or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Sperry Topsiders
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sperry Topsiders - Page 3

post #31 of 66
I'm pushing 50 and have worn them on and off for 30 years. Mainly in the evenings, weekends and resorts and quite often with a beaten up madras belt. I had switched to some canvas alternates but I just blow through those way too quickly, much less than a season.

Rob
post #32 of 66
what about the chukkas? the ones jcrew had (cant find on site anymore) look pretty sick, id try to get a pair if I could find them
post #33 of 66
The BoO x Sperry Chukka's are one sales for 50% off on the Sperry website with a decent size selection left. And J. Crew still carries the Sperry Chukka's but they pull all of the decent shoes off the site during their 20% off "sales" (Alden, Sperry, Bass, SeaVees, etc.) Check back in a few days and they will all be back up.
post #34 of 66
I bought a pair of Sperry Topsiders last week. When I received, I looked at them for 30 seconds, grew disgusted and shipped them right back to Zappos. They really are terrible quality.

If you want a decent boat shoe, go to BB or AE.
post #35 of 66
I'm in my early 40s and I have worn Sperrys during the Summer for casual since high school.
post #36 of 66
I've been wearing them all my life - used to buy the rejects out of big bins at their factory in Connecticut for something like $12 when I was in high school - and always think of them more as a slipper than a shoe. They are insanely comfortable and Sperry offers a wide fitting for those of us who aren't a standard D-width

I think they go well with just about anything casual and the more beat up or brine soaked the better. Topsiders that get a lot of exposure to salt water will get much darker over time and I know a bunch of guys who purposely soak their in salt water and then wear them until dry the first time out as a method of breaking them in.

I never saw a colored version - navy, red, or multi- until I moved to Europe, but I have only worn the classic brown ones. I guess I think of the colored versions as more fashion-driven...

That said, I do have the canvas Striper in Navy - go to summer sneaker for anything that's non-athletic.
post #37 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by magogian12345 View Post
If you want a decent boat shoe, go to BB or AE.
Alden makes a decent one, too.
post #38 of 66
for some reason, in my high school people favored Sebago Docksiders ...
post #39 of 66
So what is the consensus on the best material?

Leather? Suede? Canvas?

I'm thinking of a getting a pair this summer... not sure what material to get. I'm looking for something breathable, durable, comfortable, can get wet, etc.

Also, what is sizing like? Obviously no socks possibly means sizing down, but how much? For instance, I'm generally 7.5 in most shoes. Should I go with 7 because of no socks? Stay 7.5 because they run small? 6.5 because they run large?
post #40 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc237 View Post
I'm sorry, but which item of clothing does not go with a hot blonde. I thought one of the advantages of the hot blonde as fashion accessory is that you could wear anything and it just would not matter at all.
I know it's spring in the Northern hemisphere, but down here it's Autumn.

Grey overcoat; dark blue pinstriped suit; scarf; knit cap... The outfit is crying out for a brunette in a trench coat, wearing a beret and reading French literature. Hot blonde is more ubiquitous in Spring/Summer as an accessory.

I think I can hear Gloria Steinem's teeth grinding...
post #41 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by magogian12345 View Post
I bought a pair of Sperry Topsiders last week. When I received, I looked at them for 30 seconds, grew disgusted and shipped them right back to Zappos. They really are terrible quality.

If you want a decent boat shoe, go to BB or AE.

For only $250 Sperry makes this limited edition junk:
LL
LL
post #42 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by magogian12345 View Post
I bought a pair of Sperry Topsiders last week. When I received, I looked at them for 30 seconds, grew disgusted and shipped them right back to Zappos. They really are terrible quality.

If you want a decent boat shoe, go to BB or AE.


Just out of curiosity... do you ever plan on wearing your boat shoes anywhere near an actual boat? I ask this because I own almost a dozen pairs of A/O's and I have yet to have a pair fall apart on me despite being constantly abused. Some of my pairs have seen 3-4 years of salt water, sweaty feet, the hot Florida sun, and they are still in what I would consider great shape. I don't quite understand your claim that they are terrible quality nor do I understand the justification for buying boat shoes from BB or AE that cost twice as much? I'm not trying to troll, but I am curious of the reasoning behind your conclusions.
post #43 of 66
Topsiders are a fantastic alternative to flipflops in pretty much every circumstance (except in the shower at the gym).
post #44 of 66
I'm a big fan of Topsiders. I'll wear them with jeans, khakis, or shorts - just about anything and everything. For an easy, versatile summer shoe, you can't beat them.
post #45 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles View Post
Just out of curiosity... do you ever plan on wearing your boat shoes anywhere near an actual boat? I ask this because I own almost a dozen pairs of A/O's and I have yet to have a pair fall apart on me despite being constantly abused. Some of my pairs have seen 3-4 years of salt water, sweaty feet, the hot Florida sun, and they are still in what I would consider great shape. I don't quite understand your claim that they are terrible quality nor do I understand the justification for buying boat shoes from BB or AE that cost twice as much? I'm not trying to troll, but I am curious of the reasoning behind your conclusions.

The quality of the leather is mediocre. The suede is terrible. The stitching isn't done well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Sperry Topsiders