or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors - Page 62

post #916 of 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by stant62 View Post

LNC does machine buttonhole. I forgot how much but it should be less than $85.

good to know where are they in Chinatown exactly again?
post #917 of 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post

good to know where are they in Chinatown exactly again?

edit: never mind found it (it's the one below I assume)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/lnc-custom-tailor-new-york
post #918 of 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post

edit: never mind found it (it's the one below I assume)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/lnc-custom-tailor-new-york

and anyone got a sample of their machine button hole?
post #919 of 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post

and anyone got a sample of their machine button hole?

LNC typically has a couple of the bespoke suits / sport coats he's working on out in plain view.
post #920 of 960
Gents - first time poster here looking for a custom tuxedo shirt in NYC for my wedding next year. Was thinking of heading to Manolo Costa but looking for reccomendations. Appreciate it!
post #921 of 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidaninnyc View Post

Gents - first time poster here looking for a custom tuxedo shirt in NYC for my wedding next year. Was thinking of heading to Manolo Costa but looking for reccomendations. Appreciate it!

Had a great one made by CEGO earlier this year.
post #922 of 960

I just want to quickly post a positive review of CEGO here, I know it's pretty redundant at this point but it's a great place. I never really had anything made by a tailor before so I'm kind of a newbie, but I was sick of buying expensive dress shirts that don't fit and then paying even more to get them tailored. I'd end up with a shirt that isn't even exactly what I wanted, made in some sweatshop, altered mediocrely and still not fitting perfectly, and costing me like $130.

 

I decided I needed to just have a good white shirt so I went to CEGO a few weeks back, and even with relatively shorter notice than would have been safe for the event I needed them for, I was able to have two shirts made on time. Everyone there is really friendly, I have two white dress shirts that actually fit and fit my specifications across the board of what I want, and I didn't have to measure myself which I'd probably screw up.

 

Anyway, I'm going to be going back there this weekend I hope, to discuss a bunch of other shirts. I don't wear dress shirts on a regular basis so I am going to be looking to get some more casual shirts (as well as some more dress shirt basics) over the next few months.

post #923 of 960

Hi all,

 

I am looking for a tailor in NYC for simple alterations on a suit (arm length & pant length) and a pea coat (arm length). Due to the ease of what I am looking for, the cheaper and closer to Midtown or Upper East Side the better.

 

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

post #924 of 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by P12OFIT View Post
 

Hi all,

 

I am looking for a tailor in NYC for simple alterations on a suit (arm length & pant length) and a pea coat (arm length). Due to the ease of what I am looking for, the cheaper and closer to Midtown or Upper East Side the better.

 

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

I've been using Sam Wazin for tailoring lately and have been very happy with the results. I've had 2 sport coats and several pairs of pants altered by him. He's not cheap, but he's worth the price and he's on 57th st and 5th ave. 

post #925 of 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by P12OFIT View Post

Hi all,

I am looking for a tailor in NYC for simple alterations on a suit (arm length & pant length) and a pea coat (arm length). Due to the ease of what I am looking for, the cheaper and closer to Midtown or Upper East Side the better.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
I used to go to Bhambi's on 60th(?). Not the cheapest but they have done fine work when I had sleeves shortened (both from cuff but also from the shoulder).

Just got back to NYC and been away for a few years so I don't know how things are now.
post #926 of 960

It seems that most places I have found (via Yelp) charge between $40 and $60 just to shorten the sleeves of a suit jacket. This seems extremely expensive. 

post #927 of 960
NYC rents are extremely expensive
post #928 of 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by P12OFIT View Post

It seems that most places I have found (via Yelp) charge between $40 and $60 just to shorten the sleeves of a suit jacket. This seems extremely expensive. 

Does it need shortening from the top or bottom? does it need buttons moving?
post #929 of 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reeves View Post


Does it need shortening from the top or bottom? does it need buttons moving?

 

The suit, which is my primary concern at the moment, needs shortening from the bottom (at the wrist). It shouldn't need any buttons moved. I'd hate to spend $60 to shorten the sleeves and $20-$25 to hem the pants because at that point I might as well have taken the extra $80-$85 and bought a higher quality suit from Suit Supply (where tailoring rates are pretty reasonable).

post #930 of 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by P12OFIT View Post
 

 

The suit, which is my primary concern at the moment, needs shortening from the bottom (at the wrist). It shouldn't need any buttons moved. I'd hate to spend $60 to shorten the sleeves and $20-$25 to hem the pants because at that point I might as well have taken the extra $80-$85 and bought a higher quality suit from Suit Supply (where tailoring rates are pretty reasonable).

Just from my own experience with high and low cost suits: the price of the suit and the price of the alteration are mutually exclusive. Good alterations can make a cheap suit look great and a great suit look twice its price. I have a J Crew suit that I got on clearance + discount, etc (like how a JCrew do). The price of the alterations was was about the cost of the suit. It looks really great and better than the sum of its parts. However, I have a Billy Reid suit OTR  that got free alterations through the store's crappy tailor, and that suit has all sorts of fit problems and the hems in the pants are falling apart. It was a waste of money to *not* get good alterations.

 

So- short answer: just build the cost for the tailor into your price regardless of the suit you choose. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors