• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uniqlo Jeans

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got the UniQlo jeans, a Ring denim pair in a dark rinse, that j. sent. Thanks man.

The first thing that struck me was their cosmetic similarity to APC jeans. There some immediate differences The belt loops are marginally thicker, and the front pockets are more dropped than APC, and the rise is about an inch lower than the New Standards, which means that that the belt loops attach directly to the back yoke of the jeans, which I like. The fit is tighter at the waist and roomier in the thighs than the APC Standards. But the back pocket design is identical (or seem so, since I don't actually have my APCs on today, down to the (cosmetic stitching pattern) If you are looking for a bargain basement jean, they are terrific. You simply can't beat $30. Even at $60, you would be hard pressed to do much better, excepting discount stores, but that is an unfair comparison.

Why should one buy APCs in that case then, especially since they look so much alike. Well, first of all, the denim is not nearly as tightly woven as APCs, so they are not going to be as durable. Also, the stitching throughout is much looser and less even than APC, and the little details just aren't there. The inseam is not felled, and there is not the reinforced stitching at the outseam along the pockets (front and back) that there are on APC jeans (check yours to see what I mean. The APC stitching is light grey) the hardware is also not as high quality as APC hardware. So there are differences. Whether they matter to you is something you hae to decide. (And remember that APC is a rare exception - the quality of their jeans is in the same leaque as most players in the $180+ range, even at the new $120 price, they are a relative bargain compared to other premium brands.)

I will say that these jeans are not dismilar in quality to jeans 1.5 times the retail price Certainly, UniQlo is better than the GAP regular line, and about of the same quality as the 1969 jeans, which retail for $85+. They beat Meltin' Pot jeans (a brand I consider highly overrated and overpriced) by a wiide margin. I would say that they are not are well made as most premium jeans in terms of their stitching, etc... They are not quite as well made as The Levis Premium line, but are way ahead of the regular Levis line. I would say that they are as well made as the more expensive Wranglers found at "upscale" shops like Urban Outfitters. They are infinitely better made than the Urban Outfitters house brand BdG. Inifnitely. Not sure exactly where they stand with respect to Lucky, whose jeans are often hit and miss.

Whatever criticisms there might be though, they are definitely on the money.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Awesome, glad you like them. The Ring Denim pair are my favorites of the Uniqlos. I really like the sheen they have. Also, I doubt they will be as durable as the APCs, but I beat the living hell out of my pair for a week in Japan and another week or so here and they look fine, and aren't showing the short-fiber fraying you get with crappy Levis or Gap jeans, so I expect them to live quite a while. The one gripe I have is that the inseam is getting a bit short, but I will stretch them hard when I finally wash them again.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the short-fiber fraying you get with crappy Levis or Gap jeans

The unmistakeble sign of crappy denim.  This is why $30 Levis aren't worth even that.  They will wear out faster than Paris Hilton.

edit. BTW, how much inseam shrinkage will there be when I wash them? I was planning to get them hemmed this weekend.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know, because I stretched them when I washed them, like I always do. They came out about the same as before, with the stretching.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LA Guy - Do you know if the Wrangler line at Urban Outfitters and the Wrangler 47 line are the same? The site doesn't list them as a retailer, but the jeans looked similar at a glance.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How does one pronounce Uniqlo?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LA Guy - Do you know if the Wrangler line at Urban Outfitters and the Wrangler 47 line are the same? The site doesn't list them as a retailer, but the jeans looked similar at a glance.
No, completely different. The washes for the 47 line are much cleaner, and the denim used is "harder". The cuts are also significantly slimmer.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How does one pronounce Uniqlo?
"You-knee-klo" or if you are speaking Japanese "You-knee-kro". I'm guessing the name comes from some combo of "Unique" and "Low" as in low prices.

*edited, added "speaking" - didn't mean to sound like I'm making fun, I used the Japanese pronunciation when speaking to Japanese people, as in "Uniqro doko desu-ka" - "Where is Uniqlo?"

raley

Reaction score
Awesome assessment - I have a friend in Japan and I might just ask him to bring me back a pair when he comes back to Houston for the beginning of the fall semester in a couple of months. Just a quick question about the cut - is it a true straight leg, or a straight leg with a bit of a taper at the end, like the APCs, or something else altogether?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Awesome assessment - I have a friend in Japan and I might just ask him to bring me back a pair when he comes back to Houston for the beginning of the fall semester in a couple of months.  Just a quick question about the cut - is it a true straight leg, or a straight leg with a bit of a taper at the end, like the APCs, or something else altogether?
There is no taper at the bottom. I'll let LA Guy explain more. Personally, I wish I had brought back a couple more pairs of the Rings for myself, they are great jeans.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome assessment - I have a friend in Japan and I might just ask him to bring me back a pair when he comes back to Houston for the beginning of the fall semester in a couple of months.  Just a quick question about the cut - is it a true straight leg, or a straight leg with a bit of a taper at the end, like the APCs, or something else altogether?
Like the APC's - i.e. Euro-straightleg - fit is not unlike the Diesel Kratt, but more fitted.  The hem is wider than the  APC hem, but it also has a shorter inseam, and the body of the jean is also roomier.

(Current) Euro bootcut is (Current) American straightleg.  It's like futbol vs. football.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I wish I had brought back a couple more pairs of the Rings for myself, they are great jeans.
You only say that now that you have forgotten how much of a struggle lugging an entire suitcase full of jeans around Tokyo was...
smile.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
Can I place an order for Uniqlo jeans please, j? I'll take a pair of rings and a pair of selvages, 29x34 please.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Can I place an order for Uniqlo jeans please, j? I'll take a pair of rings and a pair of selvages, 29x34 please.
Gladly. That will be $800 for the first pair, and $30 for each additional.
biggrin.gif

Buster

Reaction score
Got mine today as well (Dry selvedge). They are awesome. Thanks j. And thanks LAG for the assessment: I had to explain to my wife why I used this "awkward" way to buy a pair of jeans.

Do I need to wash them before I hem them? Should I wear them for a while before?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads