or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Most Versatile Shoe Color - Burgundy vs. Brown?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Most Versatile Shoe Color - Burgundy vs. Brown?

post #1 of 74
Thread Starter 
Reading several thread about shoe color versatility. Some say brown others say burgundy. I would like to poll to see who says what.

Versatile would be matching with pretty much anything, from jeans to dress pants. Casual, Business Casual, Business Dress etc...
post #2 of 74
In general, I think burgundy is more versatile, but that's largely because there are lighter, tanner shades of brown that can be difficult to harmonize with a darker outfit. I hate it when someone's shoes are the brightest component of his outfit. On the other hand, I don't mind when shoes are darker than everything else.

Now, if the choice were between burgandy and dark brown, I think it would be more of a toss-up.
post #3 of 74
I recently purchased a burgundy pair of oxfords to go w/ my three suits:

navy blue pin stripe
light grey w/ light pin stripe
chocolate brown w/ dark pin stripe
post #4 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
In general, I think burgundy is more versatile, but that's largely because there are lighter, tanner shades of brown that can be difficult to harmonize with a darker outfit. I hate it when someone's shoes are the brightest component of his outfit. On the other hand, I don't mind when shoes are darker than everything else.

Now, if the choice were between burgandy and dark brown, I think it would be more of a toss-up.
+1 on this note.

Caveat...I strongly prefer almost any color brown for casual wear (Jeans , Khakis). It might just be me but Burgundy has more of a formal feel to it that lends itself to versatilty in the work place.

In other words...all browns not created equal. Dark brown very versatile. I don't like Burgundy as much the more casual you get.
post #5 of 74
Brown, hands down. The only advantage, if that that cordovan colored shoes would have over brown is that it can be worn with black, but who wears black?
post #6 of 74
Black shoes surely?
post #7 of 74
I personally think brown, but that might be that I like brown shoes better.
post #8 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbris1 View Post
Brown, hands down. The only advantage, if that that cordovan colored shoes would have over brown is that it can be worn with black, but who wears black?

My point of view is that burgundy shoes looks just as good as mid to dark brown shoes with grey pants. On the other hand, burgundy gets the edge when matched with blue suits.
post #9 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
My point of view is that burgundy shoes looks just as good as mid to dark brown shoes with grey pants. On the other hand, burgundy gets the edge when matched with blue suits.

+1
post #10 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
My point of view is that burgundy shoes looks just as good as mid to dark brown shoes with grey pants. On the other hand, burgundy gets the edge when matched with blue suits.
I don't agree.
post #11 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbris1 View Post
I don't agree.

The problem with darker shades of brown is that they can sometimes have a greyish cast to them. Blue cloth almost always has some greyishness in it. The combination clashes in a subtle but tangible way. My ideal brown shoes to match with blue would be a warm, dark brown.

Burgundy shoes don't have this problem.
post #12 of 74
Warm mid-brown. There's a certain, elusive shade, often seen on old longwings, that would be my choice for the One Shoe wardobe. Add a little patina, for color contrast, and I could wear it almost every day. I don't like burgundy. I tell myself I ought to, but I don't. I have a pair of shell bluchers in burgundy that sits unworn because of my inability to reconcile myself to this.
post #13 of 74
^^^ I admit, I love the look of warm, almost fiery, chestnut brown leather. Color #8 is boring in comparison, but it's still a nice color, and I personally find it far more wearable.
post #14 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
I don't like burgundy. I tell myself I ought to, but I don't. I have a pair of shell bluchers in burgundy that sits unworn because of my inability to reconcile myself to this.

I like burgundy only in shell; calf never.

I do think brown is more versatile, and I prefer it with navy.
post #15 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
I like burgundy only in shell; calf never.

Ok, maybe that's right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
I do think brown is more versatile, and I prefer it with navy.

But isn't there a Rule somewhere that says you're wrong about this?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Most Versatile Shoe Color - Burgundy vs. Brown?