or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Consequences when trying to avoid custom charges by indicating a lower value...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Consequences when trying to avoid custom charges by indicating a lower value...

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Hi all,

I frequently buy items over the internet from people outside the EU. When the value of the item is above €25 or so Dutch customs sometimes charges VAT and custom charges...

When I ask sellers to indicate the value is lower than what I actually paid this almost never seems a problem? And even when they open the parcel I think it would be quite difficult to accurately determine the value of clothing?

But are there any penalties for me or the seller when they suspect you intentionally provided false information about the value?

Thanks!
post #2 of 13
You can't use insurance over the declare value so if the package is lost well you only get say 20€ back.
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post
You can't use insurance over the declare value so if the package is lost well you only get say 20€ back.

That is true but most items are not that valuable and it really sucks to pay €35 custom charges when you bought a 80 USD pair of pants for example...

And I experienced that things rarely get lost, it is a calculated risk I think
post #4 of 13
aside from defrauding the federeal government?
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
aside from defrauding the federeal government?

No, I think that is just the part I am interested in Could you get a penalty and would it be the seller or the buyer who would be in trouble?

For instance, I ask the seller in the USA to indicate a value of 20 USD instead of 80 USD for the pants so I will not have to pay the custom charges here in The Netherlands?
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40kaas-nl View Post
No, I think that is just the part I am interested in Could you get a penalty and would it be the seller or the buyer who would be in trouble?

For instance, I ask the seller in the USA to indicate a value of 20 USD instead of 80 USD for the pants so I will not have to pay the custom charges here in The Netherlands?

if you ask the seller to put incorrect charges then you are defrauding your government. the chances or getting cought are pretty close to zero, so I wouldn't sweat it, but yes, you are breaking a law.
post #7 of 13
They can revise the value at customs but I doubt you'll have to pay a penalty, never seen it in any country I've received/sent packages but that's as far as I'm willing to go.
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
if you ask the seller to put incorrect charges then you are defrauding your government. the chances or getting cought are pretty close to zero, so I wouldn't sweat it, but yes, you are breaking a law.

I realize it would be defrauding the Dutch government but could the guy in the USA get in trouble doing this?
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40kaas-nl View Post
I realize it would be defrauding the Dutch government but could the guy in the USA get in trouble doing this?

Hypothetically.

I think the value of used stuff is only as much as you payed for them. So I think in an extreme case if the transaction is tracked, it is possible.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post
You can't use insurance over the declare value so if the package is lost well you only get say 20€ back.

that's not true...
UPS can insure an item for more than it's declared value.
post #11 of 13
^ so can royal mail.

K
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40kaas-nl View Post
I realize it would be defrauding the Dutch government but could the guy in the USA get in trouble doing this?

even less likely - essentially he isn't breaking a US law, he is breaking a dutch law. but, the US government could look at it unfavorably, because it shows a willingness to break laws, and could get him investigated for tax things.

we get requests all the time for this type of thing.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40kaas-nl View Post
I realize it would be defrauding the Dutch government but could the guy in the USA get in trouble doing this?

Worst case is that he would be snatched off the street and shipped to Guantanamo. It's not that common when you just understate the value. Marking it as a gift, however................
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Consequences when trying to avoid custom charges by indicating a lower value...