or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Best products for fine hair??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best products for fine hair??

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Hey guys,
I've already searched the forums for answers to my questions and was unsuccessful, so I apologize if this topic is old. I'm 24 and have a full head of hair but my hair is fine so finding styling products is rather difficult. I have a medium length cut (about 4 inches max on top) and am trying for that messy style with separate pieces. My question is what hair products do you guys use for your fine hair? or would you recommend for my application?

Here are some products I've tried:
Tigi Bedhead Manipulator
American Crew classic wax pomade
Garnier Surfhair texturizing paste

I found that the Crew pomade is my favorite but no matter how little I use I find that my hair falls flat after about an hour. Looks GREAT at first though, couldn't be happier, but an hour later I find I have to redo my hair which obviously isn't easy. Any input you guys can give is greatly appreciated!

Here are a couple products I'm considering trying:
Jack Black Pomade
Redken Maneuver
Aveda Liquid Pomade
post #2 of 16
It depends on how long your hair is. I like Aveda Grooming Clay. Pull a dime size dab out with your index finger and put it in the palm of your other hand. Rub your hands together to get it heated up and then put it in your hair and style.

post #3 of 16
+1 on the Aveda Grooming Clay. I have fine hair and a small amount works great without making my hair look shiny.
post #4 of 16
yea aveda products are good, i use the styling stick.
post #5 of 16
+2 on Aveda grooming clay, keeps a good hold and it's matte finish doesn't make fine hair look shiny. To be honest, if you have fine hair pomade is about the last thing you want to use unless you're going for a shiny look.
post #6 of 16
Thanks for the tips guys.

I have exactly the same problem with fine hair. I'm now in the process of ordering some of the Aveda Grooming Clay.
post #7 of 16
You also might want to use a volumizing shampoo and conditioner. I use abba hair products. Their volumizing shampoo and conditioner really helps thin or limp hair.
post #8 of 16
I'd say KMS Hairplay. I'd also mention that how products work/react changes depending on factors such if your hair is dry, damp, or wet when applied. Experiment and you may find the same products give different results in everything from shine level, how much your hair blends vs groups, stays up or falls flat, etc
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Wow guys thanks alot for the all replies. I'll try the aveda grooming clay. I must say though that yes I am kind of looking for a shiny look. My hair is a dirty blonde and somehow the crew pomade's shineness brings out the natural variations in the color. Are there any products that hold like a clay but also have shine? Its weird that with 1,876,598 products for men, I seem to be asking for something that doesn't exist lol.
post #10 of 16
Just on the volumising shampoo; does it actually make a tangible difference?
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr27 View Post
Just on the volumising shampoo; does it actually make a tangible difference?

It actually does. I was really surprised when i 1st tried it on how much it thickened my hair! Again, they only product i have tried is abba pure performance. can't comment on other products.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
It actually does. I was really surprised when i 1st tried it on how much it thickened my hair! Again, they only product i have tried is abba pure performance. can't comment on other products.

Thanks for the tip. I'll order some and see how it goes.
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer2421 View Post
Hey guys,
I've already searched the forums for answers to my questions and was unsuccessful, so I apologize if this topic is old. I'm 24 and have a full head of hair but my hair is fine so finding styling products is rather difficult. I have a medium length cut (about 4 inches max on top) and am trying for that messy style with separate pieces. My question is what hair products do you guys use for your fine hair? or would you recommend for my application?

Here are some products I've tried:
Tigi Bedhead Manipulator
American Crew classic wax pomade
Garnier Surfhair texturizing paste

I found that the Crew pomade is my favorite but no matter how little I use I find that my hair falls flat after about an hour. Looks GREAT at first though, couldn't be happier, but an hour later I find I have to redo my hair which obviously isn't easy. Any input you guys can give is greatly appreciated!

Here are a couple products I'm considering trying:
Jack Black Pomade
Redken Maneuver
Aveda Liquid Pomade

I can understand your pain, I have many clients that deal with this issue. My answer, Sumotech by Bumble & Bumble, great hold (all day), not too heavy, perfect for the messy look or even a cleaner look, and it gives off the matted appearance. I have been using this product for several years (on my clients) and they keep coming back to purchase more, it works!
post #14 of 16
i've used the pink gatsby and sebastian xtah crude clay. gatsby dries too quickly and is too sticky when dry. it's hard to work with. sebastian can leave specks of white, makes the hair really dry, and doesn't provide a good hold. i've also tried american crew forming cream from my hairdresser. the ac forming gream is pretty similar to this stuff in the stickiness and look that it achieves. however, i think this stuff performs better because it maintains a proper hold for longer. i really like this product. the smell is great, it's not too hard to wash off, and it gives me exactly the look i want, which is matted, texturised, low shine.
post #15 of 16
johnsons and johnsons baby shampoo seems to work for me believe it or not
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Best products for fine hair??