• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are some classes everyone should take in college?

Aperipan

Reaction score
What random courses you took which have proved to be useful later on?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As much as I hated taking them, I would suggest registering for a few English classes before graduating.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aperipan
What random courses you took which have proved to be useful later on?

Impact of feminist thought in the 20th century.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire

This course can be summed up in one word: minimal.

Aperipan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire

Care to explain how this has proved "useful"? Thanks.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I had taken more Philosophy. I have found that all the hardest classes with the most involved Profs were the most useful in life -- because they expanded and made more elastic my ways of thinking. Aesthetics was incredible. The sciences -- physics and chemistry -- are peerless in helping you to understand the physical whys. Public speaking has been very useful. Calculus I is the most useful math class from an 'aha' this is why standpoint. A good Western Civ class can be incredibly elightening but they seem to becoming more rare. History is essential for you to understand where you've been. Remember, learning is as much about process as product. The courses in which you have to fight your own mind and push yourself out of your comfort zone will always be the best. This, typically, will be a function of the Prof -- and frankly, you;ll never have the best of experiences with cakewalk Profs, nor with hardened curmudgeons, either. Find the ones with spark -- their rate-a-prof pages will usually have only strongly negative and strongly positive comments. ~ H

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
As much as I hated taking them, I would suggest registering for a few English classes before graduating.
Missed this. I was a great writer going into college, and balked at the Eng Comp I class -- what an arrogant little idiot I was then. I learned so much. You rule, Mrs. McP! ~ H

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took an English class that focused on critical thinking, which was very good. It taught about persuasive writing, logical fallacies, that kind of thing. But the biggest lesson learned in that class was how many people, after a semester-long class, still didn't get it
facepalm.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
This course can be summed up in one word: minimal.

You could not be more wrong.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flashback
economics
logic
poli sci

+ 1. I would add basic math and physics classes to that too.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with one of the above, something along the lines of philosophy, or law/contracts, or english writing, etc. the subject matter is actually less important then the process you'll be learning. Basically, how arguments are constructed and how to reason and think critically. Very practical.

I personally found a course on human sexuality also very fascinating.

if it's available - I took a course along the lines of career management, covering everything from resumes and interviews, to (and most importantly) how to manage your career, deal with bosses, coworkers, etc.

Most of university is 80-20. You'll forget a lot of the knowledge but remember the process. A few things'll stick out and you'll use them again and again but most stuff you'll jsut forget.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I personally found a course on human sexuality also very fascinating.
I took a class like that offered by the psychology department and enjoyed it. A female friend of mine sat in the class once, though, and hated it. She observed the class in the middle of the semester, though, so I think she was shocked by how explicit the lectures and discussions were, whereas the rest us of were comfortable with them by then. Or maybe she was just a prude. Then again, the professor, a Japanese lady in her 30-40's, frequently made jerking-off gestures (sometimes with sound effects).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads