• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shell Cordovan vs. regular leather

laxexquis

Reaction score
What are the differences and the positives of the real cordovan?

Thanks
John

DandySF

Reaction score
Late last year I was in the local Alden store trying on calf loafers. The salesman brought out a pair in cordovan, which I was not looking for. As soon as I saw their sheen and color I was ruined for the calf. I've found that they do wear a bit warm.

laxexquis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DandySF
Late last year I was in the local Alden store trying on calf loafers. The salesman brought out a pair in cordovan, which I was not looking for. As soon as I saw their sheen and color I was ruined for the calf. I've found that they do wear a bit warm.

When you say they wear warm do you mean literally?

Thanks
John

LeicaLad

Reaction score
Shell cordovan is denser, with tighter pores. It is warmer (hotter) than calf, but is better at repelling water.

Generally speaking, shell is not that great for the tropics.

laxexquis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeicaLad
Shell cordovan is denser, with tighter pores. It is warmer (hotter) than calf, but is better at repelling water.

Generally speaking, shell is not that great for the tropics.

Ok, that makes sense. So actually shell cordovan shoes would be great for the winter, (between warmth and how they repel water.

The reason why I ask all this is because I am currently looking to purchase a few Aldens. I live in new york hence temperatures can vary from 95 to 0. I am really only looking to purchase three of the same style shoes, one in tan, one in black and one in mahogany. Now the tan will defiantly be in calf, but I don't know whether of not to get the black and mahogany in cordovan. These shoes will be worn a lot, in snow, rain etc.

What do you think?

Thanks
John

Blackl3232

Reaction score
Get the black in calf, and the burgundy in shell, imo.

I wouldn't get the same shoe in three different colors though...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear shell cordovan year round, including in very hot climates. They are very comfortable for me however, others have found them to be too hot for summer.

laxexquis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackl3232
Get the black in calf, and the burgundy in shell, imo.

I wouldn't get the same shoe in three different colors though...

Thanks for the input.

Just wondering why you think to get the black in calf and burgundy in shell?

Thanks
John

Busa Dave

Reaction score
I live in the DFW area and I wear nothing but Alden Shell shoes (few sharks from others) for almost 25 years and love them in the hot and the cold.. My new Cigar Cap Toes are on the way as of today!!

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thuroughly tired of trying to remove scuff marks and bumps and such, on my shell wingtips. Nothing works regardless of what I try. On the other hand, my calf shoes always polish up amazingly well and look beautiful.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go back and forth on the relative merits of shell. On the one hand they look great (to me), on the other hand I could totally understand if a n00b looked at them and thought they were made of pleather or vinyl.

I just wore my brown Darltons today and they kicked ass. They weren't hot even though it was 96 degrees out.

laxexquis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I go back and forth on the relative merits of shell. On the one hand they look great (to me), on the other hand I could totally understand if a n00b looked at them and thought they were made of pleather or vinyl.

I just wore my brown Darltons today and they kicked ass. They weren't hot even though it was 96 degrees out.

Now I understand why it would be better to get shell in burgundy and not black (black will look like vinyl like you said).

John

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The shininess of cordovan isn't a given; it depends on how much it's been waxed and buffed. My shell Aldens straight from the factory had a very nice matte finish.

Calfskin can be gorgeous in its own right, but I like that shell requires so little maintenance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads