• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Praise of Trickers

Lawman

Reaction score
I have picked up three pairs of Trickers over the last several months. I have the Stow brogue boot, the Marlow pebble grain derby (1829 collection) and the Regent black calf captoe (1829 collection). The quality is amazing. The shoes have gorgeous channeled soles. The leather on the shoes is terrific. Creasing is almost non-existent with religious tree usage. As to the Marlows, the leather there is tough as ox hide. The only thing I can compare to it is baseball glove leather. It smells amazing, is thick and has a great leather smell.

I picked up the Trickers from Ebay UK for around $200 per pair, an incredible deal in my book.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did the same with a pair of James Loafers in Dark Brown Calf for only £50 couldnt believe it !! and they are abs superb im delighted with the quality ...easily on par with my C&J's !!!

LeicaLad

Reaction score
My latest pair of Acorn Bourton country shoes are simply wonderful.

I would really look forward to your serious comparison of your Trickers with your C&J and other shoes. I enjoy reading your posts and would love to read more of your direct shoe-to-shoe contrasts.

!!

marin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lawman
I picked up the Trickers from Ebay UK for around $200 per pair, an incredible deal in my book.
Congrats -- IME it is challenging to find good buys on Trickers on eBay, and I have ascribed this to the fact that the inventory is low because the domestic UK view of Trickers is so positive

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please add pics

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lawman
I have picked up three pairs of Trickers over the last several months. I have the Stow brogue boot, the Marlow pebble grain derby (1829 collection) and the Regent black calf captoe (1829 collection). The quality is amazing. The shoes have gorgeous channeled soles. The leather on the shoes is terrific. Creasing is almost non-existent with religious tree usage. As to the Marlows, the leather there is tough as ox hide. The only thing I can compare to it is baseball glove leather. It smells amazing, is thick and has a great leather smell.

I have the brown pebble grain Marlow as well. Very good shoe for the money.

I also picked up one of the contrast gore Lambourns.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marin
Congrats -- IME it is challenging to find good buys on Trickers on eBay, and I have ascribed this to the fact that the inventory is low because the domestic UK view of Trickers is so positive

Just contact David at the factory shop & let him know what you're looking for.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a Trickers for Ted Baker Stow boot well under $200 on Ebay and I like them a lot. That said, the sole is huge, they are too big for me to wear with most pants. Great with denim though.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one finding that Trickers are bit clunky and inelegant?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth

Not to sound snarky, but most Tricker's aren't aiming for elegant. They're known for rugged country shoes. Not to say their gunboats can't look good with elegant clothes -- sometimes, done right, the contrast can be pleasing.

Tricker's has some more streamlined offerings, but, were I in the market for a sleek bal, I'd probably lean toward another maker. But I'm glad Tricker's exists to fill its niche. For the most part, what Tricker's does, it does well.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth

This is the received wisdom on this forum, but I don't agree with this sentiment. The "clunky" description only applies to Trickers' country shoes; granted, their most famous line. I think the 1829 and Jeremyn Street collections are just as sleek and elegant as others of a similar price point (e.g., C&J benchgrade). If anything, they're better value for money because the manufacturing and leather quality is probably closer to C&J handgrade.

walneal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
This is the received wisdom on this forum, but I don't agree with this sentiment. The "clunky" description only applies to Trickers' country shoes; granted, their most famous line. I think the 1829 and Jeremyn Street collections are just as sleek and elegant as others of a similar price point (e.g., C&J benchgrade). If anything, they're better value for money because the manufacturing and leather quality is probably closer to C&J handgrade.

+1
some city collections of other members in the Shoe Pron thread speaks for themselves

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have physically handled the trickers kensington, and some other oxfords which I can't remember. I feel they are substantial but I did not find the last elegant. I have nothing against them. They make some of the best shoes for their market. I have even considered their 1829 and Jermyn street range ever since AS and Grenson no longer offer channelled soles on their highest end shoes but I just find their last, IMPE, to be less than my perception of what is ideal. I certainly have not accepted as gospel, the common forum wisdom that they are clunky, without first examining them myself.

soaped

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually just received a pair of Tricker's; nicely made and the last this one is on is quite nice. I am impressed.
tr1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads