or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Phil Jackson's going back to the Lakers!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Phil Jackson's going back to the Lakers!

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
No details yet, but sports radio just broke in with an announcement from the team. I can't imagine (other than bags and bags full of money and Jerry Buss' daughter) why he'd go back. And after reading Jackson's book, I can't imagine Kobe would want him.
post #2 of 14
Who cares.?.? The Sonics are still gonna pound on them, just to get revenge for Ice Cube's Today Was A Good Day Left my homey's house paid, Picked up a girl been tryin' to do since the twelfth grade, It's ironic, I had the brew, she had the chronic, The Lakers beat the Supersonics. Woke her up around one, She didn't hesitate to call Ice Cube the top gun. Damn you Cube....Damn you...
post #3 of 14
they'll be champs again within 3 years.
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Who cares.?.? The Sonics are still gonna pound on them, just to get revenge for Ice Cube's Today Was A Good Day Left my homey's house paid, Picked up a girl been tryin' to do since the twelfth grade, It's ironic, I had the brew, she had the chronic, The Lakers beat the Supersonics. Woke her up around one, She didn't hesitate to call Ice Cube the top gun. Damn you Cube....Damn you...
In all fairness to Cube, that rap was from when the Lakers, well...sucked (and the heyday of Payton/Kemp). koji
post #5 of 14
Screw you Tokyo. Besides, how many Japanese NBA stars are there. I'll tell y ou how many Chinese stars there are. One. Hah. Like it the lamb.
post #6 of 14
I'm a LONG time Lakers fan (the first game I saw live was at the Sports Arena against the Chamberlain-led Warriors). I was upset with PJ when I learned of his nixing a deal that would have sent Stromile Swift to LA and gotten rid of Devean. West wanted Swift; PJ didn't. This and other acts of his helped drive West away. That signaled their downfall. I question his "genius." I'm not so sure he's the answer. But, he's back. And, what other reasons does one need besides $10M?. Having said that I STILL think: PJ >>>>>>>>>>> A******h.
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Screw you Tokyo. Besides, how many Japanese NBA stars are there. I'll tell y ou how many Chinese stars there are. One. Hah. Like it the lamb.
Us Japs don't need to play basketball to get rich. We are good at math and building cars and crap. Plus, Ichiro goddamn it. Ichiro. I hope Kobe Bryant cheats on his wife with a man. An ugly man. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Besides cheating on his wife, I mean.
post #8 of 14
Jordan had his Pippen. Kobe had his Shaq. Kobe now needs a solid sidekick. I see this being a 4 or 5 year project to return the Lakers to the top and I don't think Phil will stay that long. He wnats that 10th ring asap.
post #9 of 14
Rewind to the Garnett/Lakers rumors... Eric
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Jordan had his Pippen. Kobe had his Shaq. Kobe now needs a solid sidekick. I see this being a 4 or 5 year project to return the Lakers to the top and I don't think Phil will stay that long. He wnats that 10th ring asap.
Dude... where have you been? Kobe IS the sidekick
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Rewind to the Garnett/Lakers rumors... Eric
Impossible. The Lakers do not have the cap space for the next few years. I'm a Laker fans and all that, but I question whether or not Phil Jackson is the right coach. He specializes in taking teams to the championship. A coach like Larry Brown would have been better. The most we can ask for is that the Lakers do well enough in the next few years that they can attract some FAs when they finally get enough cap space cleared.
post #12 of 14
koji, when did the lakers suck? okay, they had ONE year when they didn't make the playoffs, but beside that, they've always had a solid team even if they weren't champs. i agree phil jackson is overrated. also there were rumours of a few good deals that were vetoed by phil or shaq, such as when they were going to sign bobby jackson. the lakers need a new gm. as far as the salary cap, that's not an issue because they are overpaying all their guys right now and could easily release a few without weakening the team. brian grant is making like $13m. deavan george is making about that much too. both of them are useless. within 3 years we'll have kobe, lamar, and yao in our starting line-up. we'll have trimmed the fat on the roster and the lakers will be champs. mitch kupchak needs to go.
post #13 of 14
Quote:
as far as the salary cap, that's not an issue because they are overpaying all their guys right now and could easily release a few without weakening the team. brian grant is making like $13m. deavan george is making about that much too. both of them are useless.
this isn't football where you can cut people and not pay them or force them to renegotiate their contract. if you sign somebody to a long term contract like the one we're saddled with brian grant, you have to pay them that amount. at the same time, it limits your option since every team has a cap as to how much they can pay their players. the best you can hope to do is to trade away those players. but, who would be stupid enough to want brian grant's contract. D'oh.. i know mavericks are in the same conference, but we really should have traded shaq to the mavericks. they've got such a stockpile of talent. next season we'll see how calm the zen master can be without a championship ready team at his disposal. somebody like larry brown and pat riley are true coaches. they've coached according to what players they have. riley went from showtime with the lakers to the thuggery of the knicks. will phil jackson be able to do the same, or will he insist on using the triangle offense despite not having the players for that system?
post #14 of 14
Well, they might have some time to think about it with another lockout right around the corner. Eric
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Phil Jackson's going back to the Lakers!