• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I've been trying to lose weight for months with little success

GITU

Reaction score
I've been trying to lose weight for the past four months. I currently weigh 275 pounds and am 6'2". My top weight was 290 a year ago. I'm not having much luck recently, I've been stuck between 275-280 for two months now.

I feel - at my weight - I should be losing more, faster. I cycle 3-4 miles a day, and play tennis for about two hours a day 5 days a week. I don't eat junk food, and guessing my calorie intake, it's around 2'500 calories a day.

I LOATHE lifting weights but love plyometrics and I do these 3-4 times a week. I won't go swimming because of my weight.

Can someone offer advice?

Thanks.

GITU

Reaction score
Do you have any suggestions for getting motivation to work out? I'm starting to lose it - I had it when I was losing weight but staying stagnant really hurts your morale.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
stop guessing and carefully calculate your intake.

do nepa (non-exercise physical activity) like light walking whenever you can.

have your thyroid checked.

get used ti the idea of lifting weights or engaging in more challenging bodyweight exercises.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
^Definitely.
I've lost about 50 pounds in the last ~8 months. I worked out pretty hard between cardio and bw exercises, plus get a ton of nepa. Until I got my diet in order, the weight came off very slowly. Once I got the diet in order, I was losing 2-2.5 lbs a week on average. It all starts in the kitchen.

GITU

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
^Definitely.
I've lost about 50 pounds in the last ~8 months. I worked out pretty hard between cardio and bw exercises, plus get a ton of nepa. Until I got my diet in order, the weight came off very slowly. Once I got the diet in order, I was losing 2-2.5 lbs a week on average. It all starts in the kitchen.

What type of body weight exercises were you doing? Were you lifting weights?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
about 2-2.5/week is the healthiest target.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GITU
What type of body weight exercises were you doing? Were you lifting weights?

Kunk gave me a nice starter workout that I used. I'll share it, since I doubt he minds. If he does, i'll edit it out and pm it to you.

Day 1 Chest/bi/core
3 sets of side planks, try for :30 per side
3 sets of leg raises on a dip station or rope crunches
3 sets of barbell bench press on a slight incline (heavy enough you can only do 8)
3 sets of dumbbell flyes
2 sets decline dumbell press
3 sets barbell curls while walking
3 sets dumbbell curls with hammer grip

Day 2 Cardio
I did HIIT and burpees

Day 3 Legs/Delts
3 sets of 8 military press
2 sets upright rows
2 sets lateral raises
3 sets squats
3 sets dumbbell lunges
3 sets legg press

Day 4 Cardio

Day 5 back/triceps
3 sets of as many chinups you can do
3 sets of hyperextensions/backextensions
3 sets tbar rows w/ close grips
3 sets dips or rope pushdowns

I did most of these in my own place. I had a buddy with full weight equipment for a while but then I couldn't use his anymore, so I bought my own dumbells and adjusted things a little bit. For example, I couldn't do t-bar rows, but everything that involved barbells i just used dumbbells.

Now i'm in better shape, look better, feel better, **** better, get fucked more, etc. The list goes on, but I'm still not done getting in shape and I imagine it's a long term life change now.

End of the day, though, the body composition or weight didn't change until I got my diet in order.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
definitely don;t mind, but if the OP truly hates lifting, i'd start with about half this volume as to not turn him off too quickly.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
definitely don;t mind, but if the OP truly hates lifting, i'd start with about half this volume as to not turn him off too quickly.

Good point.
Plus, when I started I was just doing all the motions on my own, or maybe with heavy books or something. I weighed as much as he does and pretty much any real activity helped.

Deluks917

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
about 2-2.5/week is the healthiest target.
I've always wanted to ask this. What program would you recommend to someone who is trying to lose about that amount of weight a week without getting weaker. note; person is not entirely untrained.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
opinions vary, but cyclic ketogenic has worked well for me. everyone is probably sick of hearing it, but 14 weeks ago, i started at 243lbs with a 36.25 waist, 49 chest and 19.5" arms. now, i am 214, 33.5 waist, 47 ch3est, 18.85 arms. basically went 6 days with .25g of carbs per pound and 1 day at 3g per pound. have slightly adjusted it now to .35-.5 on non workout days, .75 on workout days and 2g once per week.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
also, i trained 4-5 days a week-3 days of 5 x 5, 2 days of high-rep, lactate inducing workouts.

GITU

Reaction score
Thanks all!

Any recommendations on making weight lifting fun?

And how long does it *really* take to see some results? These past two months, I've seen NOTHING.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GITU
Thanks all!

Any recommendations on making weight lifting fun?

And how long does it *really* take to see some results? These past two months, I've seen NOTHING.

Not to belabor the point, but it really just depends on your diet. You can work your ass off every day, but it'll be extremely hard to maintain a caloric deficit just from working out alone.

Once you start eating at 500 or 1,000 deficit each day coupled with the exercise, you'll notice things change pretty quickly.

Also, weight lifting gets a lot more fun once you start seeing some changes in your body comp.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads