or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Corneliani V. Canali
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Corneliani V. Canali

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
They seem to be priced similarly. However, I have noticed Canali's going up in price.
post #2 of 29
This might draw flames but IMO Canali is a notch above Corneliani. I love Corneliani, but Canali suits, at a discount are one of my favorite buys. One of my nicest suits is a Canali dbl.-breasted 6 X 2 Navy pinstripe. The fabric blows away that on all my other suits, including a Chan and the other Canalis and Cornelianis, save for the Isaia, of course. I think the shoulders on Canali are more pronounced than those on Corneliani as well.
post #3 of 29
I agree with stu on this one. Canali's are better and can usually be found at a better discount (not making them better just cheaper). I think the fabric's are nicer but like you said Canali's are going up. In the last year i think they've gone from around 1150-1300 to 1350-1400 in the store that i work at.
post #4 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
I agree with stu on this one.  Canali's are better and can usually be found at a better discount (not making them better just cheaper).  I think the fabric's are nicer but like you said Canali's are going up.  In the last year i think they've gone from around 1150-1300 to 1350-1400 in the store that i work at.
Are you saying Canali is a better suit or it is a better buy. I was in a store and they both had the same style suit I wanted. Corneliani is 1095 and Canali was 1550. When not on sale is there really any difference?
post #5 of 29
I think that Canali is slightly more refined than Corneliani -- I think the lapels are pressed a bit better, for instance. But I like the Corneliani cut better. The difference is not worth $500 IMO. Maybe $50 or $100 at retail, assuming equivalent fabrics. I should note, however, that the Canali Exclusive that I bought for my dad to wear to my wedding (got it on sale at Bloomingdales for $250..) had hand-padded lapels -- something you tend to see only on Kiton and Brioni. Not sure if this is still the case though.
post #6 of 29
If they are simliar and you like both i would go with the corneliani just because of price. The canalis are going up a lot it seems. Me personally i love canali's products. But at the new price difference i would go with the corneliani. Canali's IMO are a little better but starting to lose value to cheaper price brands.
post #7 of 29
Not to be a bug, but... I pay a bit more for suits and, like magic, the fabric seems to hold up better.  Can and Cor make nice suits, but the fabric on the low 1000K suits leaves something to be desired.  My Canali sportcoat is a favorite but the fabric pills.  Zegna and Isaia of the same vintage are still like new.
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Quote:
(demeis @ June 16 2005,07:53) I agree with stu on this one.  Canali's are better and can usually be found at a better discount (not making them better just cheaper).  I think the fabric's are nicer but like you said Canali's are going up.  In the last year i think they've gone from around 1150-1300 to 1350-1400 in the store that i work at.
Are you saying Canali is a better suit or it is a better buy. I was in a store and they both had the same style suit I wanted. Corneliani is 1095 and Canali was 1550. When not on sale is there really any difference?
I don't think Canali is $400 better than Corneliani. But if you look around, you can find either on sale for $600 or less. At that price point, IMO, the Canali is the better suit.
post #9 of 29
In my opinion, Canali and Corneliani are sufficiently close in quality that the decision to buy one over the other should be based upon which cut fits you better.  Corneliani has softer shoulders and is cut closer to the body, and is better suited for the young and slim.
post #10 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
In my opinion, Canali and Corneliani are sufficiently close in quality that the decision to buy one over the other should be based upon which cut fits you better.  Corneliani has softer shoulders and is cut closer to the body, and is better suited for the young and slim.
It sounds like the Corneliani cut is closer to Zegna?
post #11 of 29
I've owned both. My Canali suits have never worn out. I'm still wearing Canali suits I bought in 1990. They still look good. I had two Corneliani suits. Both began to disintigrate after a couple of years (sewing came apart, suits began to lose shape, etc.) I ended up getting rid of them. Canali is the best ready to wear suit for the money, as far as I'm concerned. If I was going to spend more, I'd go bespoke.
post #12 of 29
Quote:
I've owned both.  My Canali suits have never worn out.  I'm still wearing Canali suits I bought in 1990.  They still look good.     I had two Corneliani suits.  Both began to disintigrate after a couple of years (sewing came apart, suits began to lose shape, etc.)  I ended up getting rid of them.   Canali is the best ready to wear suit for the money, as far as I'm concerned.  If I was going to spend more, I'd go bespoke.
Kai, What sort of fabric is used in your Canali suits and where do you purchase them? Thanks, John
post #13 of 29
Quote:
This might draw flames but IMO Canali is a notch above Corneliani. I love Corneliani, but Canali suits, at a discount are one of my favorite buys. One of my nicest suits is a Canali dbl.-breasted 6 X 2 Navy pinstripe. The fabric blows away that on all my other suits, including a Chan and the other Canalis and Cornelianis, save for the Isaia, of course. I think the shoulders on Canali are more pronounced than those on Corneliani as well.
How would you compare Chan with Canali in general? I know somebody (maybe you) posted that he thought they were pretty comparable. I don't own any Canali items except for neckties. I do have one Corneliani suit, which is nice, but I like my first Chan suit better...although maybe I'm prejudiced because the Corneliani was OTR and the Chan MTM. I note that when this topic has come up in the past, most respondents place Canali a notch or two above Corneliani.
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Quote:
(Stu @ June 16 2005,07:04) This might draw flames but IMO Canali is a notch above Corneliani. I love Corneliani, but Canali suits, at a discount are one of my favorite buys. One of my nicest suits is a Canali dbl.-breasted 6 X 2 Navy pinstripe. The fabric blows away that on all my other suits, including a Chan and the other Canalis and Cornelianis, save for the Isaia, of course. I think the shoulders on Canali are more pronounced than those on Corneliani as well.
How would you compare Chan with Canali in general? I know somebody (maybe you) posted that he thought they were pretty comparable. I don't own any Canali items except for neckties. I do have one Corneliani suit, which is nice, but I like my first Chan suit better...although maybe I'm prejudiced because the Corneliani was OTR and the Chan MTM. I note that when this topic has come up in the past, most respondents place Canali a notch or two above Corneliani.
Well as you know, Chan's chief advantage is if you are hard to fit in RTW. My Chan suit fits amazing, absolutely perfect. But I am a very easy to fit 42 R in RTW. With Canalis I just require a bit of sleeve shortening. And the fabric in my Canali suits blows away by a huge margin the LP120 fabric in my Chan suit. That said, I have yet to buy a Chan suit with a better fabric, which I intend to do soon. But then again, the price point of the Chan and most of my Canalis are similar, with the Canalis actually being a few bucks cheaper. So with Canali for a few bucks less I get an slightly inferior fit and a far superior cloth compared to Chan.
post #15 of 29
I don't like the cut of the Canali's - a little boxier with heavier shoulders than the Corneliani - I would go with the Corneliani. Panzer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Corneliani V. Canali