• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stylish Films

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
If films have any affect at all on how you dress, what films influence your dress and why?

unicornwarrior

Reaction score
a clockwork orange.

I only wear white jumpsuits with bowler hats nowadays.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take most of my style cues from James Spader and Robert Downey Jr. in Less Than Zero. Also, I wouldn't mind looking like certain characters from certain Wes Anderson films. Robbie, have you ever seen Badlands? I think that would be my pick for you.
00025f.jpg

SecretService

Reaction score
Good topic Robbie. Any Wes Anderson flick immediately comes to mind even though I can't identify personally wardrobe wise with any characters. War movies are easy and any classic New York 60's movie works. I wear jeans and v-necks...that is every movie ever made. Jason Thick as Thieves should have a good answer.

PattyC

Reaction score
Quadrophenia and This Is England. Good mod and skinhead stuff in em.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
I take most of my style cues from James Spader and Robert Downey Jr. in Less Than Zero

Robbie, have you ever seen Badlands? I think that would be my pick for you.

I haven't, aside from the pedophilia it looks to be a decent film. And as far as style goes, denim/denim and a kick ass what is that caddy? In particular I found the 'excuse the grammar' bit nice.

Obviously a thread on this subject that doesn't mention 'Bullitt' is useless.

Recently "...Benjamin Button" has had a fairly large influence as they dressed Pitt in what I'd consider almost exclusively 'Americana'. I just like that they did it in a good way and not all geeky garb like a lot of other modern films set in that period.

Originally Posted by PinkPantser
Brick2.jpg

From l to r:
robin, robbie, tagutcow

thats pretty spot on, scary.

Secret Service- I'd have to agree with the Wes Anderson bit. Although unbeknownst to me at the time Bottle Rocket epitomized that late 90's thrift store cool I tried (and still try) to copy all through middle and high school. The Royal Tenenbaums is teeming with style also.

Polonius

Reaction score
"North By Northwest" Cary Grant
"Sabrina" Audrey Hepburn
"Breakfast at Tiffany's" Audrey Hepburn
"To Catch a Thief" Cary Grant and Grace Kelly
"Funny Face" Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn
"The Talented Mr. Ripley" Jude Law
"Casablanca" Humphrey Bogart
"Love in The Afternoon" Gary Cooper and Audrey Hepburn
"Brideshead Revisited" (miniseries with Jeremy Irons, not the recent movie)
"Jeeves and Wooster" (tv series with Hugh Laurie)
"Patton" George C Scott
"American Gigolo"
"Ocean's 11" Both versions, with Frank Sinatra and also the one with George Clooney

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Is that a flap breast pocket? Does it have action back too?
confused.gif

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

i always thought this was bad ass.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics