or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What's the best steak to order at a restaurant?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's the best steak to order at a restaurant?

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 
Im usually only ordered PrimeRib and it is always good. I tell myself I will explore, but that never works out. In terms of taste, and cut. What is the best type of steak to order? Is it the NY Strip Steak?
post #2 of 40
Overall I'd say the "best" steak is rib eye, in terms of flavor and tenderness etc. But it entirely depends on the restaurant. Lots of restaurants, even "good" steak places will ruin any steak you hand them. Personally, I usually end up buying sirloins, ribeyes or flank steaks (for multiple people) for grilling at home, and almost never order steaks in restaraunts anymore. I've been disappointed too many times and the cost isn't worth the risk.
post #3 of 40
Flammin' yawn.
post #4 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeF4 View Post
Flammin' yawn.

Hell no
post #5 of 40
The Ribeye is usually the best cut of meat. Ask your server, they should be able to tell you.
post #6 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
Hell no
What? you don't like 4oz cuts?
post #7 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeF4 View Post
What? you don't like 4oz cuts?



The best part about filet mignon at most restaurants is the bacon.
post #8 of 40
During college I waited tables at a very good steak house and conventional wisdom there was that true steak lovers eat rib eye or porterhouse, rare or medium rare. After trying every steak on the menu a number of times, I came to agree with this pronouncement. at home we buy rib eye, porterhouse, flank, and sirloin flap (marinated). Also, nothing wrong with a good, well-marbled chuck steak on the grill.
post #9 of 40
The RLPL steak.
post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
Hell no

So what's your choice? I'm a filet guy at most top end steak places (no bacon in sight). What should I be ordering instead?
post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano View Post
So what's your choice? I'm a filet guy at most top end steak places (no bacon in sight). What should I be ordering instead?

Changes from place to place. I generally don't order steak, though. I think that nicer restaurants do a lot more interesting food than the steak w/ sauce, starch, and veg standby. That said, for myself, I buy ribeye and sirloin. If I'm cooking for multiple people, I'll get a whole flank steak. If I go somewhere and there's Wagyu or Kobe, I'll order it regardless of cut. I had a kobe skirt once that was out of this world. Perfectly cooked, great accompaniments, great wine pairing, it was just a really great dish. After eating there, I applied for a job and am currently working there three nights a week .
post #12 of 40
see, i like filet at restaurants cause i'm perfectly happy with any bone-in steak that i grill myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
Hell no
post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
Changes from place to place. I generally don't order steak, though. I think that nicer restaurants do a lot more interesting food than the steak w/ sauce, starch, and veg standby. That said, for myself, I buy ribeye and sirloin. If I'm cooking for multiple people, I'll get a whole flank steak. If I go somewhere and there's Wagyu or Kobe, I'll order it regardless of cut. I had a kobe skirt once that was out of this world. Perfectly cooked, great accompaniments, great wine pairing, it was just a really great dish. After eating there, I applied for a job and am currently working there three nights a week .

I know. I've been reading the thread. Haven't been to Chicago in years, but if I get up there sometime I'm hoping you'll PM me the restaurant so I can try it out.
post #14 of 40
Porterhouse or ribeye are my cuts of choice for a steak house. I can finish a decent size ribeye by myself, but not a thick porterhouse, which is why I usually order a ribeye, or a NY strip if they don't have porterhouse.
post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano View Post
I know. I've been reading the thread. Haven't been to Chicago in years, but if I get up there sometime I'm hoping you'll PM me the restaurant so I can try it out.

Definitely!


I'll even make sure you get a free amuse.

































New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What's the best steak to order at a restaurant?