or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › is there any benefit to non-selvedge denim?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

is there any benefit to non-selvedge denim?

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 
like the title asks. Are there any benefits to denim that isnt selvedge?
post #2 of 32
it costs less
post #3 of 32
Serged outseams don't leave the long rash down your leg after a rainstorm like selvage does.
post #4 of 32
Generally non-selvedge denim tends to be lower in price... That's pretty much the only "benefit" i can think of. There are other characteristics such as no leg-twist, but i wouldn't assume that leg-twist would be a pro or con characteristic of non-selvedge denim.
post #5 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Money View Post
like the title asks. Are there any benefits to denim that isnt selvedge?

There are thousands of benefits of denim.

But I assume your poorly worded question is asking if non selvedge denim has any benefits ABOVE or BEYOND selvedge denim.

But no, selvedge is vastly superior. If you aren't wearing selvedge you might as well kill yourself and hope someone has the decency to come and piss on your stupid ass corpse.
post #6 of 32
It fades faster ( nudies).
post #7 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda View Post
But no, selvedge is vastly superior. If you aren't wearing selvedge you might as well kill yourself and hope someone has the decency to come and piss on your stupid ass corpse.

i just bought a pair of non-selvedge levis

welp
post #8 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda View Post
There are thousands of benefits of denim.

But I assume your poorly worded question is asking if non selvedge denim has any benefits ABOVE or BEYOND selvedge denim.

But no, selvedge is vastly superior. If you aren't wearing selvedge you might as well kill yourself and hope someone has the decency to come and piss on your stupid ass corpse.
I love your shit, but the mystique is kinds ruined by the fact that you came here as a nice dude offering gap coupons.
post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmmk View Post
I love your shit, but the mystique is kinds ruined by the fact that you came here as a nice dude offering gap coupons.

Yeah the fact I'm genuinely helpful often ruins my rants in real life too.

A friend the other night interrupted my tirade about how his girlfriend should slit her wrists with an old nail file because she watched real housewives to inform me I would make a lot better asshole if I hadn't just stopped the bartender from killing a lizard so that I could catch it and let it go outside. Fucking dick, the GF was just about to start crying.
post #10 of 32
The benefit about non-selvage denim is that I don't give a fuck if I lose it.
post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiya View Post
There are other characteristics such as no leg-twist, but i wouldn't assume that leg-twist would be a pro or con characteristic of non-selvedge denim.
i thought leg twist came from chain stitching of the hem. at least that's what i got from miz's new thread. is it selvedge if you chop off the selvedge?
post #12 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda View Post
There are thousands of benefits of denim.

But I assume your poorly worded question is asking if non selvedge denim has any benefits ABOVE or BEYOND selvedge denim.

But no, selvedge is vastly superior. If you aren't wearing selvedge you might as well kill yourself and hope someone has the decency to come and piss on your stupid ass corpse.

poorly worded? seems like most folks around here got the point.

get off the high horse nigga

(PS, ill take a Gap coupon)
post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
The benefit about non-selvage denim is that I don't give a fuck if I lose it.

I have spent well over half of the last ten years drunk off my ass and I can't say I lost a pair of pants. Do tell.
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post
i thought leg twist came from chain stitching of the hem. at least that's what i got from miz's new thread. is it selvedge if you chop off the selvedge?
I think "roping" (the twisting effect at the hem that resembles a rope) is the phenomenon caused, or at least enhanced, by chainstitching. I was under the impression that all jeans except those made of broken-twill denim are naturally prone to "leg twist" (where the legs twist clockwise or counter-clockwise depending on the direction of the twill), as it's simply the fabric's way of relieving tension in the weave. Although apparently it has mostly been eliminated in modern denim by "skewing" (if oki-ni's denim glossary is to be believed). And selvedge denim is still selvedge denim if you cut off the selvedge line, as long as it was produced with old-fashioned shuttle looms. There are jeans that are made of selvedge denim that do not retain the selvedge line (APC NC, for example).
post #15 of 32
I've lost several jeans, pants and shirts through various means. e.g. 1) Being hastily chased out of the apartment because boyfriend/ husband is coming home or parents are back (some I got back later, others are lost forever), 2) left in hotel wardrobe, hostels that sort of thing, nothing out of the ordinary.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › is there any benefit to non-selvedge denim?