or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › General Bike Thread (Desiderata, questions, porn)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, questions, porn) - Page 91

post #1351 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicguy View Post

Is the frame too small? Look at all the spacers in the stem and how tall my seat is.

Yep too small.
post #1352 of 1749
Crap...
post #1353 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicguy View Post

Here's a terrible pic of the bike I'm having built. Just came in for sizing today. Click to see it bigger.

220

It's a Mosso frame 756TB7. Carbon fork, though not sure who makes it.

That's a lot of spacers. Probably more than recommended.
Easton lists a max of 5cm even for their forks with aluminum steerer tube.
http://www.eastoncycling.com/en-us/road/products/forks/performance/ec70-758
forks_itt_2.jpg
post #1354 of 1749
Thanks for the recs, I already have a steel frame Bianchi I'm just looking for something light and stiff (not Aluminum) which won't break the bank. Raw or brushed Ti looks pretty swell...

Been looking at used made in the US Ti frames (would not get a used carbon frame).
post #1355 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
That's a lot of spacers. Probably more than recommended.
Easton lists a max of 5cm even for their forks with aluminum steerer tube.
http://www.eastoncycling.com/en-us/road/products/forks/performance/ec70-758
forks_itt_2.jpg

Thanks for the info. Yeah, we're talking over 10cm. That's bad. I only figured this out when I got home. The center of gravity will be all messed up and I bet the bike will be uncomfortable.

I'm currently corresponding with the shop by email. Turns out they just bought the largest frame they could get in Chile without having to import anything. No, that doesn't work. This isn't going to work.

They offered to get a proper fitting frame, but it will cost extra due to import fees.

Considering they told me they would get the proper size frame when I first ordered from them (58), I offered to just call it a day and I'll buy the Trek 1.5 from them, which is only a 100 bucks more than this was going to be. I know there are 58 Trek 1.5s in Chile.
post #1356 of 1749
Slam That Stem recommends that you have no more than zero centimetres of spacers.

I endorse that message.
post #1357 of 1749
Nice, well I heard back from the store.

They're kinda busting my balls saying that they will lose some money on the frame, but honestly that's not my problem.

They're going to make well on the bike. They're going to look to see if anyone carries a frame in my size. If not, I'll just get the Trek 1.5. Honestly, I don't think the bike they're making was going to be any better than the Trek 1.5 anyway.
post #1358 of 1749
Shitty Alex Rim cracked on me while climbing a short hill the other day; face planted. What kind of rims do folks like for mainly city riding/some longer rides in the country??

I'm 190lbs and a little tough on wheels (potholes + riding with traffic). I have an Ultegra/Mavic Open Pro setup on one of my rides, which has served well. This set would be for my eighties Eddy Merckx w/ Campy - debating going campy hubs just to keep things on the up-and-up.
post #1359 of 1749
just stumbled upon this thread biggrin.gif

any have experience with the Shimano PD7900 carbon pedals?

I've seen retail fluctuate from $300-400 but the ebay specialists sell for around $200. Why not?
post #1360 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post

Thanks for the recs, I already have a steel frame Bianchi I'm just looking for something light and stiff (not Aluminum) which won't break the bank. Raw or brushed Ti looks pretty swell...
Been looking at used made in the US Ti frames (would not get a used carbon frame).

How much do you weigh? You are pretty tall, and Ti bits often have a pretty low weight limit. Of course, that's usually for things like pedal spindles where they can't be any bigger than the steel versions...but if you are looking at used Ti, it could be an issue with some makers (obviously if you had something made, you would just use thick enough tubes that everything went ok).
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxamaphone View Post

Shitty Alex Rim cracked on me while climbing a short hill the other day; face planted. What kind of rims do folks like for mainly city riding/some longer rides in the country??
I'm 190lbs and a little tough on wheels (potholes + riding with traffic). I have an Ultegra/Mavic Open Pro setup on one of my rides, which has served well. This set would be for my eighties Eddy Merckx w/ Campy - debating going campy hubs just to keep things on the up-and-up.

Velocity A23 if you don't want to spend a ton but want a sick rim. Unfortunately it might look a little modern on that 80s bike where you might want something like an Open Pro with eyelets...Open pro's not a bad rim at all. Go tubular and get some old GP4s?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianGP View Post

just stumbled upon this thread biggrin.gif
any have experience with the Shimano PD7900 carbon pedals?
I've seen retail fluctuate from $300-400 but the ebay specialists sell for around $200. Why not?

Time! The only really interesting shimano pedal is the newish XTR...
post #1361 of 1749
Just looked up that pedal - mighty nice! Though I've pulled the trigger already on the PD7900's before I actually posted lol

They're going on a 2010 Jamis Sonik that my bike shop managed to track down....hopefully picking up sometime by end of this week. Couldn't thank my bike shop enough as being new to the cycling scene, I almost bought the 2012 version - which turns out had 'less than stellar' parts on it than their earlier models AND 3lbs heavier!.... weird eh?

Will be whoring out the pics as soon as it gets here biggrin.gif



One of my few concerns with the Sonik are the wheels that come with it... American Classic Aero 420 - most of the reviews say they have quite a bit of flex and some do not recommend it for street. I'm coming in at 140 (I'm dropping back to 135) and this bike will be seeing alot of street until the DC velo opens up this fall.

I'll be swapping tires for the occasion, but are there any guys close to my weight with first hand experience with the AC aero 420's ?
post #1362 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post


Time! The only really interesting shimano pedal is the newish XTR...

I have Time i-Clic Carbons on my bikes. I like them better than the various Shimano pedals that I've tried, only thing I don't like is that the cleats wear out pretty quickly.
post #1363 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianGP View Post

Just looked up that pedal - mighty nice! Though I've pulled the trigger already on the PD7900's before I actually posted lol
They're going on a 2010 Jamis Sonik that my bike shop managed to track down....hopefully picking up sometime by end of this week. Couldn't thank my bike shop enough as being new to the cycling scene, I almost bought the 2012 version - which turns out had 'less than stellar' parts on it than their earlier models AND 3lbs heavier!.... weird eh?
Will be whoring out the pics as soon as it gets here biggrin.gif
One of my few concerns with the Sonik are the wheels that come with it... American Classic Aero 420 - most of the reviews say they have quite a bit of flex and some do not recommend it for street. I'm coming in at 140 (I'm dropping back to 135) and this bike will be seeing alot of street until the DC velo opens up this fall.
I'll be swapping tires for the occasion, but are there any guys close to my weight with first hand experience with the AC aero 420's ?

You shouldn't have a problem at your weight. They look like pretty sexy wheels actually.
post #1364 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

Time! The only really interesting shimano pedal is the newish XTR...

Out of curiosity, what is it about the XTRs that you find interesting? I have both (low level) SPD and Time ATAC. I just can't really see much difference between them. I can see the difference with, say, Crank Bros, since they would shed mud so much easier. But I guess I'm just not experienced enough to see the difference in most pedals.

Though, I find the Time's to be more difficult to clip into. And they're on my CX bike which is awfully inconvenient in a race (at least in my one so far).


b
post #1365 of 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianGP View Post

Just looked up that pedal - mighty nice! Though I've pulled the trigger already on the PD7900's before I actually posted lol

The XTRs and Time ATACs are mountainy type bike pedals, have know idea about why one wouldn't put them on a road bike except maybe weight and looks and not having roady shoes? Your Shimanos will look much better on your bike (this is style forum, right?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › General Bike Thread (Desiderata, questions, porn)