• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JoS. A. Bank - Quality/Contruction/Pricing Answers

mcmillin

Reaction score
Admission: I am a store manager for JoS. A. Bank.

Reason for post: I have seen SO much incorrect information about our products posted on this forum and would like to offer my services to answer questions with valid information. I know JoS. A. Bank is not very highly regarded on these pages, but a lot of what I have read is biased - if not completely incorrect.

If you have any questions about our quality, fit, styles, fabrics, construction, sales, etc...please do not hesitate to post back on this thread. I will gladly provide you with the factual product knowledge and try my best not to twist it (too much) with my opinion.
cheers.gif

Grenadier

Reaction score
Is it true that Jos Bank ties are made from Real Silk?

Closer

Reaction score
What makers does JAB use to manufacture the various lines of suits?

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by azlawstudent
Is it true that Jos Bank ties are made from Real Silk?

Yes. All of our ties are 100% silk (mostly Italian silk). There are 3 levels of quality - Our regular JoS. A. Bank line is all silk, lines with our logo fabric and most are hand-finished. Our Signature line is all Italian silk, self-tipped, and most are hand-sewn. Our Signature Gold line are all Italian silk, hand-sewn, and individually numbered in a limited series. You will see a number like 46/155 on the back of the tie. Only 155 of that style were manufactured. All Signature Gold styles are limited to <200.

DoubleDomer

Reaction score
i like jos a bank for certain items. i find their pants fit my body type well. the traveler shirts are workhorses although i readily opt for a lewin if one is clean and pressed. i find the suitings not as bad as some people here (with fatter wallets and trimmer body types). i DO however have an issue with their pricing practices. i think much of the ill will expressed by some forumites has to do with perceived value. in my opinion, jos a bank at full retail cannot compare with other brands at a similar price along similar criteria.
there is no question here. i just wanted to share my opinion and welcome you to the board.

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Closer
What makers does JAB use to manufacture the various lines of suits?

Since all of our suits are private label, we use workshops all over the world to manufacture our pieces. You won't find the same suit under another label anywhere. We usually try to source the best quality workroom we can find near the mill that is weaving the fabric to lower cost. You will find suits made in Brazil, Mexico, France, China, and Ecuador along with many others.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I owned a Jos Bank glen plaid suit which had the best pattern matching I have ever come across with the like. I actually won 2nd place in a pattern matching contest wearing that suit (crappy camera phone pics kept me from first).

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DoubleDomer
i like jos a bank for certain items. i find their pants fit my body type well. the traveler shirts are workhorses although i readily opt for a lewin if one is clean and pressed. i find the suitings not as bad as some people here (with fatter wallets and trimmer body types). i DO however have an issue with their pricing practices. i think much of the ill will expressed by some forumites has to do with perceived value. in my opinion, jos a bank at full retail cannot compare with other brands at a similar price along similar criteria.
there is no question here. i just wanted to share my opinion and welcome you to the board.

I understand the opinion of our pricing/sale structures. As far as quality vs. dollars go, though, the best comparison for our Signature line (our mid-range suits) is a Hart Schaffner Marx $795 suit. The price is identical as well as the materials and construction methods used. You will find ours discounted much more often, though.

pejsek

Reaction score
I know precisely almost nothing about JAB. My brother-in-law, however, wears almost nothing but top-of-the-line JAB suits. He's a partner and litigator at a top DC law firm and when he made partner he switched from HF to JAB. He doesn't really care about clothes--and he certainly doesn't care at all about the history of mens clothing--but he cares about propriety and professionalism and I must admit that wearing almost head-to-toe JAB (the shoes are Tyrhwhitt or something) he looks pretty good. He showed me his closet once and the suits were surprisingly good. It would be easy to do a lot worse.

Mr T

Reaction score
Can you do something about that man's voice on your never ending sales commercials? If I hear his enthusiastic voice one more time I may have a stroke.

Also, can I borrow your employee discount on a pair of AE cordovan?

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
Can you do something about that man's voice on your never ending sales commercials? If I hear his enthusiastic voice one more time I may have a stroke.

Also, can I borrow your employee discount on a pair of AE cordovan?

Believe me...all of our in-store associates are in agreement about the voice-over guy for the commercials. We make fun of him all the time, haha. JOOOSEPH! A! BANK!

As for the discount...Since the shoes we sell (Cole Haan, Johnston & Murphy, Allen Edmonds) are the only things in the store we don't make, they are also the only things we don't set prices for. CH and J&M offer our employees a once-a-year discount program, but I have never seen AE do the same, unfortunately.

Grenadier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcmillin
Yes. All of our ties are 100% silk (mostly Italian silk). There are 3 levels of quality - Our regular JoS. A. Bank line is all silk, lines with our logo fabric and most are hand-finished. Our Signature line is all Italian silk, self-tipped, and most are hand-sewn. Our Signature Gold line are all Italian silk, hand-sewn, and individually numbered in a limited series. You will see a number like 46/155 on the back of the tie. Only 155 of that style were manufactured. All Signature Gold styles are limited to <200.

I guess you've never heard of Real Silk...

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I owned a Jos Bank glen plaid suit which had the best pattern matching I have ever come across with the like. I actually won 2nd place in a pattern matching contest wearing that suit (crappy camera phone pics kept me from first).

I must admit I didn't know anything about pattern matching contests, but I'm glad you did so well, haha.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads