• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here on SF, there's a lot about fit being the most important aspect of dressing well. However, I'd venture that a lot of WAYWT posters (myself certainly included), have not entirely mastered the art of putting on clothes in a way that flatters their respective builds.

Some bodies are obviously easy than others to make look good in clothes. Superskinny guys such as Lel and Vashin seem to always look good, as do taller (but still very slim) ones like chronoaug and PinkPanster and insanely ripped ones like Eason.

Still, I get the sense that these guys all have a very good sense of what works for them, fit-wise. I'm interested in whether how they developed such great senses of fit, and whether it came gradually and naturally from trying different types of fits, or from one instance of analyzing their body types and figuring out tangible reasons that certain pieces did or did not work.

Even beyond typically good-looking guys, I find that some people just have an amazing eye for fit. For instance, F2B was quite awkwardly-proportioned, yet his clothes were very flattering, in an odd way. Even when JFK had a bit of a gut, his clothes fit him impeccably. Some of the workwear dudes also look good despite not being stick-thin.

So, I guess I have a lot of questions:
  • How did you go about figuring out what kind of fits work for you?
  • What specific aspects of a piece can emphasize torso taper, create illusion of narrower hips, elongate legs, etc.?
  • Can fit be as simple as wearing clothes that are slim, but not tight?
  • What exactly marks the difference between a purposely oversized piece and something that is simply too large?
  • Why is it that wearing skinny jeans and a more relaxed OCBD looks weird, while Patrik Ervell's whole chunky sweater-with-narrow trousers look works?
  • How does fabric/material affect fit in terms or drape?

I look forward to hearing all of your opinions; sorry for my usual wordiness.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How did you go about figuring out what kind of fits work for you?
Not all looks are for everyone. You may see something that looks fantastic on someone, so you go out and cop it. But you fail to consider factors such as whether you share a similar body type. Some times this can be avoided if you size appropriately. Other times, well, it's just not for you. I'll never be able to wear super skinny jeans, but I'm okay with that. So are my nuts. The key thing is that I've realized and accepted this and thus, won't be trying to make certain look work for me when it just can't.

Can fit be as simple as wearing clothes that are slim, but not tight?
Most of the time, I think. There's a fine line between slim and tight. I don't go for the tight look at all because I don't have the body for it. Then again, I don't really think the tight look works for most people, including the slim. It's all about knowing where that line is.

What exactly marks the difference between a purposely oversized piece and something that is simply too large?
I haven't figured that out myself. I feel there's a bit of a double-standard here. We'd rip on a lot of Hypebeast looks because they often recommend you size UP with stuff like tees. But SoCal (and this isn't meant as an attack) will wear some drapey outfit and people are bowing down to it. In this case, I guess intent should be considered. If it's meant to drape like that, they maybe it's acceptable. I still don't think it looks much better than wearing a baggy tee, though.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I look better in heavier fabric, although I don't make it my mantra. Sometimes being effortless outweighs wearing something that is perfect for you.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bobo wears a lot of baggy fits and he doesn't look bad in them. it's not all about the slimness.

a good fit can really be about how well your personal charisma resonates with your outfit.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
bobo wears a lot of baggy fits and he doesn't look bad in them. it's not all about the slimness. a good fit can really be about how well your personal charisma resonates with your outfit.
Good point. I'm a trad sort of guy, so that's what I wear and I'm very comfortable with it. For a brief period I wore more fashion forward stuff; it fit well and looked okay, but it wasn't me. Find what works for you.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
its about being comfortable in your clothes.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a fascinating area of inquiry, but I feel it will be hard to systematize.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm personally curious to hear more answers on this one. I've often wondered the same thing. I look at guys like yfyf, PinkPanster, Lel, Vashin, Chrono, Getsmart, Easton, etc and wonder if their stuf goes beyond "fitted" and is actually just too tight. I definately think in some cases it's pushing the bounds. Getsmarts stuff just looks like it's going to be uncomfortable to wear, as with several other posters.

I've started sizing down and tailoring almost all my clothes over the past year and a lot of my friends and family have said everything looks too tight. I still think it's actually just slim/fitted, but I'm constantly putting on older clothes that I thought were slim and finding them loose and baggy. Maybe it's all in the head?

anyone else find even the 28's and xs's at mainstream retailors have started to feel too big and baggy since joining S.F. and sizing down_and/or shrinking stuff?

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
bobo wears a lot of baggy fits and he doesn't look bad in them. it's not all about the slimness.

Again, it comes back to body type. Put a guy like me in Bobo's clothes, and it would just look sloppy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads