• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can I pull myself out of this self-induced rut?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I am 23.

I have a job with Target that allows me little more income than is necessary to exist (rent, etc). I have some college, but no degrees/certificates/etc. I am a hard worker, and I am appreciated as an employee... but I work for a massive corporation; and while I realize I am somewhat of an asset, in the grand scheme of things I am essentially replacable.

I can't advance much past where I am currently without a degree, and can't attend college on what little I make.

I am getting married soon and while I know my fiance will love me regardless of whether I am flat broke, or a millionaire... I cannot kid myself, my ego is tied to how successful I feel, and how well I feel I am contributing to our marriage financially. My fiance is not pressuring me, she is proud of my accomplisments and of me. I feel however I am not living up to my potential, and have a hard time being content.

I realize money =/= contentment, but I want to go back to school and use it as a stepping stone towards knowledge,money, and contentment etc.

I am just so intimidated by the idea of going back to a liberal arts college. I get overwhelmed, and feel I am taking 2-3 classes of no interest, and 1 maybe 2 with the smallest slivers of interesting course material.

Are there jobs/fields that don't require a formal education yet provide a person with the time/money to pursue their interests/leisure as well? I have tried to think of them, and never seem to come up with anything that doesn't completely suck.

I just don't feel like I learn in that environment. I don't do well in college. I apply myself and really put my nose down and still make poor grades. College can't be the only option and I really don't see myself enjoying something offered by a trade school.

I have toyed around withit, welding,electrician apprentice etc... and it just isnt for me.

I have taken multiple personality tests used to give me an idea of what careers might bring fulfilment.

I just am not there.

I realize few people enjoy their job, but if I have to tolerate a job/career I atleast want to make money.

HOW?

I hope I haven't asked the same question too many times, or a question that gets over asked here...

I just am looking for some perspective.

thanks.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I assume since you're asking this question that you aren't marrying up.

Have you thought about the military?

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are technical / vocational professions which can pay quite well in time.

Plumber, electrician, construction, information technologies and so on.

I don't know if you will like any of the stuff, but you can make money with those and down the road you can even start your own business in one of these fields and do really well for yourself.

You can also look into becoming a police officer, they get great benefits, make decent money and have upwards mobility.

No matter what you choose in life, there is no short cut (outside of being born into money).

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I don't think my view of the military and their business would make me a viable candidate for service.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by celery
There are technical / vocational professions which can pay quite well in time. Plumber, electrician, construction, information technologies and so on. I don't know if you will like any of the stuff, but you can make money with those and down the road you can even start your own business in one of these fields and do really well for yourself. You can also look into becoming a police officer, they get great benefits, make decent money and have upwards mobility. No matter what you choose in life, there is no short cut (outside of being born into money).
Yeah +1 Robbie, consider picking up a trade. They all make a solid living, and you can excel from there.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, pick up a trade. if you do it the right way you can build up a nice little stash of cash and one day open up your own operation.

my dad is a carpenter. he's been doing it for 25 years. it's all he knows. if he tried to network and get alot of jobs (its easy if you troll craigslists and similar places) he'd be really well off. he did a $1,000 job in three days last weekend all by himself. the moneys even better in other areas of construction. but he doesn't do it the right way.

if i wasn't going to college i'd learn a trade, network, do my own work, be my own boss and start my own operation.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the trade. Construction can pay really well, although right now it's really slow.

Working hard in a small organization gets noticed.

Johnathan

Reaction score
I'm not sure how much free time you have (it doesn't sound like much), but maybe some sort of volunteer work would at least make you feel like you were in less of a rut. I did it for a year and half during a pretty low period of my life and I don't know where I'd be if I hadn't.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I appreciate all the suggestions so far.

I have tried looking into some volunteer work Jonathan. I do a little with my church, but really need to look into something involving Adult Literacy. I worked with several functional illiterates, and it really pained me to see them trying to make sense of instructions, ordering food at lunch etc.

Thanks for the reminder man.

Keep the suggestions coming by the way, I really do appreciate them.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're right, working for a big corporation, you'll never get anything out of it other than a salary and benefits. I've worked for big business before and I will never in my life do it again, ever. They can contract me to work for me, but as an actual employee, never.

Whatever you do, don't force anything upon yourself. I'm 23 years old as well, and while I do have a degree, I don't have the slightest clue about what I want from life. I know very well what I don't want, and that's a start, but without knowing what you want and more importantly what you want to do, it makes things difficult and rather painful.

What I suggest you do is sit down one night and start writing down your strengths and weaknesses. Once you have them written down, cross out all your weaknesses and try to figure out how you can exploit your strengths. At this age, there's no point in trying to fix what's wrong with you. You are who you are, and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

It's a difficult spot that you're in, and trust me I know how much it sucks, but you'll eventually work through it.

Best!

Grenadier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
Are there jobs/fields that don't require a formal education yet provide a person with the time/money to pursue their interests/leisure as well?

Yes; in no particular order:

1. Prostitution
2. Drug dealing
3. Robbery
4. Online Gambling
5. Sheer chance
6. Long-term Disability

sloane3

Reaction score
Why don't you keep playing mickey mouse games on styleforum, posting pics of yourself so other men can comment on how your clothes fit?

The world needs ditchdiggers and people to ring me up at SuperTarget too.

Musselma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bawlin
At this age, there's no point in trying to fix what's wrong with you. You are who you are, and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

I hope this was sarcasm, because it's always worth it to try and make yourself a better person.

Aperipan

Reaction score
My cousin is a Yale graduate and guess what he does for a living now? He cuts hair. He also makes a lot of money, cutting hair. With my father's blessings, he may even have his own shop in the next few months. Our whole family is ******** on him but he had turned a dismal state of being into something quite lucrative.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Electricians and welders can get paid more than many 'professional' jobs, but you need at least levels of certification to get into them, and/or apprenticeships.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads