or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › How can I pull myself out of this self-induced rut?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How can I pull myself out of this self-induced rut? - Page 9

post #121 of 191
^Much better. Thank you for playing along.
post #122 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post
Driving around aimlessly for a year should help his cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambeur View Post
doesn't really sound like he has money or time to travel.
.

Sounds like Robbie (potentially) has lot's of time on his hands. Roadtripping... not too expensive, and can be done on the cheap. Maybe it's just me, but traveling in general helps me to put my life into perspective and I tend to enjoy them quite a bit. All I know is that after a certain point in my life, I won't be able to do such things anymore so why not take some time off to travel? Explore? Sitting down and getting into a trade/job you're only half into seems ok, but nothing I would recommend to someone if I was serious about their happiness.
post #123 of 191
Didn't read the whole thread, but how about bartending or something? You'll make more $, and get to meet and be chummy with people who might know people who could get you into something.
post #124 of 191
First off I'd like to say some of the responses in this thread are funny as hell. I've been laughing out loud at a couple responses and people around me are giving me the WTF face.

My advice I would give you is to just go to a university. If you don't know what to do that's probably the best thing. I had a lot of interests going into college...not all of them were related, but I eventually found what I wanted to do and now I'm pursuing that. Just think about what interests you and keep that in mind while you take classes. Only you can really figure out what you want to do. Obviously if your interests are construction, welding, etc I wouldn't recommend going to college, but if you really aren't sure why not go to college and network. At the very least you'll come out with a bachelors degree. Like Teger said, once you get married you'll probably get college all paid for, so why not.

Some people on this thread are being harsh, but at the same time they're right. You're 23 and working at Target and planning to get married soon? You have to figure out a plan in your life...or else it's going to be rough being married and working at Target. If nothing else just go get a construction job, or get a job in a machine shop. At least those offer some tangible skills and knowledge and sure would beat the hell out of working at Target. Target offers you nothing. There are really no skills being learned or used working at Target. I would seriously try to find a new job ASAP if nothing else.
post #125 of 191
I've never heard that marriage gets you through college for free. Is it just public schools?
post #126 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
I've never heard that marriage gets you through college for free. Is it just public schools?

I'm not sure on the marriage, but my thinking was that combined, him and his wife don't make much money, therefore he would basically get a free ride through college through grants. Or at the very least really low interest loans.
post #127 of 191
Robbie, have you considered any kind of entrepeneurship? Take something you love (Coke, I guess?) and try to turn it into a small business opportunity - selling on Ebay, mail-order, a small shop, whatever. I read (latest Readymade, I think) about a college liberal arts major who turned his college hobby of printing t-shirts into a legit retail opportunity in your neck of the woods.

I've been in a similar rut for a while (abetted by making enough money at my current job to not particularly give a fuck - I'm poor by StyleForum standards, but comfortable), but I'm going back to school for marketing/business this fall.

I've spent years halfheartedly pursuing English/history and fine arts - but the truth is I don't want to be a teacher or academic, and I don't have the mindset to be a commercial photographer. Nor do I want to punch a clock for the rest of my life in an unrewarding office job subject to the whims of others. So I'm trying to figure out a way to fit my aesthetic and sociological interests into business - right now I'm looking at places like 20x200.com, tinyshowcase.com, even 'curated' retail spaces like SelfEdge and Stronghold LA as inspiration.

I might fail miserably, but I feel like my life is moving forward more right now than it has been in years.
post #128 of 191
Being married lets you file a FAFSA as an independent couple.
post #129 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post
Being married lets you file a FAFSA as an independent couple.

I think Lassie's trying to tell us something!
post #130 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagutcow View Post
I think Lassie's trying to tell us something!

this this thread sucks because the premise was 'how can I pay to send myself through school' and everyone instead laid out really complex career paths.

you don't have to pay. the government and your school will for you. don't sweat it
post #131 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post
you don't have to pay. the government and your school will for you. don't sweat it
Not really applicable to most people but I get your point.
post #132 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aperipan View Post
Not really true at all but I get your point.

very true actually.

there are like 4 ways out of having to put your parents information on a fafsa:

1. over 25
2. military veteran
3. married
4. both parents are dead/emancipated minor.
post #133 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post
very true actually.

there are like 4 ways out of having to put your parents information on a fafsa:

1. over 25
2. military veteran
3. married
4. both parents are dead/emancipated minor.

You get to skip your parents' info on the calendar year during which you turn 24. I'm 23 now, but turn 24 later this year, and filed FAFSA as independent since I'm hoping to go back to school soon. My EFC was still 8K+, though; does being married really make that much of a difference? I suppose that depends on combined household income.
post #134 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threak View Post
You get to skip your parents' info on the calendar year during which you turn 24. I'm 23 now, but turn 24 later this year, and filed FAFSA as independent since I'm hoping to go back to school soon. My EFC was still 8K+, though; does being married really make that much of a difference? I suppose that depends on combined household income.

if you are working at target and married yea dude, it makes a huge difference.
post #135 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by milosz View Post

I've spent years halfheartedly pursuing English/history and fine arts - but the truth is I don't want to be a teacher or academic, and I don't have the mindset to be a commercial photographer. Nor do I want to punch a clock for the rest of my life in an unrewarding office job subject to the whims of others. So I'm trying to figure out a way to fit my aesthetic and sociological interests into business - right now I'm looking at places like 20x200.com, tinyshowcase.com, even 'curated' retail spaces like SelfEdge and Stronghold LA as inspiration.

I might fail miserably, but I feel like my life is moving forward more right now than it has been in years.

Dude, if you figure this out... tell me your secret. Please.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › How can I pull myself out of this self-induced rut?