• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Degrees that can actually land you a decent job

TylerDurden

Reaction score
This is granted I actually can get ahold of student loans to pay for college, as im broke and unemployed.

So my question to you all, what Degrees should a person get that can actually land them a decent paying and enjoyable job?

Reading about the people here who consider their degree's worthless, i don't want to fall into that trap.

It even happened to my sister, she got a BA degree in basically what she wanted to do, and the only jobs she's been able to get are minimum wage, like she didn't even goto college.

It looks like (if I can get student loans), Im going to be paying an arm and leg for college, I want to get a decent job when I get out, and have it be enjoyable....

I was looking Psychology (one of my interests), but there is basically jack **** for jobs when your done. And I've thought about Finance or Accounting, but I don't want to work in a call center for a retirement company or be stuck in a room as a bean counter..... I thought about Biology as well, but I know someone who graduated with a BS in Bio and could only find a $9 an hour job as a lab assistant.

Engineering seems to be a good choice...

Electrical
Mechanical
Chemical
Engineers all make the top starting pay, but I don't know I can do all the math.

Does anyone think being a Civil Engineer would be a good career path? Seems like it might be interesting to help design cities and towns. Again very math intense.

Are the majority of business degree crap?

Or are there any degree's that lead to highly enjoyable jobs?

Please post your thoughts....

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can skip college and get your hands dirty as a steamfitter, electrician or plumber. You will make more than the vast majority of recent college graduates with a 40 hour or less workweek.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
engineering is pretty profitable right out of college. but i have to say you can't do much with a bachelor's these days if you want more than a call center or a bean counter kinda job. you can make decent money as a phd and most science phd programs with good prospects for grants give you stipend and free tuition until you get your phd. sure a plumber can make more right away than a recent college graduate but definitely not as much as a newly minted phd.

mistewacko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell
You can skip college and get your hands dirty as a steamfitter, electrician or plumber. You will make more than the vast majority of recent college graduates with a 40 hour or less workweek.

^I agree. Or get a degree where you can make something or provide a service that society needs. i.e. Chemical/Petroleum Engineering, Nursing, ect... All other degrees in this economy are now a luxury.

enjoiii

Reaction score
I think your discrediting accounting. That's what I'm currently taking and once I'm done I'll be working for one of the Big 4 accounting firms and getting my CA. Once you've got that on your resume there is lots of things you can do especially if you article with the Big 4.

Two summers ago when I was working on the Sea 2 Sky highway project in Vancouver for the 2010 Olympics I was actually making more then then my civil engineer foreman doing MSE walls and I had no experience. Eventually with an engineering degree you can make good money but as with anything that takes time.

Jenaimarr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
engineering is pretty profitable right out of college. but i have to say you can't do much with a bachelor's these days if you want more than a call center or a bean counter kinda job. you can make decent money as a phd and most science phd programs with good prospects for grants give you stipend and free tuition until you get your phd. sure a plumber can make more right away than a recent college graduate but definitely not as much as a newly minted phd.

Speaking as a newly minted Ph.D and looking to land a post graduate job, I would love to make what a plumber or electrician makes...

Don't get an advanced degree in the sciences if making money is your concern. The time and effort spent coupled with the years of lost experience/money making years isn't worth the degree. If you're doing it for the love of research, feeding your ego, or delaying adult-life, then by all means go for it.

i10casual

Reaction score
Engineering is tops, but very competative with other countries. The medical field is great right now at any level or position. An business degree in management has a lot of options and posibilities.
Auto mechanic, electrician, other trades are a great bet. Escpecially with Obama in office as he is pro-union.

The only real building the US will do right now has to do with military. Again that may be a good career if you get in after a college degree.
A big factor is your age and the amount of time and money you can spend.

I'm a factory manager. That is what I did with my BA in business. I'm doing very well in this economy. Things are starting to comeback from being made in china. Its not a glorious job but I'm no stuck in an office and every day is different.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Well im 24, have 40 credits general education credits done. I was looking at going into a state university, but am now thinking about finishing more credits at a community college as its about 1/2 the cost in tuition. I need to live on campus housing or with roommates, and am currently unemployed with low savings...

I'd be done with college, but I've been working the since I was 18 and kept putting off college to work more hours. I now want to get a degree, and since Im unemployed I don't have job holding me back right now.

Is accounting a safe bet for a job out of the University that pays wells, and will be enjoyable?

Is a Finance a good way to get into a profitable career?

Im looking at options...

Unlike the seeming majority of college students I seem to talk to, I don't have money or parents to fall back on for help...

I am considering the Military if I can't get this to work.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Any stories, or advice you might have, I'd love to read it!

Got any advice about choosing a student loan bank/company?

I heard that Sallie Mae is a company to avoid....

KenN

Reaction score
Compared to lawyers, doctors and people in finance, engineers have the lowest paying jobs (but the highest starting salary). In a major tech company, the engineering career path usually stops at the CTO level, while people with a finance or business degree can move much further up the ladder.

However, an engineer coupled with an additional skill set is a completely different story. Engineers with a background in business can accelerate up the corporate ladder much faster than someone without an engineering background. But most engineers that I know become engineers out of passion.

If you are unsure of what you want, then give engineering a try. But be forewarned, engineering is not for everyone. But completing the engineering degree can open up a whole world of career paths.

BASc + MBA = CEO? VP? Director?
BASc + JD = Patent lawyer
etc...

premo

Reaction score
I've got a year to go to finish my BASc in Computer Engineering and although I do good it's definitely not easy. And math is not the hard part, at all.

I'm looking to do an MEng afterwards in Clean Energy Engineering hoping to land myself a good job off the bat and eventually become a millionaire.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First thing that came to mind when seeing this thread was engineering; followed by accounting.

Originally Posted by Jenaimarr
Speaking as a newly minted Ph.D and looking to land a post graduate job, I would love to make what a plumber or electrician makes...

Speaking as a newly minted doctor looking forward to a minimum of 3 years of further schooling + another 2-3 if I decide to pursue a fellowship (all this at less than minimum wage when I count hours worked)...ditto...

Originally Posted by KenN
Compared to lawyers, doctors and people in finance, engineers have the lowest paying jobs (but the highest starting salary). In a major tech company, the engineering career path usually stops at the CTO level, while people with a finance or business degree can move much further up the ladder.

These both require years of further schooling and cost and, as I mentioned above it doesn't end there (for an M.D. at least).

Jenaimarr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Speaking as a newly minted doctor looking forward to a minimum of 3 years of further schooling + another 2-3 if I decide to pursue a fellowship (all this at less than minimum wage when I count hours worked)...ditto...

At least you have the expectation of a good income post-residency, which is not the case with Ph.D's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads