or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › How can I pull myself out of this self-induced rut?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How can I pull myself out of this self-induced rut? - Page 7

post #91 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyf View Post
Would working in a medical field be appealing? Look at certification as an x-ray technician, radiation therapist, nuclear medicine tech, etc. Two year technical degree, no college required; decent pay and hours; possibly personally rewarding? Otherwise, +1 to the trades.
+1 Someone I dated did this and is now a Resp. Therapist. Makes good money and loves her job. Minimal education.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Electricians and welders can get paid more than many 'professional' jobs, but you need at least levels of certification to get into them, and/or apprenticeships.
I haven't read all of the pages in this thread but the whole country is in desperate need of Lineman. It's outdoor, Union work and pays into the high $20's per hour. One just needs to take a math test to get into a union (check out IBEW). It can be physical work but it's really not that bad and it'll keep you in shape. Also, some companies will pay for you to go to school and in 2 years of school / work you'll be making great $ with a good job. ($40 / hr for overtime in storms and other bad weather) Target might have tuition reimbursement? I'd also just go to a community college to get the regular courses out of the road. I graduated from a private college and it was really a waste of money. If I had it to do over again, I'd go to a community college and then transfer to a regular college and get a degree at night in 2 years. Many schools now have this program if you have about 60 credits (or something like that). Trades are good $ at times but can be boring / slightly dangerous at times (if you aren't careful) but can be a short term plan while you take some classes and enjoy time with the wife...
post #92 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
Not everybody has $$$$ on the mind.
This forum is generally about expensive (nice) things: expensive clothes, expensive furniture, expensive art, expensive food, expensive homes/apartments, expensive cities, expensive travel. Since lots of money is required to obtain expensive things, one would suggest that most involved would be very money-driven. I think money is one of the most important things in the world if not the most important. Money allows you to do what you want. Money allows freedom of choice. Money enables happiness and satisfaction.
post #93 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post
If the OP follows on the path of his first post, he will try your suggestions and then decide that they "are not for him" because they might involve commitment, work, and perhaps a little discomfort. "Man, I went to a photography class but I didn't really like the chairs they made me sit on, so I went home."

Glad you think I'm a dick.

Bitter much?



Also, it's none of my business (but what the hell, this is the internet)...I agree with the people cautioning you against marriage. Early marriage can work, but it requires someone much more stable than you seem to be. You don't want to lock yourself down at this point in your life.
post #94 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
Bitter much?
No, just think the OP is someone who can't stand up and make a decision. Is that wrong?
post #95 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post
No, just think the OP is a pussy who can't stand up and make a decision. Is that wrong?
It's wrong to make a decision if you aren't reasonably certain that it is the right decision. You remind me of the Lee J Cobb character in 12 Angry Men.
post #96 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
It's wrong to make a decision if you aren't reasonably certain that is the right decision.

Ah, so you advocate "experimenting" with your life making minimum wage until you find something you like (welfare?), at say, age 45?
post #97 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post
This forum is generally about expensive (nice) things: expensive clothes, expensive furniture, expensive art, expensive food, expensive homes/apartments, expensive cities, expensive travel. Since lots of money is required to obtain expensive things, one would suggest that most involved would be very money-driven.

I think money is one of the most important things in the world if not the most important. Money allows you to do what you want. Money allows freedom of choice. Money enables happiness and satisfaction.

Can you do the Gordon Gekko speech?
post #98 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post
Ah, so you advocate "experimenting" with your life making minimum wage until you find something you like (welfare?), at say, age 45?

Well...if you say that is what I said, than that must be what I said.
post #99 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
Lot of good advice in this thread. I strongly recommend taking at least a few classes at a community college. It's a good way to get some gen eds taken care of, but beyond that it's a really good way to experiment with different fields without a lot of risk. I've always had an interest in film, but if it wasn't for the fact that my local community college has a video production program, I never would have gone in that direction simply because film school is such a huge investment. Since you're interested in photography, I would think photography classes would be beneficial, not just for the learning, but also for the opportunities to network and to share your work with others.

Now is the time for you to experiment and try new things. Do it.

No it is not. You are a dick.

Multiple +1's, for various points.
post #100 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
Well...if you say that is what I said, than that must be what I said.
To summarize the OP: - Don't want to get a degree (work) because taking classes is too hard (work is too hard). Especially, taking classes I am not interested in is too hard for me! - Looking for a job that doesn't require education (work) and provides money to allow someone to pursue interests/leisure activities (not work). - Don't see myself going to trade school because I wouldn't find myself "enjoying" it (work) - Don't see myself being a welder (work), electrician (work), apprentice (work) - Don't see myself figuring out what I want to do because personality tests don't show me careers that will bring me fulfillment (See above, I want to do no work to be able to not work) - If I have to "tolerate a job/career" (direct quote) I at least want to make money. - My gf will marry me even if I am flat broke. I guess she will take care of herself and our kids while I work at Target. . . . Are you fucking serious? This is a prime welfare candidate. Don't want to do anything (especially if it is not completely enjoyable) but want to make money. The lack of self-responsibility is astounding, and people here encourage it!
post #101 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post
This forum is generally about expensive (nice) things: expensive clothes, expensive furniture, expensive art, expensive food, expensive homes/apartments, expensive cities, expensive travel. Since lots of money is required to obtain expensive things, one would suggest that most involved would be very money-driven.

I think money is one of the most important things in the world if not the most important. Money allows you to do what you want. Money allows freedom of choice. Money enables happiness and satisfaction.

No doubt about it. But not everyone on this site is interested in working solely for the point of having enough money to buy expensive things. Just saying, some people are satisfied with being able to pay the bills and having just a little on the side, which is far different from "everybody wants to be wealthy."
post #102 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post
Jesus Christ.

You are 23 and working at Target because you're too much of a loser to take genuine action in your life. Your post is full of self-justifications and boils down to a list of things you don't want to do because they are "not for you." Wow. Ever think of doing something that you did not enjoy 100% in order to make some money and begin some sort of career? Stop being a lazy sack of shit working a mindless job and get up and do something with your life. You must be incredibly immature to say "I am just not there" at age twenty three. Grow the fuck up and decide what you want to do with yourself and do it. Otherwise you will wake up at 45 wondering where your life went. I can't believe you are getting married as directionless as you are.

I apologize for the tone of this post but I feel it is well deserved.

+1/2

You're getting married. I don't think you would really like to have kids, raise them on a Target salary, and have them working at the checkout stand next to you in 20 years. You may not be able to find a job you have a passion for, but is there anything you're good at? Just think about it, are you a hands-on person, or a thinker, or a technical type? Find a strength and put it to work. You may not love the job, but it would be more fulfilling than working a job high school kids do during the summer.
post #103 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post
Jesus Christ.

You are 23 and working at Target because you're too much of a loser to take genuine action in your life. Your post is full of self-justifications and boils down to a list of things you don't want to do because they are "not for you." Wow. Ever think of doing something that you did not enjoy 100% in order to make some money and begin some sort of career? Stop being a lazy sack of shit working a mindless job and get up and do something with your life. You must be incredibly immature to say "I am just not there" at age twenty three. Grow the fuck up and decide what you want to do with yourself and do it. Otherwise you will wake up at 45 wondering where your life went. I can't believe you are getting married as directionless as you are.

I apologize for the tone of this post but I feel it is well deserved.


beat me to it....


Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post
To summarize the OP:

- Don't want to get a degree (work) because taking classes is too hard (work is too hard). Especially, taking classes I am not interested in is too hard for me!

- Looking for a job that doesn't require education (work) and provides money to allow someone to pursue interests/leisure activities (not work).

- Don't see myself going to trade school because I wouldn't find myself "enjoying" it (work)

- Don't see myself being a welder (work), electrician (work), apprentice (work)

- Don't see myself figuring out what I want to do because personality tests don't show me careers that will bring me fulfillment (See above, I want to do no work to be able to not work)

- If I have to "tolerate a job/career" (direct quote) I at least want to make money.

- My gf will marry me even if I am flat broke. I guess she will take care of herself and our kids while I work at Target.

.
.
.

Are you fucking serious? This is a prime welfare candidate. Don't want to do anything (especially if it is not completely enjoyable) but want to make money. The lack of self-responsibility is astounding, and people here encourage it!

+1 again...
post #104 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
No doubt about it. But not everyone on this site is interested in working solely for the point of having enough money to buy expensive things. Just saying, some people are satisfied with being able to pay the bills and having just a little on the side, which is far different from "everybody wants to be wealthy."
Just to expand on my money-is-all-important comment: After a certain age, I would like to do whatever I want (with reason, of course.) I have a different hobby or interest practically every day, and I would like to explore whatever comes to my mind. Travel to a different country on a whim. Wake up on a Wednesday and decide over breakfast to fly to Paris. Decide to spend the next week in Tokio. Decide the next week to enroll in an intensive cooking seminar in NYC. Read the list of best restaurants in the world on SF, start knocking them down, one weekend after the other. The above requires quite a bit of money to sustain but is financially possible and attainable with proper planning, hard work, long hours and some sacrifice, especially in the twenties. I am already well on my way, and if I had sat around post-high school playing with my dick and complaining about how working "wasn't for me" I would never stand a chance of getting close. It's not about the love of money, it's about the love of the freedom that comes with it.
post #105 of 191
Money for freedom's sake I can understand and empathize with. Money for money's sake, well I must say I don't understand it but I still empathize.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › How can I pull myself out of this self-induced rut?