or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › General Bike Thread (Desiderata, questions, porn)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, questions, porn) - Page 136

post #2026 of 2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT Sriracha View Post

I'm transitioning from riding fixed gear and single speed for 6 years and looking into my first road bike. I set my budget around $1,500ish.

I've test rode some Cannondales (CAAD10, CAAD12) and Trek so far and like Cannondale's more. I have yet to try Specialized, Fuji, Felt, etc.

My local shops have 2015 CAAD10 105 for closeout around $1,200 and I'm also considering the CAAD12 105 or Ultegra groups.

Some questions:

Is there a huge difference in 105 and Ultegra?
Should I go with the closeout CAAD10 or splurge on the CAAD12?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

 

I think you should save your money and get the cheapest CAAD bike with 105 you can find, new or used as long as it's an 8 or better. The 10 speed stuff is more than fine. You're not going to be missing anything. That money will be better spent on other stuff that comes up. I have a CAAD9 which I bought with 105 and it would be as good today as it was then. It's really not a big deal as long as the bike fits!

If you can find a used one in good condition with 10 speed ultegra, then even better, but you have to know how to look things over and evaluate condition.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

I am so out of shape. 1st ride of the season (read: 1st ride in 2 years or so) and I was huffing and puffing like a 2 pack a day smoker. Average speed was slow, max speed was slow, average mile was slow and I was at the back almost the entire time. I kept pushing though and 25 miles later day 1 was over.

 

This is why I'm terrified of even going for a ride lol. I gotta suck it up and go soon. I'm looking forward to getting into what would even be remotely considered to be good cardio shape.

post #2027 of 2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

I am so out of shape. 1st ride of the season (read: 1st ride in 2 years or so) and I was huffing and puffing like a 2 pack a day smoker. Average speed was slow, max speed was slow, average mile was slow and I was at the back almost the entire time. I kept pushing though and 25 miles later day 1 was over.

The longest journey begins with a single step. Doing it is a victory.
post #2028 of 2048
Been raining since Wednesday and rain forecasted everyday until early next week so my next ride will be painful


sidenote:  I decided to go with Look pedals with 0° float and I am happy with them

ADEB8D1A-0ED4-4701-9BF9-50528A2E5968_zpsuvc8nj6i.jpg
Edited by Rumpelstiltskin - 4/28/16 at 8:39pm
post #2029 of 2048
I use the cheapo Nashbar Izoard pedals and cleats, which are Look Keo compatible and really like the platform a lot. Great power transfer.
post #2030 of 2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post

I use the cheapo Nashbar Izoard pedals and cleats, which are Look Keo compatible and really like the platform a lot. Great power transfer.

 

I agree plus no hotspots, even on my ancient riding shoes. On my mountain bike however I use eggbeater mallets.  

post #2031 of 2048
I took a ride in central park Saturday morning and holy crap am I out of shape. My better of two laps took 24 minutes. I did have to slow down in a few spots because of congestion since I got out later than I wanted, at 8:30 AM. Will need to work on it!
post #2032 of 2048

I think that it has sadly been long enough now... I have two 1984 trek's that I need to sell. 

I can't decide if I should take everything apart and sell it that way or just try to get rid of them as is, though I'd be totally unlikely to get a great price since they're pretty purpose designed bikes and the demographics wouldn't mesh... Maybe.

post #2033 of 2048

Decided to stop borrowing my buddy's spare bike and pick up an el cheapo for myself.  Here are the leading CL candidates for the week and their asking prices.  I'm leaning towards the Ganna and the Trek 5220 OCLV with the Specialized coming in at 3rd

 

 

 

Giant OCR3 - $300

 

00w0w_18R6VYLHNUy_1200x900.jpg

 

 

 

Ganna road bike.  7005 frame, 9 sp Campy Mirage brakes/shifters and derailleur, Veloce crank - $250 firm

 

00D0D_aJTJnbOhUJh_1200x900.jpg

 

 

 

Trek 1500 Discover Channel (2007?).  Ultegra crank,105 shifters/derailleurs, bontrager front wheel, rolf rear wheel - $400 (previously advertised for $500)

 

00m0m_c01pHgbbbom_1200x900.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

Specialized A1 MAX. 105 derailleurs/shifters, specialized crank - $300 obo

 

01212_iYMqX7fCkVR_1200x900.jpg

 

 

 

Trek 5220 OCLV carbon frame/fork. Ultegra, mavic wheels  $225

 

 

00D0D_1HaNi896Eju_1200x900.jpg

post #2034 of 2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT Sriracha View Post

I'm transitioning from riding fixed gear and single speed for 6 years and looking into my first road bike. I set my budget around $1,500ish.

I've test rode some Cannondales (CAAD10, CAAD12) and Trek so far and like Cannondale's more. I have yet to try Specialized, Fuji, Felt, etc.

My local shops have 2015 CAAD10 105 for closeout around $1,200 and I'm also considering the CAAD12 105 or Ultegra groups.

Some questions:

Is there a huge difference in 105 and Ultegra?
Should I go with the closeout CAAD10 or splurge on the CAAD12?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

CAAD12 is a terrific bike.

In the UK there's a £400 difference between Ultegra and 105 versions, I wouldn't spend the extra money personally
post #2035 of 2048
Stylish Gentlemen League at Road CC for the Tour de France ID 76574

http://fantasy.road.cc/
post #2036 of 2048
No one gives a damn but I picked up the Ganna (named for Luigi Ganna, first winner of the Giro d' Italia and only sold in Europe) this afternoon. 7005 frame, Dura Ace headset, 9 sp Campy Mirage brakes/shifters and derailleurs, Veloce crank, Selle Italia XO saddle and Alex DR15 wheels



20160711_161456_zpsnn5ievtc.jpg

20160706_191401_zps4j72rlsq.jpg

20160706_191336_zpsaxpqhkyk.jpg
Edited by Rumpelstiltskin - 7/12/16 at 7:59pm
post #2037 of 2048
I'd appreciate any recommendations on aero wheels for around 1k GBP.

I was looking at FFWD F4 240s and Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbons.

Any thoughts on those or something else I should consider?

Thanks.
post #2038 of 2048
Should mention, also looking at the Cosmic Pro Carbons, little heavier / not real carbon but at least I wouldn't have to swap over brake pads.
post #2039 of 2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian View Post

Should mention, also looking at the Cosmic Pro Carbons, little heavier / not real carbon but at least I wouldn't have to swap over brake pads.
If you are talking about these https://www.merlincycles.com/mavic-cosmic-carbone-sls-wts-wheels-pair-70640.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-AU&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=Bikes+%26+Frames&ucpo=22705&gclid=CPqMjLPd3c0CFQaXvQodHEEJMg then I run those on my bike. Like you said not real carbon and not exactly light, but stiff as hell and I haven't had to touch them in 3 years as far as trueing goes. I'm pretty big as far as cyclists go, 6"2 and 86kg and only just recently got the bearings re-greased when swapping the freehub changing from SRAM to Campy

.

Still, I must admit I'm dreaming of a pair of full carbon clinchers at the moment but having just built a new house it'll stay a dream for a while yet.
post #2040 of 2048
Nice ride, HC.

Frame looks sorta like a Trek Domane with a thicker toptube. Where's the frame from?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › General Bike Thread (Desiderata, questions, porn)