• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know what? I'm REALLY lonely.

TyroneFig

Reaction score
Each year it wears on me like the effect of many miles of pavement on worn out shoes. I'm lonely as ****. No friends.. and what really makes me lonely is no girlfriend.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too am really lonely.

No girlfriend. No real friends.

I typically only get one phone call a week-- to go out and play pool.

My living circumstances are humiliating. I can't relax or concentrate. I feel like I've been separated from my own creativity, which is really the source of my identity.

How serious do you want me to get with this?

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I too am really lonely.

No girlfriend. No real friends.

I typically only get one phone call a week-- to go out and play pool.

My living circumstances are humiliating. I can't relax or concentrate. I feel like I've been separated from my own creativity, which is really the source of my identity.

i'll hang with you bro
frown.gif

Aperipan

Reaction score
Have you considered praying?

TyroneFig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aperipan
Have you considered praying?

Um no (were you serious?)

mgoose

Reaction score
Straight up, get a job at a resteraunt on weekends or something. I moved to a new city after university for work, didn't know anyone, and the job I was doing I worked pretty much on my own, only interacting with customers and delivery people and a couple of people under me, anyways I did it for 3 years and hated this city and my life.

Then my job ended, I picked up a stop gap job at a resteraunt, intending to do it for a few months until my place sold, and ended up having a great time and meeting great people.

If that's not your forte (I think the transition from sales to server was easy because of the similar skill sets) then find something that is where you are forced to interact with people on a weekly basis.

Anyways good luck man, I remember those friday and sat nights where i had nothing to do but hit the gym and rent a movie, it can get depressing.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ this sounds like good advice, clearly you have got to make a change. If you don't want a job join a club that does stuff you are interested in. Nothing will happen if you don't make it happen.

Aperipan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyroneFig
Um no (were you serious?)

Yes I'm serious. There was a time in my life where I don't get enough time by myself. People would harass me to no end and I'd secretly wished they would all go away, by natural or unnatural means. Personal relationships weren't all that great for me either. These days, many of my friends are moving on and besides work I do have enough time to enjoy my own companion, but it does get lonely sometimes. In these times, I usually turn to Da Man. It feels like you have someone to talk to. I think keeping some type of faith is always good.

Liam

Reaction score
Maybe volunteer your time, you'll meet new people and help others as well.
Chin up, wishing you better days!

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try expatriating. All the normal issues of time, where to meet people, etc, PLUS cultural differences, language barriers, possibly racism, etc.

It really helps the loneliness. What also really helps the loneliness is that in many foreign countries, the taxes on liquor are not as oppressive as in the US (I assume you're in the US and that is your home country). Thus it is cheaper to drink yourself into oblivion.

That is one reason why there is such a high failure rate for expats in biz.

Or, you can quit feeling sorry for yourself, realize that you can do something about it, go out and meet people, since you have two advantages: you speak the same language and you already know the culture.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda in the same boat. I moved to where I'm living now six months ago. Before that I had lived in the same place for my whole life, so I've never had to start over like this. It doesn't help that this place is a wasteland.
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Go on... This doesn't make sense, you seem like a cool person. Maybe it's the hair?
tongue.gif

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same here. I moved away from home two years ago, and all I have is school, some colleagues, and my girlfriend. Having a s/o helps, but she only moved here in the last year. The first year was torture. All I did on fri/sat night was some schoolwork and pound a few beers while watching a movie or listening to music.

My girlfriend's actually having a bigger problem with loneliness than me. Moving home after 8 years of school left her with few friends and the ones who remained have moved on with their lives. She's recently started taking a sewing class which has helped take up some of her abundant free time. She hasn't really made any good friends, but the human contact has helped.

As for myself, I'm finishing school soon and looking forward to actually having some free time. The question now is, where to go and how to meet people? I'm thinking a similar class might work (perhaps photography or some design class).

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn guys, seriously.

All of this is just mental blocks, kind of like in that thread about asking out a clerk in a store.

Here is your first assignment. Get a cup of coffee somewhere relatively not busy and strike up a conversation about something in the news. (I suggest coughing and saying "damn pig flu").

think about it logically. . . YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY LONELY PERSON DAMN IT!!!

That is right, other people want to meet people too.

I just realized I should charge money for motivational speaking.

From this point on, any more advice about this costs money. Please PM me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads