• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diet for Sedentary Lifestyle

Mr. Blue Tape

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for a diet that works with somebody who gets very little exercise. I have a condition known as compartment syndrome for which I'm having my second of two surgeries in a few weeks. It has taken three years to diagnoses correctly, and in that time I've been unable to run or walk any distance without intense pain. I've been quite inactive for the past three years, gaining roughly 25 pounds in that time. I'm currently 22 and weigh 187 at a height of 5' 6".

I would like to shed some pounds and remain healthy over the next three months of recovery. I'm not above counting calories and have while training for 5Ks in the past. I would appreciate any suggestions, comments, or books.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ask dr. what diet would be best. wouldn;t **** around with your macros. none of us are doctors

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i do know high fat/cholesterol diets have helped combat nerve damage for some people.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
After these surgeries are all done with and you have some time to heal from them, will you be able to diet and exercise like a healthy person?

Mr. Blue Tape

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
ask dr. what diet would be best. wouldn;t **** around with your macros. none of us are doctors

macros? I was hoping to devise a full eating plan for three months. I imagine my general practitioner is just going to say avoid too many calories, don't eat foods high in fat, etc. Should I find a nutritionist?

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
After these surgeries are all done with and you have some time to heal from them, will you be able to diet and exercise like a healthy person?

Of course, pre-injury I used to run about 40 miles a week. It's not like I eat horrible now. I think it's mainly a portion size thing.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why this is so complicated. To the OP: Use the following website to calculate your maintenance calorie needs. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm In the pulldown menu, choose the option for sedentary/no exercise. The calculator will give you a rough estimate of the number of calories your body will be burning. If you stay at or under this number, you will not gain wait or hopefully lose weight. Like all formulas, this is approximate, so adjust as you go along to ensure that you are under the limit. You will need to use a site like fitday.com to ensure that you are keeping track of your intake. Keep your fats relatively low, say no more than 25% of your calorie intake and ensure they are good fats - fish oils, natural peanut butter, nuts, etc. Good luck!

hi-val

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Tape
macros? I was hoping to devise a full eating plan for three months. I imagine my general practitioner is just going to say avoid too many calories, don't eat foods high in fat, etc. Should I find a nutritionist?
Find a dietitian. They're registered with the state and have medical training, where a nutritionist doesn't have to have any sort of education at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads