• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Given all of the queries about manbags (totes, duffles, top-handled cases, messenger bags, backpacks, etc.), I thought a single, relatively comprehensive thread in which we could share the brands about which we have some knowledge might be useful and, over time, could develop quite well. It could be a companion to this thread, which has pictures: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=98796 Please add your favorites! FORMAT: To keep it organized, please list the brand name first (preferably underlined or bolded) along with pros and cons, so far as you see it. Critiques/counterarguments or other ideas could be quoted in subsequent posts by others. Also, try to give an idea of pricing for standard bags.

For example: The Famous/Infamous: Prada:: ($750-2000) PROS: Full men's collection each season, in addition to "standards" that fit every variety from messengers to totes to briefcases. Bags starting with "V" or "VA" in the model number usually from luggage or men's collections and generally better quality than others, with better hardware and leathers. Also follows seasonal trends and can often be obtained at discount. CONS: Absurd retail price and must-see-it-in-person quality variations. "Entry Level" items have very low quality and crappy hardware. As well, sometimes styling is garish with too many logos. Also MANY fakes floating around, so buying on ebay or discount locations NOT recommended unless you know the brand well. Avoid "LUNA ROSSA" like the Plague!!! FINAL VERDICT: Still one of my go-to brands; I've had probably 15-20 Prada bags since the mid 1990's.

Louis Vuitton ($1000 and up) Pros: Excellent construction and durability, for the most part. Leathers are good, canvases get better and softer over time. Also, if you have issues with the bags, they are generally good about fixing/replacing them for your. Cons: Retail price, which is dumb to the point of being a joke. Styling can be garish, especially with logos. Recent popularity has meant more bags being produced, which means there will be more "mistakes." Also, WAY too many fakes out there, so only buy from reputable sources. LV doesn't have regular sales, so a "NWT" bag that is 1/3 retail is almost assuredly fake. FINAL VERDICT: Too expensive, too "bling-y," too high-profile. Occasionally get a bag here and there, but not a "go-to" for me.

Gucci ($750-$2500) Pros: Some nice styles, sometimes, especially in the more "classic" areas and in older bags from Tom Ford's tenure. Cons: The new designer there makes really, really ugly ****. Quality is also quite low, in general, with top-tier prices. They make good stuff sometimes, though, but CAVEAT EMPTOR. FINAL VERDICT: I really don't even look at Gucci anymore, sadly. A/W 2004 was the last stuff I bought.
frown.gif

Hermes ($2500 and up) Pros: It's Hermes. It's superlative. You can't complain about anything, except that sometimes the styling can be dowdy.
wink.gif
Cons: You can't afford it. Sorry. Neither can I. Even on sale. FINAL VERDICT: When I marry a rich Baron who loves me and will give me an allowance of $150K per month, I'll buy Hermes.

Dior ($500-2000) Pros: Simple, dark, classic styling. I really like Dior styling, overall. Cons: Construction is usually really quite ******. My friend who used to work for Dior Japan never recommended to anyone in private that they buy Dior, if they planned to use it for longer than six months. This isn't an absolute, of course, but in general be wary as you may not get the use you'd expect from spending $1000 on a bag. FINAL VERDICT: I've been disappointed with the longevity of all 3 or 4 items I've owned. Won't make the same mistake again.

Fendi ($700-2500) Same pros/cons as Dior, though the styling can sometimes be garish to the point of making you go, "WtF?" FINAL VERDICT: Same as Dior.

Givenchy ($800-2500) PROS: Unique styling, good quality leathers and linings, under-the-radar logo that is distinctive, but not garish. CONS: Variability between items and insane retail prices. Some are made in France, Italy, and Spain (these are very nice). Others are made in Morocco, Turkey, and Eastern Europe (these are so-so). Finally, some are made in China (these are cheap and crappy, though priced absurdly high). Unfortunately, it is often hard to tell which is which at first glance. FINAL VERDICT: If you can handle/see the bag in person, often the items are beautiful. Ordering blind, though, can be VERY risky and not recommended. I also wouldn't order from Yoox, because they don't mark clearly which item comes from which line.

Salvatore Ferragamo: ($700-2500) Pros: Seasonal items, especially, are very low key, "sophisticated" without being boring. Large distribution network that lets you find them on sale OR easily repaired by them in the case of damage. Branding ranges, but often seasonal/runway items have very low-key logos. Cons: Hilarious retail price w/ sub-par hardware and materials for that retail. For $1500, you don't want crappy zippers or very thin lining or straps. GOOD on sale, not at retail. FINAL VERDICT: I can get them generally for good prices on sale, so I pick them up fairly regularly and use them for work.

Bottega Veneta $1000-and up. Pros: Beautiful, simple, relaxed styling with luxe leathers and materials. No overt logos and an overall understated, no-nonsense approach to design. Beautiful color pallete, too. Cons: expensive as hell, sometimes the quilting/patterns can go overboard. Sometimes leathers TOO soft/smooshy and so can be difficult to keep clean or in good shape, if you are rough of your bags. Overall assessment: I love BV and where Maier has taken the brand. If you can afford it, go for it. In addition to their famous "quilted" patterns, also check out their very sturdy and hardwearing "Marco Polo" line of luggage.

Coach ($400-1000) I see nothing to recommend, sadly, especially with the high pricepoint and abysmal construction and attention to detail. I wouldn't even put it on my list of brands to review, unless I happened to come across an older bag.

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I figure we know the "famous' brands like LV, Gucci, etc., so maybe a fewer others you might not consider: Aristolasia: ($250-900) Pros:Interesting leathers and fabric linings, made in Italy, nice styling that ranges from simple to ornate. Washed, worn treatments, decent leathers, and low-key branding that won't look like a brand whore. As well, fair pricing in comparison to other brands, especially when found on YOOX at discount. Cons: Styling can sometimes be a little too worn/washed, leathers sometimes delicate or damaged easily. Hardware is cheap-ish (small ykk zippers, so/so rivets, etc.) FINAL VERDICT: I returned or gave away the 3 Aristolasia bag I had, just because they didn't fit my style and were too worn and "smooshy." I would still, however, consider them again if I wanted that kind of bag. Lambertson Truex ($400-800) PROS: My favorite "Quality to Price" Ratio brand. Good leathers, simple styling, fair prices. Full men's collection of accessories. CONS: Going out of business! Made in China (though this isn't really a con because they pass on savings to customer). FINAL VERDICT: Won't be around much longer, but get what you can on discount and use it. EDIT 5/3: Just read that Tiffany & Co. bought Lambertson Truex, so hopefully it won't be going out of business! Jil Sander ($800-3000) Prada-owned Jil bags were basically top-end Prada bags with a Jil Sander logo. made in the same factories with same hardware, too. Simplified design, good leathers, good hardware. Current bags are made... I don't know where. A LOT more variety in the current seasons, but the styling is sometimes odd. Hardware and materials look cheaper to me than the older ones. FINAL VERDICT: I'm biased. I like the older stuff and it's been my "go to" brand for several years, but I do like that current Jil has a much larger accessories collection. It's up to you.
wink.gif
Furla Uomo ($400-900) PROS: They have an entire men's collection that follows seasonal trends. Relatively affordable, in comparison to other brands. Made in Italy, styling is often simple and no-nonsense, quite durable. CONS: Hardware and leathers often second-tier. Sometimes hard to find in the US. ******, no-value dollar makes the retail (in euros) go up to the point of hardly being affordable anymore. Miu Miu ($600-2000) Basically the same Pros/Cons as Prada (it's Prada's younger/cheaper sort of second-line), only the construction is generally not as good. Many bags made outside Italy, like Turkey, Morocco, etc. As well, styles can sometimes be weird to the point of being hideous. Pricing is often slightly less than Prada, but not much. NOTE: They recently suspended the men's line, so from 2008 on you probably won't find many Miu Miu manbags. Some of the older ones, though, are still floating around. FINAL VERDICT: Sometimes fun and quirky, sometimes weird and poorly made. Depends on your style whether it's worth it for you. Claudio Orciani ($300-1000) I really liked the styling, but the two bags I had used plasticky-feeling leathers and cheap hardware. Yoox is their official outlet for discounts, but I wasn't impressed even at the discounted price. At full retail... no way. Instead, I would go for Aristolasia (mentioned above) before Orciani, as they have a similar aesthetic style, but the Aristolasia seemed higher quality. FINAL VERDICT: I wouldn't, personally, but that's just me. There are others out there who do it better. Collection Privee ($800-2500) Like Aristolasia, Jas MB, and Orciani, one of the first to do the whole "washed/relaxed/luxe" aesthetic. Sort of goth-ninja-ish. Materials and leather have been very nice, in my experience, though sometimes TOO washed/worn styled and almost delicate feeling. Very expensive, but easily found on discount. FINAL VERDICT: If I were to go goth-ninja, I'd probably buy a lot more CP. Interesting aesthetic and brand, though sometimes odd. A.G. Spalding & Co. ($250-500) License from the Baseball Glove maker held by an Italian company. Not sold in the US; but you can find it easily abroad and on yoox for decent prices. Overall, nice stuff. Simple styling, decent hardware (fiocci snaps and such), full-grain leathers, for the most part. As well, nobody has heard of it here, so nobody will accost you about the brand when you walk down the street. Recommended especially for business/work bags. Cons: Styling sometimes boring and synthetic materials (nylons and such) have a cheaper feel. Stick to the leathers. FINAL VERDICT: Another under-the-radar go-to brand from Yoox. I have 4 or 5 things from them that I use weekly for work. Calvin Klein Collection ($1000-2500) PROS: Minimal styling, nice leathers and hardware, made in Italy, and durable. Everybody thinks this line is just the same-ole crappy CK, so you can usually find it on discount for next-to-nothing. As well, nobody bugs you about the bag, except that it's very nice. CONS: Hard to find. Distribution is very limited and so actually encountering a point of sale for the bags is tough (except outside NYC at the flagship). Very expensive (canvas totes run $1000 or more). FINAL VERDICT: No Complaints. If I lived in a place where I could get access to CK Collection more often, I'd have a lot more stuff. The 4 or 5 items I have now are all ones I use all the time. Marni ($800-2000) I'm just not a Marni fan, never have been. Styling is sometimes neat (sort of bohemian chic, relaxed, worn styling), but prices are hilariously absurd. $900 for an ecological leather tote bag or messenger? No thanks. Construction and hardware are decent, but again, not at their prices. I only recommend if you find it 90% off. FINAL VERDICT: Why would you even think of Marni? (lol) Just buy a bag from the Gap and sandpaper the hell out of it. Malo ($1000-3500) PROS: Nice leathers, simple styling, durable. Almost no branding/logos. CONS: Expensive, nobody has ever heard of it (just WHERE can you buy it?), sometimes aesthetic interests overtake ergonomics and create a completely useless, though beautiful, bag. FINAL VERDICT: I like it. It's cheaper than Valextra, but I find them to have a similar sort of vibe, albeit Valextra is higher quality. Holland & Holland ($800 and up) The gunmaker? YES, they have a full men's accessories line. PROS: Very manly/rugged, yet superlatively constructed. Nice canvasses, nice leathers, though not as "stuffy" as Brigg, Smythson, etc. Sort of like Filson, only for the Rolls-Royce crowd. CONS: Hard to find. As well, H&H has had some money troubles, so will they stay around? Styling can SOMETIMES be a little boring. FINAL VERDICT: I like my H&H items, though I don't use them all that much. Would definitely consider purchasing again, if I could find them more easily. Loewe ($1000 and up) Spanish brand, owned by LVMH. PROS: Beautiful leathers and styling, sort of like Bottega Veneta, but more Spanish (haha). Has a relaxed feel, like BV, though just slightly more classic/traditional. CONS: Unknown in the US, so really hard to find. Expensive. Sometimes styling is a bit overdone and garish. FINAL VERDICT: Beautiful stuff, well-made, under-the-radar. If you can afford it... what's not to like? Marc Jacobs (mainline) ($900-2000) PRIS: Simple styling, excellent construction and hardware. made in Italy. Follows seasonal trends, but always maintains a simple, relaxed sort of chic. Also makes a line of very low cost "special items" for his Marc by MJ stores that are fun and durable. CONS: Expensive, sometimes "too" simple/relaxed and looks like expensive GAP. Relatively hard to find, in comparison to his women's bags. FINAL VERDICT: I like MJ and find them to be very nice items, quality and price wise, when compared to his competition. Will update this post with more soon... going to breakfast now!

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Helmut Lang (1999-2005) ($600-1200) PROS: Nice construction and hardware, very Helmut-esque styling (minimal but with strange flare... like bondage straps!) Unique bags that were limited in production, so very few people will have them. CONS: Barely functional. All those straps flapping around, weird materials, sometimes ugly use of logos, sometimes decision to make an aesthetic statement over ANY attempt to make a bag you could actually carry. FINAL VERDICT: I've had probably 7-10 of these over the years (1997-2005), because I love Lang. I never could figure out the bags and sold, gave away, or returned ALL of them. They just NEVER worked right. Some were too big, some were too small, some had too many weird snaps/zips/etc. There was always ONE thing "off" about them that never made them work. Too bad, as I love Helmut.
frown.gif

Costume National ($700-2000) PROS: Interesting styling, fair construction, sometimes unique treatments to the bags and innovative colors. CONS: Weird use of logos, sometimes cheap zippers and plasticky leathers, strange pricing and distribution strategy (one bag will be $695, then another that looks just like it, but that has a snap instead of a zipper, will be $1095). FINAL VERDICT: With all the other brands making bags, I can't see why this one would be the one to get. I'd rather have Balenciaga.

Valentino ($1500 and up) (the accessories line is technically called Valentino Garavani) PROS: Love the styling. Romantic, luxurious, relaxed, yet somehow functional and simple. CONS: Very poor quality-to-price ratio. Hardware, linings, and many of the canvases, leathers used are not in line with the pricing (about $1495 for a nylon bag, $2495 and up for leather.) FINAL VERDICT: On sale, go for it. I love the styles, but I abhor the pricing and relative lack of concern for quality at a pricepoint that requires it.

Gianfranco FerrÃ
00a9.png
($1300 and up) Almost exactly the same sentiment as Valentino, only even more lack of concern with qualty-to-price ratio and a much less functional designs. Nevertheless, some of the seasonal styles are very unique (including bags made from exotic hides like walrus skin, alligator, or kangaroo).

Felisi ($500-1000) PROS: Nice, simple Italian brand that flies under the radar. "Mature" businesswear with a hint of flare (like a bright colored lining or trim. Decent construction and fair quality-to-value pricing. CONS: Sometimes boring, almost always hard to find outside Europe or Japan. Quality for some bags leaves you going 'meh.' FINAL VERDICT: I don't own any because their niche is filled with brands a LOT like it. BUT, I have nothing overtly negative to say, so if you run across some, I think it might be worth it.

Orobianco ($300-700) Basically same as Felisi, only less quality and lower pricing. As well, sometimes the styling is more "playful," which can also just mean plain dumb or ugly. I never see it in the US, but in Japan, you can't spit without hitting Felisi or Orobianco for day/work bags.

Valextra ($1500 and up) PROS: Beautiful leathers, simple styling, nice hardware. Very few negatives, except maybe the awful name, which sounds like a medication. CONS: VERY Expensive (though you can get it on sale relatively easily), styling is sometimes stodgy/boring. Range of products if fairly limited and colors/leathers depend on the season. FINAL VERDICT: Perhaps my favorite "go to" brand for top-tier, sophisticated men's work/business and travel accessories. I love them, especially in "Pergamena White."

Tumi ($250-900) PROS: Ballistic nylon that, along with cockroaches, will survive nuclear holocaust. Ergonomic designs that are as smartly functional as they are durable. CONS: Styles range from boring to downright hideous. Some are fair, some look like those dorky big laptop cases that the IT Officer at your office carries with a fanny-pack. Prices, too, are going up to the point where it is hardly a "good bargain." FINAL VERDICT: Use it for luggage if you travel a lot, but get something with a little more flare when you carry a manbag.

Samsonite Black Label ($350-1200) PROS: Huge range of styles, nice materials, very smart designs under an excellent creative director (Quentin Mackay). CONS: Some styles (like Tumi) are downright ugly. Made in China at sometimes made in Italy pricing. FINAL VERDICT: The "Resort" line is especially nice, as is the collabo with Alexander McQueen. Some of the others, though, no way.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Filson: $150-$800
Pros: Durable as all get out. 22 ounce waxed cotton canvas with bridle leather trims and brass hardware. Good classic designs - best for the classics like their duffles and field bags, which are reinforced at all the right spots (hey, they have a lot of experience here) but also well designed tweaked versions of their older designs for modern use (e.g. carry-ons and laptop cases). Made in Seattle.
Cons: Could use more colors - their are dozens of different models, but just 2 (and now three, with the addition of brown) colors. Both traditional colors are nice, but a limited to "rustic", which is a shame, since the bags are suitable for all sorts of environments.
Overall assessment: Good value for the aspiring hipster that will put you at one with the field and stream crowd. Good if actually you need to use a bag for more than your cell phone. I use mine all of the time.

Krane $300-$600
Pros: Very durable. Heavy waxed cotton canvas with leather trims and good hardware. The look is sort of a mix between workwear and military for an urban environment. Durable, and the straps are attached in interesting ways. The construction is considerably more "finished" than Filson, with full linings, etc... and the prices for analogous pieces show this. The designs are meant really for urban use (laptops, books, maybe gym clothes). Not widely distributed. Made in Canada. Good if you want a Filson type of product, but want to not look out of place taking it to the office.
Cons: Straps are a little uncomfortably thin for long term use, and the shoulder piece is not as comfortable as you'd want it.
Overall assessment: I certainly like the brand. The brand hits an awkward pricepoint though - too expensive for the impoverished, but not really a luxury item either. If it is between this and Jack Spade, though, I'd say that it beat Jack by a long shot.

Coming when I have time: Jack Spade (meh), Property of...(Meh), Billy Kirk (good)

TrailofTears

Reaction score
I'm not currently a manbag user, but have dabbled in the past and will in the future. Really, though, I just wanted to say that this is possibly the most usefully designed and organized "overview" post I've seen (and I've lurked for years before joining, so it's not just a new guy thing.) If there were one of these for denim (sort of like the best denim threads), there would be fifty thousand less dumb questions asked all over the place. Thanks, rach.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Engineered Garments: Made in the U.S. No idea who makes their totes and bags for them, but the materials, and hardware used are top notch. Only problem is that they're pricey for what you get.

Barbour: Classic English designs, good leathers and hardware though the fabric linings could be better. They're made in China, but I've had no quality control problems and would rate them higher than other mass market brands like Coach.

Rogues Gallery: A few good designs as far as totes go, but most of them tend to be kind of out there. Materials are good, and they're made in the U.S. Pro: They usually come with a cool little keychain. Con: They're expensive.

Porter: Famous Japanese company. Very well made. You have to see these in person to understand why they cost as much as they do though, otherwise they look like your regular generic nylon bag.

Best cheap tote bags: LL Bean, J.Crew.

Originally Posted by LA Guy
Coming when I have time: Jack Spade (meh), Property of...(Meh), Billy Kirk (good)
Would agree on the first two, I've seen some pretty mediocre Billy Kirk bags (including one I ordered online and promptly returned). The totes are fine, but the construction on some of the other models are pretty questionable.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Carga--New York-based enterprise that does industrial grey felt and leather bags. Interesting, minimalist styling that also ironically calls attention to itself. Limited runs made in the Argentine and all Fair-Trade and that business so the hipster contingent will be satisfied.

Very good service as one of their initial designs had a defect, which caused a rip in the felt--they sent another bag free of any charge. Durable and rather stylish with the satisfaction of snob appeal. Moderately high prices.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Porter: Famous Japanese company. Very well made. You have to see these in person to understand why they cost as much as they do though, otherwise they look like your regular generic nylon bag. .
Agreed. As well, Yoshida & Co, who produces Porter, has a HUGE range of products in every color, style, etc. that you can imagine. Going to a large Porter/Yoshida stockist in Japan or one of their main stores is really a treat. http://www.yoshidakaban.com/index.html They also aren't absurd in japan itself; 20-40,000 yen for most bags ($180-380 or thereabouts). Also, if anybody goes to Japan, also check out the bags at United Arrows, Beams, and Ships Muji ($20-60) PROS: Great, simple, no logo (that's what "muji" means), cheap stuff. Simple colors and patterns and very inexpensive. CONS: Construction is what you'd expect from a $25 bag. FINAL VERDICT: Do we have Muji in the US? I don't know, but I love it and if you go to Japan, be sure to visit one. Bree ($300-1000) http://www.bree.com/index.php?pid=2c&l=2 PROS: German company, started in 1970. Natural, untreated, full grain leathers that darken beautifully with age are their most famous, but now they have a huge range of products. Simple, no nonsense construction and style. Quite durable and longevity on older bags is very good. CONS: Expensive and sometimes ugly/boring styles. Sort of like a leather "Tumi." Manufacturing taking place all over, with varying levels of quality. FINAL VERDICT: For the right sort of style, Bree is nice. Not so much for me, though, especially given that there are so many good bag brands out there. Tod's ($700-1500) PROS: Durable with sturdy leathers and nylons, convenient/ergonomic styles, subtle detailing. CONS: Overly expensive, styling sometimes leaves a lot to be desired (sometimes boring), can be hard to find if not in a big city. Overall Assessment: Tod's would be my go-to source for "best" work bags, over something like Tumi or Piquadro. They are more expensive than Tumi, but they are also better looking and nicer all around. Bric's $250-700 Pros: Huge range of products and lines, makes almost every accessory from wallets to totes to suitcases. Prices often comparatively fair or decent quality-to-price ratio. Cons: Because of that huge range of products, some are downright hideous. Others are boring. Some of the leathers and materials leave something to be desired on some of the lines. Made in many places, including Italy, eastern Europe, China, etc. Overall Assessment: Excellent alternative to Piquadro or Tumi. Personally, I'd pick Samsonite Black Label, but Bric's makes does some nice work at a similar overall pricepoint. Barney's (House Brand) $400-900 PROS: Very simple styling with no or limited branding. Often decent leathers and canvasses and sometimes follow moderate seasonal trends. CONS: Quality isn't in line with the brands they mimic, but pricing is often higher than you'd expect from a "house brand." Also, quality varies by item... some are made in Italy, but others are made in China, South America, etc. Overall Assessment: It so varies by the item, but some of them can be decent. Nevertheless, given the competition and the pricepoint, I don't really see why this would be a "go to" unless you got it at their seasonal clearance. Alexander McQueen ($700-1500) PROS: Styling, styling, styling. Love them or hate them, they are always unique. Good leathers, linings, and hardware/zippers (owned by Gucci group and I assume using the same Italian facilities as other brands in the group?) CONS: Given that "Uniqueness," they sometimes aren't particularly versatile or useful. Expensive as hell. Hard to find. Overall Assessment: Each season he puts out two or three men's items and usually they are quite nice. If you were in the market for a $1500 designer bag with flare and distinction (and NOT to use everyday), then I'd definitely look into it. For a daily bag, though, I'd go elsewhere. Ermenegildo Zegna ($700-1500) Remind me a lot of Ferragamo. Overall the same sort of vibe, though slightly more conservative. Fewer styles that tend to be more business-oriented (briefcases, messengers, etc.) Quality and such are in line with Ferragamo, though honestly I find most Zegna items to be a little stodgy. Trussardi ($800-1500) Just started a new Trussardi 1911 line with Milan Vukimirovic that is very interesting, but the general "Trussardi" items are a little boring (for the most part). Quality is generally pretty good, though they have had some licenses here and there. Definitely check the items out in person before purchase (so, avoid Ebay, Yoox, etc. unless you can return them!) Hugo Boss $400-900 They make an almost complete men's accessories line, but I personally wouldn't seek it out intentionally. Styling may be okay on some, but the branding is often overt, the leathers, hardware, construction, linings, etc. are sub-par, and the prices are VERY high considering. Unless you find it 90% off, I'd say pass. Think of what they do with suits, and basically it's the same with their bags. Dunhill ($495-$5000) Pros: Full men's collection with numerous lines and styles. Simple, masculine, rugged designs w/ distinctive, but subtle, styling. Cons: Quality varies depending on line. Some top-end lines are very nice, other "entry level" lines are overpriced crap w/ cheap leathers, cheap hardware and zippers, and crappy synthetic linings that feel papery and gross. Overall assessment: Look at the item in person before purchase. Dunhill makes nice business accessories, but just because it says "Dunhill" doesn't mean it's great. Caveat Emptor. Tom Ford ($2000 and up) Stand by as I'll review them more after giving them a thorough going-over at the Tokyo Isetan later this month.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Would agree on the first two, I've seen some pretty mediocre Billy Kirk bags (including one I ordered online and promptly returned). The totes are fine, but the construction on some of the other models are pretty questionable.

Okay, you gotta give details on this, man. Don't tease.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Okay, you gotta give details on this, man. Don't tease.
The bag I had ordered was similar to this one (sorry, don't have a larger picture of it):

billykirk_hollander.jpg

The metal that was used on the inside of the bag for the opening was crappy and had rough sharp edges. The stitching for the leather bottom was also all over the place and was coming undone in several places. This was like 1.5 years ago though, so maybe they're better now. Some of the new game and utility bags do look nice though, and I might give the line another shot this fall.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
A.G. Spalding & Co. ($250-500)
License from the Baseball Glove maker held by an Italian company. Not sold in the US; but you can find it easily abroad and on yoox for decent prices.

I thought they had a store a small store in New York? Did I misread that somewhere?

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Warehouse/Dubbleworks has a few reasonably-priced bags ($200-250ish) that I've seen on Rakuten searches. I think I'm going to try one of those next and see what they're like.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any opinions on Mulberry?

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Carga--New York-based enterprise that does industrial grey felt and leather bags. Interesting, minimalist styling that also ironically calls attention to itself. Limited runs made in the Argentine and all Fair-Trade and that business so the hipster contingent will be satisfied.

Very good service as one of their initial designs had a defect, which caused a rip in the felt--they sent another bag free of any charge. Durable and rather stylish with the satisfaction of snob appeal. Moderately high prices.

Was about to post the same thing. I have had a Carga for about 2 years. Has held up really well to near daily use and at times severe abuse. Always gets compliments. Worth every penny.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads