but the look and feel is definitely cheaper than a BMW or Merc. Especially the type of leather and plastics they use look a lot cheaper than in their German competitors.
post #68 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatty8 View Post
Are the Phaetons made in Germany?
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.       I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.       I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
post #69 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatty8 View Post
Wow, that factory shop floor is cleaner than my living room floor!! I'd love to see a similar thread on BMW's facility.

Google for BMW Welt. The main facility is beautiful, but the adjoining factory doesn't go through it. If you get a chance to visit, you should take the factory tour. It was eye-opening, in a very good way.

--Andre
post #70 of 79
The BMW World (Welt) is gorgeous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Welt
post #71 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Y View Post
Google for BMW Welt. The main facility is beautiful, but the adjoining factory doesn't go through it. If you get a chance to visit, you should take the factory tour. It was eye-opening, in a very good way.

--Andre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
The BMW World (Welt) is gorgeous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Welt

Thanks.
post #72 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
The BMW World (Welt) is gorgeous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Welt

Yes it is!

I have a few more career goals to accomplish (mostly involving a lot of long, tedious, studying & working hours, so I need some sort of reward to motivate myself) and then I am ordering a 2010 LCI E92 M-sport coupe to pick up there via European Delivery. Excited is an understatement.
post #73 of 79
For a lot less money, this is a less pretty factory that also produces a nice car. http://images.businessweek.com/ss/07...s/index_01.htm
post #74 of 79
These run-of-the-mill mass-production car factories are all small-time compared to the McLaren Technology Center:

http://www.mclaren.co.uk/technologycentre/

Video tour: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...82023031876825








--Andre
post #75 of 79
Kirk to Enterprise..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › This interior is amazing