• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most extreme cutaway collar?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw this on Crombie and thought "factory second" instantly because I never saw collar that actually was cut so wide it was inverted. Is this normal?

40006SHBS_1.JPG

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shirts.jpg

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty unusual, but I've seen similar collars a few times before.
The RLPL "Keaton" collar looks pretty similar, but is perhaps a little narrower albeit still very cut-away.
A few Italian houses make very cut-away, spread collars, too (a couple of shirts I've seen by Finamore spring to mind).

I must say that I really don't like the tie (although I know it's not yours) - the pattern's too bold and the knot's waaaay too big.

aging in rhythm

Reaction score
weren't these big in '03 or '04?

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoa, those are some serious cutaways!

The huge tie knot makes it look that much bigger.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
shirts.jpg

Does anyone actually wear collars like these? It's almost eric glennie proportions. Also, now that I look at the picture closer... where are the notches/peaks on the lapels... are they on his back?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Does anyone actually wear collars like these? It's almost eric glennie proportions. Also, now that I look at the picture closer... where are the notches/peaks on the lapels... are they on his back?

I think it's a vest with a shawl collar.

rs232

Reaction score
I think it looks fairly ridiculous. Additionally, you can't wear a pratt knot with that because the tie is exposed at the sides of the knot.

Falstaff

Reaction score
I like how the ad claims that the shirts "subtly frame" the face. Very subtle indeed.

flashkobalt

Reaction score
I love the extreme cutaways...perhaps a mistake, but I will confess to having all my recent mtm orders made in a similar style
peepwall[1].gif

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Udeshi collar had haunted me (in a very good way) for some time now. They are hard to come by in the States and the closest I have come is the Keaton. One day. And who cares if some tie shows on the side, I still do it with either a FIH or double FIH.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Crombie collars are not so extreme in 'real life'. I have a couple of they look great with the right tie knot.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
THey'd look great open collared.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
THey'd look great open collared.

That's it exactly. Don't wear cutaway collars of any sort with ties. But open collared, they have a nice stand to them.

That said, anyone with that UDESHI shirt needs to burn it with high heat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads