or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014 - Page 183

post #2731 of 2807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

That's a nice looking bag @Austin Tremblay. Is the leather they use full grain? Great colorway.

I have mentioned it before in this thread, but the "need" for an optional shoulder strap is something I fight with. I feel like I could get by without it, but there are instances I can think of that would make me regret not having out. Travel being the big one. If I ever invested in a leather briefcase that didn't have a strap I think it would have to be perfect in every other regard.

Agreed that slip pockets are nice. My current Billy Kirk doesn't have one and I find myself wishing it was there.

Anyone in this thread have experience with LA PORTEGNA? No Man Walk's Alone is carrying the brand right now and seems to be one of the few US retailers doing so. The "Fat Carter" looks very nice to me with a lot of the details I have been wanting. Shoulder strap, slip pocket, organization, etc. Pricing seems reasonable too.

The Stephen Kenn is really, really nice. I think you nailed it; the reason I can overlook some of those simple "needs" I typically think of with a briefcase is that it is, absolutely, like someone ripped my own design aesthetic out of my head and crafted it for me. The comfort of the handles, the leather color, the contrast of the olive on the handles, the Riri zip, the olive, unlined interior. It's all just immaculate for me. I'm thinking about taking it to a local leather worker and seeing if he can sew a couple small D-rings onto it, right at the top of the back. That way, I could add a shoulder strap, if I wanted. 

 

I know their leather is veg tanned, but that's about it. Unfortunately, they don't specify, and I'd seen a sample of the leather and was already happy with it. I imagine it's 2–3 oz., "naked" cowhide, judging by the already broken in feel and the grain. Competition weight leather for bike riding is 3–4 oz. That's certainly thinner than Saddleback and Bexar Goods, but I just got to a point where I didn't feel like I needed a bag that was bombproof so much as useful and still tough. 

 

I have stared longingly at those LA PORTENGA bags often. They're quite beautiful. Hope someone can speak to their usage. 

post #2732 of 2807

I don't own any of the La Portegna bags but I'll be going to the No Man Walks Alone trunk show tomorrow and report on the bags. Also regretting my Filson zippered tote, it's functional but the straps can be a bit abrasive in the hand. :/

post #2733 of 2807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Tremblay View Post

I'm thinking about taking it to a local leather worker and seeing if he can sew a couple small D-rings onto it, right at the top of the back. That way, I could add a shoulder strap, if I wanted. 

I know their leather is veg tanned, but that's about it. Unfortunately, they don't specify, and I'd seen a sample of the leather and was already happy with it. I imagine it's 2–3 oz., "naked" cowhide, judging by the already broken in feel and the grain. Competition weight leather for bike riding is 3–4 oz. That's certainly thinner than Saddleback and Bexar Goods, but I just got to a point where I didn't feel like I needed a bag that was bombproof so much as useful and still tough. 

Curious if getting the d-rings added would be possible. Never heard of someone doing that aftermarket on a bag.

Agree on the "bombproof" thing. Unless the bag is poorly made, I am not sure you really need one of these heavy duty ones to survive a lifetime of normal wear and tear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolron View Post

I don't own any of the La Portegna bags but I'll be going to the No Man Walks Alone trunk show tomorrow and report on the bags. Also regretting my Filson zippered tote, it's functional but the straps can be a bit abrasive in the hand. :/

Please do. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
post #2734 of 2807
I believe Coach is currently having a 25% off "preferred customer event"; they have some nice, basic leather styles that are well made and reasonably priced with the discount.
post #2735 of 2807
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerValet View Post

I believe Coach is currently having a 25% off "preferred customer event"; they have some nice, basic leather styles that are well made and reasonably priced with the discount.

I agree that their designs are often nice. I could even say the same for Fossil, at times. But I can't endorse sweatshop labor by buying from them. 

post #2736 of 2807
Checked out the leather Fat Carter from La Portegna at NMWA's trunk show. The leather was good quality and the bag was very well made. The inside has a cotton lining with leather trim. The zippers were sturdy but not the smoothest out there, just a minor nitpick. I was favorably impressed, the bag was also on the lighter side as far as briefcases go. Also, the veg tanned leather felt like it would pick up a beautiful patina fairly quickly.
post #2737 of 2807
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogili222 View Post


I got a response from Bexar Goods that the Hudson is going to be around 4 lbs and the Porter is around 5 lbs. I currently have a medium classic briefcase from Saddleback and that thing is heavy at 6.6 lbs empty and even though the bag is big, I cannot fit a lot of stuff in there due to how it is built. 

I actually like the styling of the Bexar goods bags and since these are made of bridle leather, should be very good and age beautifully.  

I wonder what the weight of the Porter Slim is. I emailed them but they never responded. That might make a really nice, lighter option.
post #2738 of 2807
Anyone with experience with Cleverley? Debating a leather folio in either Navy or Green
post #2739 of 2807

I was wondering if anyone have experience with Oppermann or APC leather bags/goods? Thank you.

post #2740 of 2807

Anyone have experience with MMM canvas bags? Thanks.

post #2741 of 2807
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

Anyone with experience with Cleverley? Debating a leather folio in either Navy or Green

Picked the green one up, very nice leather and sized perfect for 13" MacBook Air

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)





post #2742 of 2807
New Natural Dyed fabric/leather Weekender bags

Ivory


Wine


More colors and styles here.
post #2743 of 2807

 

 

Anyone who can help me identify this bag? Sorry for the bad quality...

post #2744 of 2807
I need a simple elegant black/Navy briefcase ala IISE, does anyone here have any first hand experience with this piece. Other suggestions welcome, provided it's along the same price-point, not made in China, not Filson, Coach, et al....Thanks!


Ps. I might be open to spend a few hundred more as well, just depends on style/quality.
post #2745 of 2807
Can anyone recommend an all leather, minimal, tote bag that has a zipper closure and handles with not too much of a drop?

Ideally sub $500, would go higher for the right piece since it's something I hope to get a lot of use out of.
(ideal use is for work, overnights, shopping, pretty much anything/anywhere)

thanks in advance
Edited by zazaza - 6/11/14 at 7:08pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014