or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Avoiding Looking too preppy...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Avoiding Looking too preppy...

post #1 of 45
Thread Starter 
Hi everyone. Ive reached an impasse in life. Im currently upgrading my wardrobe/life, wearing a tie to school ( university) several days a week, occasional dress pants and nice shoes etc. However, I dont want to look like the stereotypical rich boy prep. Im proud of my past of growing up under much different circumstances, and Id like to keep some of my older more masculine look. However, Im not sure how to do this. Other than simply wearing a black leather or denim jacket over my tie and dress shirts, how else can I dress nice but still come off with a bit of attitude or punkish look?
post #2 of 45
Facial tattoos.
post #3 of 45
Buy Slim Fit shirts and Milano fit trousers from Brooks Brothers.

Really edgy.
post #4 of 45
How 'bout a mohawk?
post #5 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
Facial tattoos.

close. the correct answer is to get sleeved.
post #6 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart View Post
close. the correct answer is to get sleeved.

Only get tattoos which can be covered, even when wearing a short-sleeved polo.

You wouldn't want to jeopardize future club memberships when your "edgy phase" wears off.
post #7 of 45
haha...Ive got several tattoos and recently had a mohawk.
post #8 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro View Post
Only get tattoos which can be covered, even when wearing a short-sleeved polo.

You wouldn't want to jeopardize future club memberships when your "edgy phase" wears off.


naw, you def need forearm tattoos. "Edge" should never be a phase, but a way of life.....and besides you shouldnt join any club that would actually have you as a member
post #9 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart View Post
naw, you def need forearm tattoos. "Edge" should never be a phase, but a way of life.....and besides you shouldnt join any club that would actually have you as a member


Who can say Groucho Marx isnt relative today......


Though I am interested in seeing how a real person would pull of an "edgy" leather jacket and tie combo. (Not GQ models....real people)
post #10 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.R. View Post
Though I am interested in seeing how a real person would pull of an "edgy" leather jacket and tie combo. (Not GQ models....real people)
that's the catch, very very few can....it's one of those "magazine" looks that seems cool on a full splash page with a model, pro lighting and styling/photography....but when the punters see it and go gaga and try to do it themself, it looks shit and contrived. but if you're a real person who looks like a GQ model, then knock yerself out
post #11 of 45
The prep look means Brooks Brothers/J.Press/Ralph Lauren clothes worn in a fuck-you way. (Unless you've been to prep school, you'll never learn to read the markers of preppy authenticity -- who's the real thing and who's just trying to look like one.)

Nothing about nice pants, dress shoes and a tie (a tie?) a couple of times a week equals the prep look. (To the contrary, in fact.) If anything, your look appears a bit precious and fake.
post #12 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart View Post
that's the catch, very very few can....it's one of those "magazine" looks that seems cool on a full splash page with a model, pro lighting and styling/photography....but when the punters see it and go gaga and try to do it themself, it looks shit and contrived.

I saw a brief TV clip of will.i.am (of all people, though he does have some serious flair at times) succeeding at it once

I initially thought this was a wmmk thread . If it was, I'd still post images from this Watanabe collection every time:



Ears - you have a decent scope for experimentation, I think. You can go with flat caps and trilbies; you can integrate Engineered Garments-style workwear in place of trad items; you can go with rolled-up trouser hems and a slouchy appearance as in the photo; you can experiment with colours and proportions; you could even go for a Harrington jacket in place of a leather jacket - it may appear a lot less self-conscious. And, off kilter as it sounds, you need to be able to project a sense of yourself (lifestyle, musical/sporting/cultural interests) into outfits to individualise them

You should also get into accessories - akin to my hat suggestion, you have the options of scarves, gloves and even pin badges (if non-childish ones actually exist, of course)

I have a whimsical approach to dressing, so I find it difficult to give advice, but this is my stock answer to altering and personalising an iconic smart look. Notice that I didn't get into the issue of "edge" - it's better to have personal expression rather than affecting a pose
post #13 of 45
Cut your collars off.
post #14 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro View Post
Buy Slim Fit shirts and Milano fit trousers from Brooks Brothers.

Really edgy.



I wish they had Milano fit shirts, though... (And i'm not talking about Black Fleece, but something at the Slim Fit price-point).
post #15 of 45
Andrew, I doubt your account will last long if your contributions do not extend beyond plugging your webstore.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Avoiding Looking too preppy...